Facelift Known fault with FL RS3 - ticking exhaust valve..

I'm not happy either way, if it cant take the heat or use after 3k miles then its not fit for purpose!

Offside worse than the nearside

That’s awful! Mine look pitted but I thought it was down to lack of cleaning. Black tips are more of a curse than a blessing, I find I am maintaining them less.

Do you use any heavy duty cleaners on them? I can see Audi dishing out a LOT of backboxes for these cars until we all end up with exhausts that are flaking and Audi decide they won’t keep replacing.

On another note.....

The New exhaust is at the dealers..........

Could've had it done this week, however it's not convenient for me so am booked in for the 27th........

On another note.....

The New exhaust is at the dealers..........

Could've had it done this week, however it's not convenient for me so am booked in for the 27th........

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Mine is booked in on the 28th until the 2nd, lets see if it gets sorted.

This was the bugbear of many an RS4/RS5/RS6 owner for a while, the chrome used to look terrible after a while, however on those the oval is only a trim piece so was hell of a lot cheaper to replace at £120 a side

Reactions: DW81
This was the bugbear of many an RS4/RS5/RS6 owner for a while, the chrome used to look terrible after a while, however on those the oval is only a trim piece so was hell of a lot cheaper to replace at £120 a side

It’s a bit silly that they are welded onto the backbox, great for longevity but no good when the anodising is pants haha!

Perhaps Audi will start training their tech’s how to weld

It’s a bit silly that they are welded onto the backbox, great for longevity but no good when the anodising is pants haha!

Perhaps Audi will start training their tech’s how to weld

The problem is they will do anything to wriggle out of this as they did on the RS4 etc issue.......

Especially when it'll cost them a lot more to replace on the '3........

everything is getting made cheaper thats more than likely why the trims are pitting so quickly....

I decided to clean the rear brake hubs yesterday (in another thread) i was just going to remove the rust, however the silver coating came off so easily i decided to strip it off the hub completely and polish the hubs instead, then seal with C5........and am glad i did now.

Assuming this is easy enough to do? The rusty hubs are a real issue for me. Really poor to see on a month old £60k car.

I did manage to get Audi to paint the hubs on my RS3 but they just rusted through again within a matter of weeks!!

Reactions: DW81, T-800 and billymc92
Well the old sports exhaust seems ok after 2 years 4 months and 41k miles

TX.

Assuming this is easy enough to do? The rusty hubs are a real issue for me. Really poor to see on a month old £60k car.

I did manage to get Audi to paint the hubs on my RS3 but they just rusted through again within a matter of weeks!!

Very easy.
A little elbow grease to remove the **** poor silver coating.

But look better for it.

It is ridiculous but I can see me having to fix it myself, get the tips cut off and annodised properly which I doubt will be cheap.

Mine have been painted black now and look real smart, I’m 400 miles in and it looks great I just hope it lasts. The paint used was designed for engine blocks and is labelled as a “ceramic coat” and not a paint and bonds into the metal. Cost me £150 to have them removed and £100 for the paint.

Very easy.
A little elbow grease to remove the **** poor silver coating.

But look better for it.

Wow that polished finish looks amazing!! How did you manage that? Dremel and metal polish would be my tools of choice

Here are mine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: teslaboy, T-800 and DW81

Yes, you are correct. Those are the 3 separate problems with the exhaust.
I've only got two of them.. Yey..

No cleaners used. Car was detailed when new so only use snow foam and Gtechniq wash - nothing else.

A quote from an Oz RS3 owner this morning about his replacement

"Ok folks I've picked mine up. I can confirm the part is indeed called "silencer", with the part number as listed by Stephen. The tinny rattle is essentially completely gone and as a result there is a noticeable improvement in the overall sound, particularly when the valves are closed. The timbre of the sound is thankfully unchanged and volume wise I'm pretty sure it's actually even slightly louder although I could be wrong. There is a very slight squeaking sound from the back of the exhaust although I suspect it's simply due to being brand new (I've only driven it the few kilometers home from the dealership and that's it)."

And he quotes a part number

"Hey guys. I believe I just had this fix done today. The part was a weird special order and they told me the same thing...it was about the length of the car. I have the euro (but oem) bypass pipes and at first they noted they were non-stock but my SA found the Audi part #s. Anyhow, this is the part number of what they replaced...and the retail price was almost $1800:

8V5-253-181CP "Silencer" -- I think this is the entire mid-rear section of the exhaust including the valves. I noticed that Cars245.com doesn't even have the "CP" revision in their system yet, only the CF version of this part number."

