Remap 1998 1.8T

sassybo

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am picking up my Audi on saturday - and only found this site tonight. I have been reading up on ukmkivs net as i realised that early golf gti turbo's have the same engine as the audi i'm getting. From info on there i have booked into Chipped UK for a remap next week. There price is £250 + VAT which i thought is reasonable however i have to travel for 3 hours to get there. Local to me is a Revo dealer who charges £100 more for what is effectively the same service but he doesn't have a rolling road. His figures quoted are 190BHP and 225 lb/foot. Chipped UK say they can get similar BHP but seem to not want to quote a torque figure? i have only been in contact via email, but have asked a few times with no answer to that question?
I had never heard of MRC before but on their site they quote a lower torque figue - 213 lb/foot.

Do you guy's think i should stick with the Chipped UK remap as surely everyone can get similar figures or do they differ loads?

Cheers and sorry for the long first post..........

There are loads of tuning companies out there - Just depends on how much you want to spend. I've heard good things about Chipped UK. But my question to them would be: Why are they £200 cheaper than their competitors? I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for. Do a search on here and make up your own mind. I spent about 3 weeks deciding on who to use.

Big Boys Toys in Thurrock remaped my 1.8t with a Chipped Uk map, went to them as i needed some other bits fitted and repaired on the car so made sense to get it all done together.

Very pleased with the remap, pulls so much better then before and is quite smooth.

My car is completely standard in way of exhuast, intercoolers etc so was only looking for a genric remap, plus its a 1999 car so can't be remapped over the serial port, i beleive all cars this age have to have the ECU out to be reprogrammed

I have had the car rolling roaded since at a place who ran a standard 1.8t at 155bhp and my had 188bhp and 225 lb/foot, so i think the claims/results are about right. Not that i want to start a RR debate!!

It deffinately not as quick as a friends revo'd ibiza but that has a KO3s turbo and is lighter, not a very helpful comparison i know but don't know anyone else with a A3.

MRC are big with the larger Audis, S4's RS4 etc, think a few S3 owers have used them. Speaking to a couple of guys the other with 400-500bhp S4's who always use MRC.

MRC will charge you £500 but you get a custom remap which is writen specific to you car and takes into account any other mods you have done like de-cat exhuast etc

'At the end of the day' i'm happy with the Chipped up remap, and it make the car much more fun to drive!!

Thanks Guy's
I think i will still to the chipped uk map, i will still drive there and get it done!!

S3TLE - is the car much quicker than before?? what do you estimate the 0-60 improvement to be?? i know that 0-60 means nothing but in terms of a comparison to others etc..

If its a should you remap or not question then YES DO IT! anything like a 40bhp increse is very noticable. I don't even know off the top of my head what a standard 1.8t 0-60 should be so can't really answer that, do a forum search it has been discussed before. Where i really notice the power gain is from 2500 or 3000rpm and up, makes the car much better for over taking and acclerating out of corners etc..

You will definately notice a good difference and you will be smiling more on return three hour journey!!

It shouldn't be a question of should i remap or not (you should) just who you get to do it!

honestly guys you never mention them but trust me angel tuning are really good over 40yrs up and running there doing something properly i had a chipped uk map on my car originally and then got angel down and they jujst laughed at the crap job or map they done and now the car is as fast as a s.............i aint gunna start a argument again seriously try them www.angeltuning.co.uk

I've got REVO on my '98 A3 1.8T. I made 192bhp/218lb-Ft at AMDs rolling road.

I prefer the option of being able to switch the remap on and off via the SPS1.

With regards the differant max power from the companies you've mentioned, in reality they're all quoting the same. No 2 rolling roads will give the same results. You may notice slight differences in the delivery of the power from the differant remaps, but on the road they'll all feel pretty much the same.

I think you'll probably be happy with whoever you choose, the one thing i'd consider is having it done closer to home. In the unlikely event of a problem i'd want the dealer a lot nearer than 3 hours away.

Chipped UK it will be.

My other question is if i want a forge 007 DV, will i need to fit it before the map or can i fit it after and benefit from the map?

Tallpaul said:
I've got REVO on my '98 A3 1.8T. I made 192bhp/218lb-Ft at AMDs rolling road.

I prefer the option of being able to switch the remap on and off via the SPS1.

With regards the differant max power from the companies you've mentioned, in reality they're all quoting the same. No 2 rolling roads will give the same results. You may notice slight differences in the delivery of the power from the differant remaps, but on the road they'll all feel pretty much the same.

I think you'll probably be happy with whoever you choose, the one thing i'd consider is having it done closer to home. In the unlikely event of a problem i'd want the dealer a lot nearer than 3 hours away.

Which Revo did you use? and is your car standard (other than map?)

sassybo said:
Which Revo did you use? and is your car standard (other than map?)

What do you mean which one? There is only one REVO map available for the '98 AGU 1.8T:

http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=189

I had it done here:

http://www.more-go.com/

Dave Goddard is a top bloke and his Mrs will make you a nice Cuppa while he flashes the ECU :)

Apart from the Remap i have:

Carbonio CAI
Forge 007p (Green Spring)
Lots of Forge Silicone Hoses (including TIP)

The 007p is completely passive so it doesn't matter when you fit it. It won't affect the power or characteristics of the remap. It is simply a more dureable version of the OE DV.

Yeah! Where should have been my question!!

I have a REVO guy near me so i may actually sway for this - as of the £100 more expensive he is i will save £50 worth of fuel and like you say any problems and he's on my doorstep!!

How is the delivery of power on the Revo? i have driven a friends 1.8T Quattro on a 51 plate which had been revo'd and it felt nice!

Here are my dyno plots:

Power Curve

powergraph.jpg

Torque Curve

TorqueGraph.jpg

As you can see the power delivery is very linear and it holds boost fairly well through the revs, it's still making just shy of 200lb/ft @ 5000rpm. Not bad considering the K03 turbo is fairly small, it's tailed off badly by 6000rpm but this is due to the turbo/exhaust - nothing to do with the remap. Basically you have to change gear @ 5500rpm. A full turbo back exhaust system will slightly de-restict the turbo, probably open it up all the way to 6000rpm :)

Seems like money well spent then!!!! how do you get on with the German plates? i would like to get some with the surrounds but am worried about people removing them? are they easy to steal??

I think i need some new wheels as the ones i'm getting are fairly corroded. But i don't think my budget at the moment stretches further than the car and remap!!

sassybo said:
how do you get on with the German plates? i would like to get some with the surrounds but am worried about people removing them? are they easy to steal??

I get on just fine with them. If someone wanted to steal them, they could. Same as anything really.