So Claimed MPG

joinerman

Reaction score
Constantly seeing/hearing people with A4 1.9 tdi quattro's getting 45-50 mpg, well i have never bettered 35 mpg & i don't thrash it about, it's always serviced well & it does go well, are people exaggerating ?

There’s a lot of different parameters to consider. Where in the country, hilly region or not, time of driving, type of driving, stop/start or cruising.
35 does sound low though, any caliper binding, is the coolant temp sensor working properly, lots of things can pull mpg down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live in the Chiltern hills, mostly around the houses but a good run now & again, don't know about the coolant temp sensor working properly, it does sit at 90 degrees all day long & soon warms up in the mornings.

Does sound a little on the low side. I used to get 44mpg on my old B5 2.5 TDI avant quattro. The key to efficiency is no heavy right foot, sit at 60mph, ditch roof boxes and such like and ensure tyre pressures are checked regularly.

You could try a can of Forte diesel conditioner straight into fuel filter. Run it hard in second and third gears. It will smoke, but clears after 5-10 minutes. Good for cleaning injectors, etc. Replace fuel filter and top up with fresh diesel before starting.

What about air intake manifolds? Mine were gunked up at 160k miles, and cleaning was straight forward. I also replaced standard air filter with K&N panel filter, the key being lightly oiled.

Coolant temp sensor is dual circuit, one for gauge one for ECU, could be ECU circuit that’s failed causing overfuelling even though gauge is showing correct temp.

Just done my first brim to brim in my new (to me!) 1.9 tdi Quattro sport, and got 48.5 mpg. Very pleased!

My right foot is a good gauge of how much mpg I'll get haha generally isn't below 25 or above 45 though although I do have a bigger turbo amongst other things, when the car was bone stock it was always between 40 and 60 so something is definately amiss with yours. Is the car going on long (30 minutes plus) journey's or mostly short trips around town? Worth giving it an "Italian style tune up" (going foot to the floor in low gears and high revs) every now and then just to clear it out. The stock intercooler is notorious for leaks in the plastic part at the top and that could be an easy cause of low mpg, I've seen a few budget fixes with cable ties and stuff to hold it together, also Darkside sells a hard pipe to replace it (if they'll sell it separately to an intercooler kit). Does the car ever go into limp mode? Tyre type, alloy weight, pressure and tracking will probably give you 10mpg up or down too.

I'm running 235 40 18's on S line alloys, normally my journey to & from work is all of two miles each way, gets longer runs at the weekend, for the last week & the next two I'm having to travel back & forth to Milton Keynes daily a round trip of 100 miles a day, consumption still remains around 35 mpg.

Mine is non Quattro and my usual commute of 13 miles normally gets around 45+ mpg
However today I struggled to get much over 30.
Car felt a bit lacking on occasion, felt like I'd slightly applied the handbrake. Odd.

I'm hoping my mpg drop was due to the cold/ damp ... I'll forget the fact it was sunny on the way home!

Interesting to read about the dual circuit temp sensor, mine is showing a solid 90 but that maybe only half the story?

35 , wow that's low , saw 61 mpg after a 10 minute journey this week .

Worst I'll see in winter is low 30's short journey to shops from cold .

61 mpg after a 10 minute journey!.. I can get that sort of figure from my mk4 golf gt tdi (130) the a4 i'd only get near that figure on a long motorway trip.

This mornings commute,
temp gauge got to 90 after 7 mins outside temp was 8.5
After my 15(ish) mile trip which was dual carriage way (60-70mph) & some lanes without too much traffic, I was trying to get mpg... I managed the grand total of 44.7mpg.

The temperature outside did go down to 5 degrees on the journey, so I guess that's ok. (until I saw the above posted 61mpg lol!!)

The journey in question is town to town edge straight out onto an A road , of 40 mph , then 60 mph , 40 , 60 , 30 downhill into a village , engine would of been cooled for just over 2hrs prior .

If I factor in the rest of the town return journey to home it will have dropped to 58 /59 .

From cold to another town with more 60 and dual carriageway it could be down to 50 .

That's pretty good going.
When you look at those figures.. I do love a diesel b6 A4 avant lol.
(sorry OP, we're not helping are we!)

Keep thinking of changing.. but...
Saw a lovely looking low mileage black sport avant on autotrader last night.. lol the mrs would go mad. (was around £4500!)

I assume your all getting your figures from the information display, if you are then those figures are false, only way to calculate mpg is brim it drive it & brim it again, that's where i get my mpg figure from.

Oh and i will get a new coolant sensor but where does it live ?

Coolant flange on back of cylinder head.

Since buying my 04 1.9 quattro 18 MTHS ago (176,000) I have done alot of general work on the car to bring it up to a good standard, engine wise, the turbo and manifold were meticulously cleaned and refurbed, intercooler replaced, all vac pipes replaced, new N75, EGR blanked, CTS sensor replaced (genuine), new thermostat and coolant, fully serviced with all filters, since doing all this not including replacing all shocks and brakes I can still only manage 40mpg with normal driving habits and have not achieved anything higher, the car runs very well but I am little dissapointed although compared to my 1.8 20v b5 petrol the b6 quattro feels a much heavier car and I think this has a lot to do with it

Quattro is only 80 kilos heavier, torsen system is very simple. Haldex system found on transverse engined cars is complex and very heavy, 230 kilos between A3 and S3.

My best on my 2.5 TDI Quattro Advant is 40 using very careful driving...

Doing a very awful work commute 8 miles takes up to 45-50 minutes I get 28-32 mpg - I'm interested to see what changes with new injectors and a remap next to take it into the 250's

Changed the coolant temperature sensor today ( £45 ) from TPS , Will see how consumption goes.

Reactions: Gazwould
Nice one - noted for new parts I'll be getting. I've typically found ECP to be good with webcodes but just recently finding my 2.5/B6 (Different independent things) they don't have.

How are you getting on with the changed TPS?

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but have you cleaned the mass airflow sensor? Easy DIY job and can make a big difference

Where's the mass airflow sensor live then David ?

Done a couple of hundred miles in the last two days, will be re fueling in the morning so see if there's any improvement,

It's just after the air filter, couple of big clips to remove. There's various YouTube clips on how to remove and clean it. Do use proper mass airflow sensor cleaner not just any old contact cleaner. Still only about 8 quid on amazon.

Not had time to clean MAF yet but done nearly a thousand miles, been brimming the tank each fill up & with four adults in the car and journeys of half country lanes & half duel carriage ways at 90 it's returning just over 38 mpg