Facelift Results of Dyno Day for Stock 8v S3 Facelift

Firstname_lastname

in ur base killin ur doodz
Reaction score
So me and a bunch of lads from work decided to go for a dyno day at a local tuners, we've been meaning to do it for a while but never quite got around to it.

We had a fair smattering of different cars, and the results we interesting to say the least.

First up an older Fn2 civic type R, it made 197 BHP on the nose, with the quoted torque figure.

Next a Focus ST mountune MR300, which made 257 BHP, with 452 NM of torque, the lad who drives it was a bit disappointed, as the MR300 is supposed to make 300 ish.

Next, and the is one was a shock, a pre facelift mk7 golf R, only had the snow grate and the air intake modded, as in cut out, not an after market, it made 339 BHP and 436 NM, i was a little suspicious at this point so we did it again, and sure enough it made the same power.

Next my 8V S3 facelift which made 311 BHP and 424 NM of torque, torque was up from quoted, but the power was pretty much where is should be.

Next a facelift mk7 Golf R, which made 326 BHP and 425 NM, again this is over stock, so we ran it again and the same results.

Lastly a BMW m135I which made 321 BHP and 417 NM, which is pretty damn close to what BMW quotes.

in conclusion, the snow grate removal and air intake mod looks like it does make a difference, as non of these cars have been remapped, and i thought that Golf R was rapid when i was in it, but that's a lot over stock.

I have all the dyno print outs if any one is interested.

So me and a bunch of lads from work decided to go for a dyno day at a local tuners, we've been meaning to do it for a while but never quite got around to it.

We had a fair smattering of different cars, and the results we interesting to say the least.

First up an older Fn2 civic type R, it made 197 BHP on the nose, with the quoted torque figure.

Next a Focus ST mountune MR300, which made 257 BHP, with 452 NM of torque, the lad who drives it was a bit disappointed, as the MR300 is supposed to make 300 ish.

Next, and the is one was a shock, a pre facelift mk7 golf R, only had the snow grate and the air intake modded, as in cut out, not an after market, it made 339 BHP and 436 NM, i was a little suspicious at this point so we did it again, and sure enough it made the same power.

Next my 8V S3 facelift which made 311 BHP and 424 NM of torque, torque was up from quoted, but the power was pretty much where is should be.

Next a facelift mk7 Golf R, which made 326 BHP and 425 NM, again this is over stock, so we ran it again and the same results.

Lastly a BMW m135I which made 321 BHP and 417 NM, which is pretty damn close to what BMW quotes.

in conclusion, the snow grate removal and air intake mod looks like it does make a difference, as non of these cars have been remapped, and i thought that Golf R was rapid when i was in it, but that's a lot over stock.

I have all the dyno print outs if any one is interested.
Please post the graphs, did you do a light run in by any chance?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes i did run it in lightly, because that's what the Audi tech told me to do, and there was so much conflicting information about what to do running it in i decided i'd just do what they said... suffice to say the two golf R drivers drove their respective cars like they stole them, from day one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i did run it in lightly, because that's what the Audi tech told me to do, and there was so much conflicting information about what to do running it in i decided i'd just do what they said... suffice to say the two golf R drivers drove their respective cars like they stole them, from day one.
My car made good power and I drove it fairly hard so looks like a running theme

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be really ****** off if the Audi Tech gave me duff information, out of all the people on the planet they are supposed to be the ones who know right?

anyway, 310 PS is the quoted figures for a Facelift, so i guess i can't complain.

I got question
What gear was use on dyno?

I got question
What gear was use on dyno?

So they did the runs in 3rd or 4th, so the idea is to get a ratio that's as close to 1:1 as possible, which makes a lot of sense, however the ratios are a little different in the pre face lift golf R to the face lift s3 and R (which were identical, unsurprisingly), and i think they did the m135i in 4th or 5th.

Reactions: lucaslfc
So they did the runs in 3rd or 4th, so the idea is to get a ratio that's as close to 1:1 as possible, which makes a lot of sense, however the ratios are a little different in the pre face lift golf R to the face lift s3 and R (which were identical, unsurprisingly), and i think they did the m135i in 4th or 5th.
For dq250 and dq381 proper gear to run on dyno is 4th. Yes gear retios are different between pre and fecelifted S/R but 4th gear in both transmissions are close 1:1 as possible.

I'll be really ****** off if the Audi Tech gave me duff information, out of all the people on the planet they are supposed to be the ones who know right?

anyway, 310 PS is the quoted figures for a Facelift, so i guess i can't complain.
Just because it makes more power doesn't mean it's the best way and tyres can make a big difference on a dyno. Worn tyres give higher figures

Glad my snow grate and oem mod are proving true results

Reactions: lucaslfc, azibux1, Salik Sajid and 1 other person
Just because it makes more power doesn't mean it's the best way and tyres can make a big difference on a dyno. Worn tyres give higher figures

Just a question then since the S3 is delivered with both a 18” and 19” option. In which way will a 225/40/18 setup differ from a 235/35/19 setup?

We have dyno'd a lot and the face lift's always do 309-311

Rick

That's good to know, which ever way you slice it any type of S3 can never be considered to be a slow car, what are you seeing from Golf R's is it similar power? or do VW play with the "wiggle room" more than Audi? I also noticed that the stock air intake on the S3 although identical to the golf has an extra bit of plastic covering it, you can see it through the grill on the golf, the top of the grill on the S3 is solid, does that mean the air has to travel up through the second slat on the grill to the airbox? does that mean it's a little more restricted?

Was on the rollers today did the intake mod yesterday but left the pannel in the grill but cut the right side vent so air can get in
324bhp facelift s3 stock
A lot of cars were down on power was a bmw day so happy at my figures

Reactions: lucaslfc and Firstname_lastname
Was on the rollers today did the intake mod yesterday but left the pannel in the grill but cut the right side vent so air can get in
324bhp facelift s3 stock
A lot of cars were down on power was a bmw day so happy at my figures

That's pretty good going, those EA888 engines in the VAG cars are a work or art, I am going to mod my airbox once i get my forge r600 silicone intake pipe. I am 90% sure i am going to get it remapped too.

I never really noticed it until i heard my own car from the outside, but it makes some nice pops and crackles on the overrun, the sound deadening inside the S3 is excellent, so you hear something is going on, but your not really sure what, however i want more of that, much more.