18 or 19 inch winter tyres with magnetic ride

dadracer55

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post so bear with me please.

I have an S3 8V FL Saloon which came with 19 inch wheels and mag ride as standard. My question is can I go down to an 18 inch winter tyre (on 18 inch rims) or is that not advised because of the mag ride?

I see conflicting information and on the tyre pressure label in the car there are pressures for 17 and 18 winter tyres and for 18 and 19 summer tyres but nothing for 19 inch winter tyres!

If anyone has a definitive answer I would be most grateful.

Welcome... short answer is yes 18 inch wheel will be absolutely fine.

Dropping down to 18’s will br a lot cheaper to put rubber on ( providing you already have a set of 18’s handy) otherwise you can just swap the tyres on your original 19’ wheels and keep 19’s on the car.

I use both 18 and 19’s on mine at different times of the year.

Tyres:
18 - 225 / 40
19 - 235 / 35

Jungle

Last edited:
I thought that you had to have 19’s with Mag ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No ... if you have 19’ wheels you are recommended to have mag ride. ( Sportback for example ) But many do not. You can have 18 or 19 wheels with Mag ride.

The saloon comes with 19’s and Mag Ride. But nothing stopping you running 18’s for winter.

Reactions: Lehn
I have 18" winter tires and 19" summers with mag ride.The 18s give you a thicker profile with better tread for winter driving and are a bit cheaper of course. I've been told by the service guys at my Audi dealer that apparently the car auto-adjusts when you put 18s on too.

Thanks guys, I was hoping it could be this. Although I haven't priced it up yet I think I can probably get a decent set of 18 inch alloys and winter tyres for about the same price as some premium 19 inch winter tyres and a lot less worry about salt and other damage to these diamond cut wheels!

Oh and one more newbie question. For the 18 inch alloys would it be 18x8J or 18x7.5J on the saloon?

Either and remember a narrower width on the tyre gives better traction in snow.....18 215 40....look at rally cars equipped for snow have really skinny tyres. Wider tyres improve dry grip/traction.
Also check the ET on those rims to make sure they fit...clear calipers etc. Plus you will probably have to use tapered wheel bolts, unless they are VW/Audi alloys

Last edited: