Head gasket and skimming on s3

Henry1302

Reaction score
So for a long time I had a minor coolant loss, I assumed it was a pin ***** in the radiator or a hose, took it for its service and they found it coming from the head, it’s leaking externally not internally which is good news. So they’ve taken the head off and now it’s disassembled they’ve suggested I get it skimmed, there’s no visual evidence of an issue but they can’t be certain it’s in perfect order.

I suppose I have 3 questions,

Is a head gasket a common issue on these cars (its a 2009 with a hair under 60k miles)

And am I being had on by being told the head needs skimming?

I have told them to do it as I’ve spent that much on the car in the last 12 months I need to run it into the ground to water down how much it has cost so far. So I want to know it’s right.

Third part to the question is the dsg, do many people have experience of piling the miles on these? Do they tend to get unreliable or if properly maintained can they be equivalent to a manual?

I love the car when it works but it has without a doubt been the most expensive car I have owned to keep going- and I used to own an FD rx7!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: S. and S38pkyle-ing
Mate I’ve had he exact same drama.... had a real slow coolant leak, took about 5/6 week to lose a whole tank. We thought it was the water pump but they was fine! :/ Got my mate to track the problem to the leak coming from the head, we suggested getting it sent off to be skimmed but first we tried something called leaked stop. It says on the bottle it has a 99% success rate and my
Mate said he’d had success in the past with it. I put it through the system about two weeks ago and so far not lost a single drop of coolant more. so far so good, I’d say at least give that a shot see if it works. I’ll Be keeping an eye on mine and hopefully that’s the fault sorted