Surprised

Leevr

Reaction score
Having down sized from an RS3 8p to the S3 8V, I have to say I'm impressed with the acceleration from 3rd through the gears (manual obviously). With just myself in the car giving it the beans it accelerated much better than I thought. To be honest I wasn't expecting great things. I know it's got 292 bhp ish, but I've given it the occasional blip and thought yep that ok. But have to say it covers the ground very well. Upwards and onwards. As a manual I'm limited to what increases in HP with regards to the chocolate clutch IAIN can achieve. Will have to see over time how I feel about the power. Anyone else dropped displacement, cylinders and HP?

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Tom.H
The S3 8V is a phenomenal car, I test drove a gla45 & s3 8v, the s3 had grinning 30 seconds into the drive & all the way through, the gla bored me to death.

Power was beautiful.

Reactions: davc, The Challinor and Leevr
I didn't think my S3 pre face lift S-tronic was that fast,then l got a face lift model that's far more responsive l know the power outputs of both cars are virtually the same, but the 6 speed S-stronic wasn't that responsive except in S mode which is a PITA to use constantly ,where as the 7 speed S-tronic is, as for the manual box l haven’t driven one but it should be a hoot to drive when revved up

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Leevr
I didn't think my S3 pre face lift S-tronic was that fast,then l got a face lift model that's far more responsive l know the power outputs of both cars are virtually the same, but the 6 speed S-stronic wasn't that responsive except in S mode which is a PITA to use constantly ,where as the 7 speed S-tronic is, as for the manual box l haven’t driven one but it should be a hoot to drive when revved up

Are you noticing a big difference Jassy? I never drove the PFL. I know not everybody is a fan but I think the 7 speed is brilliant, very responsive in auto and manual modes.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
A lot of the feel of performance in the lower gears is simply the gearing.
3rd gear in the manual S3 is a very good gear for fast back road driving and is good enough from very low speeds to above motorway speeds..........for those old enough early Cosworths in their day started at circa 220bhp and the world went crazy for them, we have never had so much controllable performance on tap as we do now. The change from the 8p RS to 8v S isn't that great mind, the next S (rumoured 350bhp) and RS will be interesting as the constant increase in bhp is pushing the historically very powerful cars unnecessarily high, therefore more kit is thrown at them making the prices way too high.

Never be shy reving the S3 motor, it is designed to rev, responds very well and if you use the top end you are travelling mighty quickly.

The only thing I miss from big M/AMG motors is the ease of torque in the low to middle, not the top end. Nothing quite like wafting in the mid range.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Leevr
I loved the power and grip in my S3, I miss that a bit now I have the A5, the front wheels have spun a couple of times in the last week! But that could just be down to me getting used to the lazy mans transmission ;)

When the new S3 is out I will 100% look at that for my next one!!! :)

Reactions: Leevr
Are you noticing a big difference Jassy? I never drove the PFL. I know not everybody is a fan but I think the 7 speed is brilliant, very responsive in auto and manual modes.
Vast difference mate, to put it simply, it puts a big smile on my face lol best car l have owned, wish I could say the same about the colour lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn and TYb
3rd gear in the manual S3 is a very good gear for fast back road driving and is good enough from very low speeds to above motorway speeds

Agree, don’t really need an auto box, 1st and 2nd to get you going and can spend the rest of the time in 3rd and/or 4th

Vast difference mate, to put it simply, it puts a big smile on my face lol best car l have owned, wish I could say the same about the colour lol
Please don’t say you’ve fallen out of love with the colour.....

Reactions: Jassyo06
Yes @jassy 06 , You cant not like the colour its GORGEOUS ,
When you get it polished and sealed up you will love it again .It is amazin ......

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Actually just test driven the FL S3 and you really can tell it’s more responsive, couldn’t give it a massive blast but I could definitely tell.

Steering wheel feels better, love the perforation

Reactions: Audi Bairn and KevS3-
Please don’t say you’ve fallen out of love with the colour.....
Sometimes lol but it's indeed of a pro detail, the dealer did the exact opposite as l told him, they polished the car didn't they, so that needs corrected, as there is a good few swirls on the paint, as @Pinky1959 quoted l will love it once it's been given some tlc, l can't personally because of the weather up here now and l got a garage..... Boohoo lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I’ve always said the facelift feels miles quicker than the pre. It’s the extra 20ft of torque!

