Is the S3 and 4Motion rear diff interchangeable?

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Do you guys know if the rear differential and haldex coupling would be 100% interchangeable between the Audi S3 and the Golf Mk4 4Motion? My brother's got a golf 4motion and his rear diff has just gone, he bought an S3 rear diff and haldex coupling from e-bay (clicky) and he wanted me to ask around for him if it'll be a problem fitting.

He was specifically worried about the software compatibility and something about the S3 4wd being made by Torsen and the golf 4motion made by Haldex and so are different... is this true?

I think they are both the same Def, they are definitely both Haldex systems on the Golf V6 and S3, the torsen system is only used on bigger
Audi's like A4 upwards and Passat 4Motions.

Just checked etka mate, the haldex couplings, and rear diff are exactly the same part numbers, so are 100% interchangeable

S3Steve said:
Just checked etka mate, the haldex couplings, and rear diff are exactly the same part numbers, so are 100% interchangeable

Thanx for the info so far guys, btw this is defrato's bro... i'll be writing and replying to this post instead of him (since the issue concerns my car and i'm doing his head in :motz: )

I just spoke to AMD/BBT (Shawn) and they told me that the S3 diff would fit but i have to make sure it came off an S3 with identical 'GEARING' to mine. I then spoke to Awesome GTI (Deen) and they told me that they've done this 'conversion' before (even though he said it wasn't really a conversion and just a replace), this made me believe what he's telling me since they've got experience. They said they'll take the job on also which makes me more comfortable.

Just to be on the safe side, i'm going to try and get the vin number of the car the S3 diff came off, i'll call VW and check if the gearing on that car is the same as mine... i think that'll cover it all pretty much.

Anything else you guys think i should ask?

S3Steve said:

Hi Steve, I managed to get the partnumber(s) of the rear diff off the S3. How do I use etka to check the gearing that this S3 had? here are the numbers:

02D 525 230A (on the end ) and along the diff body: FGT 18085 2504, ZSB 020 525 010 P

cheers

The part numbers for the rear driveshafts are the same mate, the fronts are a bit more complicated as there appears to be different part no's relating to different chassis numbers on the S3.

Ive just read this post on uk-mkivs.net !!! Ha Ha !! Glad to hear your bro has got it sorted out.