Map&exhaust Vs 2 seater..

jd26

Reaction score
A very peculiar thread I know.. but I am very much stuck in two minds at the moment.

I am running a BEX B6 quattro Avant 190.. and trying to make a call on ..

A) mapping and fitting a decent exhaust system on the current car in the hope that the map *actually* transforms the car into a bit more of an animal ...(never personally mapped a turbo car so my mind says realistically I'm still going to be disappointed)

Or

B) get something more focussed (on a budget) and go with an MR2 roadster for some back to basics go kart like fun..

Have any of you come from an MR2? Or gone to one?

Typical petrolhead dillema

I'm at a loss on whether I can ever make my b6 "fun"

Has to be A, you have one of the most tuneable engines there is under your bonnet and the Quattro will help you exploit every hp you choose to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9Hmm.

I'm not convinced adding power equates to fun. I see many folk going down the route of endless power upgrades, which suggests its not really fun.

Unless you go ludicrous, adding power is "fun" for a short time, but fairly soon you get used to it. The fun then goes away, its just normal. My car has a hybrid turbo and 280hp, but it doesnt feel fast. Its quick enough, but the performance just becomes normal. I notice it if i've been driving the landrover for a few days, then jump back in it, but it very quickly returns to normal. I guess when you try to equate power to fun, you can see why people go down the route of endless upgrades. Every time they'll upgrade a bunch of stuff and add 50hp, then 6 months later its boring again because thye're now used to it and they add another 50hp at ever increasing cost...

The flipside however, is getting something "fun" after having something quick, can end up a bit disappointing, as while it drives nicely and handles sweet it ends up lacking the performance.

I guess the real issue is figuring out how you actually use the car. A sweet handling roadster is great if you live in the south (ie actually get a few days of sunshine a year), in a rural area surrounded by lovely flowing roads etc etc. But its going to be a bit **** if you spend most of your driving hours sat on a congested northern dual carriageway in the rain and the most fun you have on a typical day is a full throttle blast down a slip road onto the motorway.

That said, go get the car remapped. 90% of the gains will come from the map alone, so get a decent tune from someone reputable and see how you find it. Wont cost a huge amount, and it WILL improve the car.