Reactions: The Challinor and KevS3-
Sometimes lol but it's indeed of a pro detail, the dealer did the exact opposite as l told him, they polished the car didn't they, so that needs corrected, as there is a good few swirls on the paint, as @Pinky1959 quoted l will love it once it's been given some tlc, l can't personally because of the weather up here now and l got a garage..... Boohoo lol

Oh no, they never listen. My friend is a detailer in Cheltenham, he had a new S4 in last week and the paintwork is in a terrible state.

I’ve always said the facelift feels miles quicker than the pre. It’s the extra 20ft of torque!

It does feel quicker l admit but the Gearbox is the star of the show all the way,it drops 2 gears instantly the 6 speed box reluctantly....dropped from 6th to 5th on kick down once in a blue moon,okay torque may have something to do with it,but Audi sorted this car with the 7 speed box full stop,Magride/235 tyres are a god send,it really sorts the handling out there's a wee bit of roll,slight bounce but nothing like my previous car,super unleaded petrol may have a benefit here, my car had a full tank of it on handover day,so l have continued to use it,my pre face lift car didnt feel any faster when l used it so gave up with super unleaded very quickly.

Whilst l am on a mission lol l will say this l aint one for aesthetically modding a car at all as most on here know,but as soon as there's a High gloss black RS3 front grill for the face lift l am all over on it,l dislike the BE face lift grill sooooo much why??,its too bulbous looking because the horizontal slats are too pronounced and the outer trim aint high in gloss black its in charcoal and looks weird...rest me case Me Lud.....lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Ain't got a Garage lol

Been given a price mate £1200 bangers....which Daan Saaaath....would equate to a gazillion trillion quid....lol

Christ, is that just for the detail? I paid £650 for a new car detail with wheels, glass and interior coated too, think my bro was quoted £800 odd for a second year detail.

Christ, is that just for the detail? I paid £650 for a new car detail with wheels, glass and interior coated too, think my bro was quoted £800 odd for a second year detail.
+Xpel...lol

+Xpel...lol

Ah, that sounds pretty good then lol my brother got a scary quote for PPF when he enquiried a couple of years back! This is from the email he got

Standard kit: Bumper, part bonnet (wrapped edges), part wings (inner edges wrapped) wing mirrors: £675.00 + vat

Full Front kit: Bumper, full bonnet (wrapped edges), full wings (inner edges wrapped), wing mirrors: £1300.00 + vat

Complete kit: every external painted panel on the car protected: £3900.00 + vat

Exterior sill pack: £375.00 + vat

@jassy06 Can you not get the garage to pay for some of the detailing as they put swirls on your car when you asked them not to wash it ?

I was surprised by the difference to be honest, wonder if everyone thinks the same. On paper it’s not much but it definitely felt different in a good way.

0.2 to 60 ain’t bad either, closer to the RS albeit it with a £10,000 saving. Mines never felt slow but to get the best out of it I do tend to drive it in sport most of the time.

It does feel quicker l admit but the Gearbox is the star of the show all the way,it drops 2 gears instantly the 6 speed box reluctantly....dropped from 6th to 5th on kick down once in a blue moon,okay torque may have something to do with it,but Audi sorted this car with the 7 speed box full stop,Magride/235 tyres are a god send,it really sorts the handling out there's a wee bit of roll,slight bounce but nothing like my previous car,super unleaded petrol may have a benefit here, my car had a full tank of it on handover day,so l have continued to use it,my pre face lift car didnt feel any faster when l used it so gave up with super unleaded very quickly.

Whilst l am on a mission lol l will say this l aint one for aesthetically modding a car at all as most on here know,but as soon as there's a High gloss black RS3 front grill for the face lift l am all over on it,l dislike the BE face lift grill sooooo much why??,its too bulbous looking because the horizontal slats are too pronounced and the outer trim aint high in gloss black its in charcoal and looks weird...rest me case Me Lud.....lol

I’ve always had super unleaded in mine, fancy not fitting high gloss back. Not necessarily a bad thing as will keep the swirls away a bit more.

Only test drove it for 30 minutes or so but felt better, I wasn’t expecting much of a change to be honest - was pleasantly surprised really.

No xpel on the front bumper and bonnet, plus a ceramic coating a Gyeon one, but l think pay extra and go for the Kamikaze ceramic coating heard some good reviews of this kit

Reactions: Pinky1959 and Tom.H