Know much about Mobil 1 ESP Oil ? ?

Smudge973

Reaction score
Having checked the oil which has been used by Audi for my 1st AVS service, They used the following....

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 - No mention of longlife ?

There is a litre in the boot, which upon investigation prompted this thread.

Having looked at the Mobil 1 site, there is also no mention of longlife.

Be interested to know if anyone else has come across this ?

ta.

I know nothing about it.

However, VW has approved oils the standard of which is coded. The codes are listed in the owners manual for the car and should be written on the bottle of oil...

If you crossmatch you should be able to determine whether it is a long life compatible oil.

Thanks, also noticed that there have been a number of comments about this oil.. I should have searched first.

DavidR said:
It is longlife compatible. Checked with the Exxon / Mobil webpage.

I have checked, as mentioned.

Since posting, my research concluded that this oil is approved and correct..

Thanks.

Erm . . . be careful, very careful with Mobil oils.

Mobil are know to lie about the VW (and other manufacturer) approvals on their oils.

The Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is a VW approved LongLife oil, but the standard Mobil 1 definately is NOT VW approved, even though Mobil state it on the bottle.

I would personally avoid any Mobil oils, and merely recommend any of the European OEM specced oils, such as Castrol, Shell, Fuchs, Elf or Motul.

phil1978 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Mobil Exxon suply lubes to Castrol

Nope, you are very wrong. Mobil have never supplied Castrol. Mobil is part of the Exxon Mobil Corp, which includes the Mobil and Esso brands. Until a few years back, Castrol was a wholly independent brand, but is now part of the BP "empire" which includes BP, Amoco, Burmah, Castrol, Duckhams & Aral.

phil1978 said:
. . . . I used to work for Mobil Oil and without a doubt Mobil 1 is one of the best oils available.

That is an extremely generic and "wooly" statement.

Mobil 1 is shyte for compliance with later OEM requirements.

Yes, in its' day, Mobil 1 was a very good lube, about 15 to 20 years ago, before the days of OEM specs, when the likes of the original API, and the later ACEA generic specs were the norm. Unfortunately, todays OEM specs are considerably more rigorous than the pathetic API specs, and the improved ACEA standards, and Mobil oils just havn't kept pace with modern lubrication demands.

phil1978 said:
Just dont use normal Mobil 1 for AVS as its (best) life is approx 13-14 months.

Didn't I say that up there ^^^ ??

phil1978 said:
So it is perfect for a 10,000 miler or annual service.

No it is not, as it doesn't comply with any of the modern VW standards (even though it lies on the bottle!).

phil1978 said:
Which is why they made the Mobil 1 ESP, same as the Castrol SLX Longlife II ( now called edge).

Again, you are wrong. The Mobil 1 ESP is a 5w30, and has been tested to meet the 504.00/507.00 approvals. These are LongLife 3 approvals, not LongLife 2. The two differing standards, in certain engines, are NOT interchangeable.

phil1978 said:
Thanks for clearing that up Sean, got my sleepy head still on, worked nights last night. Sorry for any confusion.

OK, no worries. :zen:

Just don't try posting when you are p!$$ed !!! :wacko: ;) :)