Effect of long press of s-tronic lever interlock release button

turbofan

Reaction score
I had just started the engine in my A3 s-tronic and was about to select Drive. For some reason I held the selector release button in for longer than usual before moving it from Park. This started a continuous high pitched bleep. It didn't stop when I selected D and I couldn't cancel it. Fortunately switching the ignition off and back on again reset the system.

Does anyone know what this long button press had triggered or what caused this warning? I can't find any reference to it in the user manual so I wondered if it might be a maintenance feature of some kind.

Reactions: AllStar
I had just started the engine in my A3 s-tronic and was about to select Drive. For some reason I held the selector release button in for longer than usual before moving it from Park. This started a continuous high pitched bleep. It didn't stop when I selected D and I couldn't cancel it. Fortunately switching the ignition off and back on again reset the system.

Does anyone know what this long button press had triggered or what caused this warning? I can't find any reference to it in the user manual so I wondered if it might be a maintenance feature of some kind.
Yes, it's the warning signal (std equipment) of a malfunctioning user's finger. You can also ask audi when you place your order to put the human gas detector in the seats among other options.
LoL!
:yahoo:

Reactions: glospete, Russkiya and NHN
Lmao, funny.

But long press shouldn't be the issue as the button is AFAIK purely mechanical on the gear knob itself, there are micro switches in play, so it may have stuck momentarily.

I've come to the conclusion it was the parking sensors throwing a wobbly. I was in a multi-storey car park so plenty of things to trigger it.

Lmao, funny.

But long press shouldn't be the issue as the button is AFAIK purely mechanical on the gear knob itself, there are micro switches in play, so it may have stuck momentarily.

It's not purely mechanical though as the button isn't always required to move the car out of neutral.