S4 remap

Scottishpedro

Reaction score
hi all

My 8p s3 was stage 1 mapped and very quickly the stock manual clutch gave up. I have done a bit of reading re the B8.5 mapping which suggests the auto box can handle the power increase ok even beyond stage 1? Would you expect a good clutch life expectancy with stage 1 or is a remap always going to shorten the life if the clutch and other components?

Thanks in advance

Pedro

The dsg box and it’s ckutch packs are very strong, I’ve only heard of a couple of clutch packs going bad and it’s not necessarily been due to tuning and they’ve been early b8 versions. There’s people with well over 500bhp giving their cars a hell of a time on the drag strips and they’re holding up fine!

Further to the above, the B8/B8.5 has had 3 versions of the DL501 s-tronic gearbox. Most of the problems reported are from the first version which was fitted to cars between 2009 and 2011. There are fewer problem reports with the second version which I believe was used between 2011 and 2012 or 2013. From around 2013 on reports of gearbox problems are rare. Maintenance is a factor. Often reports are accompanied by the admission that the service (oil and filter change) was done late. However there are not enough problem reports and not enough data to draw any firm conclusions, including whether or not engine tuning is a factor. If remapping the ECU, it is sensible to also tweak the TCU to increase clutch pressure, as well as raise the redline.

Thanks for the replies. Yes if I go for an S4 the plan would be to revo stage 1 remap with s tronic map also. For £1k it's a great power increase but I'd rather avoid the £2-3k gearbox rebuild/clutch replacement if it was a likely to cause issues! I'd be going for a 2013 or later car so sounds like it is less likely to cause problems

Thanks

Pedro