Electrical issues

Tim Hands

Reaction score
Hi guys Im new to the Audi game. I own an 01 s3 it has recently decided to have some electrical gremlins. Was wondering if any one could explain why my traction control (esp) light is now always on and my ac fan speed has a mind of its own. car only has 93000ks on it so it is strange to me

Need to scan it with VCDS for fault codes...

ESP light is on because the system is unhappy about something and has disabled ESP... there are a few reasons why that could be from issues with the ABS to various sensors the ESP system relies on... a scan for fault codes is a must to be able help diagnose the issue

AC fan having a mind of its own is not enough info...

With AC on both fans will be on at slow speed... however... as its now colder AC only operates above 5.5 degrees outside temps... if the snowflake symbol is up on the DIS then AC will not be operating and fans will be off for anything other than managing coolant temps...

Fault scan first then work from there...

You should also check the fuses on top of the battery... fans are fused by a 30 amp fuse in this box and they have a habit of corroding and creating a bad connection.

Mileage makes no difference... its still a 16yr old car

<tuffty/>

Need to scan it with VCDS for fault codes...

ESP light is on because the system is unhappy about something and has disabled ESP... there are a few reasons why that could be from issues with the ABS to various sensors the ESP system relies on... a scan for fault codes is a must to be able help diagnose the issue

AC fan having a mind of its own is not enough info...

With AC on both fans will be on at slow speed... however... as its now colder AC only operates above 5.5 degrees outside temps... if the snowflake symbol is up on the DIS then AC will not be operating and fans will be off for anything other than managing coolant temps...

Fault scan first then work from there...

You should also check the fuses on top of the battery... fans are fused by a 30 amp fuse in this box and they have a habit of corroding and creating a bad connection.

Mileage makes no difference... its still a 16yr old car

<tuffty/>

Will have to get a scan. but by ac fans I mean the climate control inside the car behaving like it is set to auto regardless of what speed it is set to. I was thinking maybe a flow issue and I might change the cabin filter. ps its upto 37degrees celcius down here in australia
Thanks for the info though