Although the part number he quotes isn't that new........but he says it sorted his issues.

Reactions: Macintosh88
No cleaners used. Car was detailed when new so only use snow foam and Gtechniq wash - nothing else.

That’s awful. I will keep a closer eye on mine now but all seems ok for now, anyway it’s booked in for the rattle fix.

Excellent. Mine has this issue. Audi can sort the squealing brakes at the same time.

Reactions: AudiNutta

Thanks for forwarding on the quotes, interesting! It has taken away some of my concerns now, still waiting on your feedback though on the 27th.

What is the difference between the “CP” and “CF” system?

Excellent. Mine has this issue. Audi can sort the squealing brakes at the same time.

Good luck with the brakes!! I haven’t even bothered asking, just a waste of time. I don’t think I could make the car do it planned on Audi’s presence, it’s only after long periods of light braking it does it.

I noticed today for the first time the ticking exhaust. It was worse the first time I got in the car today and seemed to come back if I left the car for a couple of hours. The noise goes away very quickly however for me right now - within maybe 10-20 seconds.

So what causes this?

Thanks for forwarding on the quotes, interesting! It has taken away some of my concerns now, still waiting on your feedback though on the 27th.

What is the difference between the “CP” and “CF” system?

Be nice to know the physical differences. Do the OZ cars have the pre-cats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the same for everyone... only on cold starts

Mine doesn't just do it on cold starts as I thought, It can do it when the car is up to temperature too. I can have a good 20 mile drive and then come to park up and slip it into neutral and blip the throttle ever so slightly and you can hear the rattle clear as day but doesn't seem to do it every time.

Gave the car a good 3 hour wash today and had to move it forward about 10 foot on my drive so the misses could pull in and straight away - rattle rattle rattle. Embarrassing because its all I can hear now. . Roll on the 27th for an update!

Reactions: T-800 and AudiNutta
@AudiNutta @D0C

Didn't manage to pressure wash my discs & brakes last weekend & started squealing like a pig now.

Couldn't be ar$ed last weekend as it was so cold - so much for the audi fix dampers lol

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus !!!!

That is a bizarre & annoying sound.

WTF are Audi playing releasing cars in this condition ?????

He’s got a fairly modified car... so to be fair to Audi on this one... they didn’t release a car in that condition

Reactions: billymc92, AudiNutta, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Wow, that sounds terrible! Does sound like the noise it makes on cold starts.

It does sound similar to the cold start noise, doesn't sound like a rattle more like cylinders exhausting into a can. I've found this noise reduces if I run individual mode with engine/gearbox in dynamic but keep exhaust sound in comfort.

Anyone else get the same result ?? Its almost like the wastegate is kept open during cold starts and also at lower rpm's when in comfort. Anything other than comfort and the wastegate is closed more (to provide boost, can hear turbo spooling earlier)

@AudiNutta @D0C

Didn't manage to pressure wash my discs & brakes last weekend & started squealing like a pig now.

Couldn't be ar$ed last weekend as it was so cold - so much for the audi fix dampers lol

Honestly I can’t remember the last time mine were pressure washed, has to be 4/5 weeks ago and I’ve had no squealing yet. Only after 300 miles on the motorway and it was so slight, it’s gone then.

The squealing isn’t that bad on the Facelift depending on use, I won’t be changing my pads before they wear out because basically I don’t have an issue.. but when they are replaced, it will be for an aftermarket pad.

That’s great news

Considering you had lots of squealing early on ... maybe once the face lift discs & pads bed in, the issue lessens.

The more I listen the more it sounds like it’s a heat shield or something similar rattling against the exhaust... the acceleration must cause more vibration therefore causing the noise every time

That’s great news

Considering you had lots of squealing early on ... maybe once the face lift discs & pads bed in, the issue lessens.

Yes I did have a lot but now it is very rare, which I am very happy about. It all depends on how the car is used, short trips with stop starting and it won’t be an issue.. only becomes an issue when you apply very little pressure for extended periods of time.

I will still jet wash my discs for good measure when I think of it, amazing how much comes out.

Have you guys seen this? It seems like someone had his exhaust replaced and the new one doesn’t rattle (and sounds better too?):

Reactions: RS3-Rob and Phil3
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…