Replacing A4 Suspension Arm

Pocko100

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2005 A4 convertible and need the suspension bushes changing soon, I was wondering if this is something a tinkerer could do, I have had a quote from the garage for £750, I'll pay if it quite difficult but just wanted some idea whether I could possibly do it myself.
Thanks

Are you thinking all the bushes, all the arms? I am asuming it is the front you are intendng to do?
if so, to buy decent ones alone is a lot of money and fitting can be a bit of a pig. They are alloy arms and the top has a pinch bolt (google for confirmation) which tends to sieze and can be awkward to get out. There is also a lot of alloy at the bottom, hub, arms etc and things can sieze in that area to in my experience. Would I pay £750 to get it done, absolutely not, sounds like daylight robbery to me!
If you have the time and patience and a half decent set of tools, maybe something to carefully heat joints then, yes you could do it yourself and spend money buying decent arms that will last, please not the E.Bay Chinese ones £100 for a full set :)

Last edited:
They have said both front upper front and upper rear suspension arm bushes, I thought that the replacing the arms would be easier :blink: I'll take a look on google, might make me change my mind...

They have said both front upper front and upper rear suspension arm bushes, I thought that the replacing the arms would be easier :blink: I'll take a look on google, might make me change my mind...

You can get a set of them for £35, it's fitting them wrong that can result in them failing early, they must be fitted loosely at the strut top, then lower the car, ONLY THEN can they be tightened. Lots of people fit them, tighten them, then lower the car, this means the bush is stressed BEFORE any suspension travel has taken place.
If you have a good budget then by all means buy the Meyle heavy duty set,but this is what my budget would dictate. I would visit a garage and ask them to heat the pinch bolts and explain that you'r echanging the top arms, shouldn't cost much. Here's a link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UPPER-TOP...del:A4&hash=item2ed82e1fe3:g:MnMAAOSwEppUPof7

OK, thanks for the advice, I will make a decision in the week.

i have both front top arms and track rod ends, genuine mahle hd from a full set i bought, fitted the lower arms but not the other bits then sold my b6!!
£40 plus postage

If it's the same as a B5 then it's not too bad, just not a 5 minute job, as long as the bolts aren't siezed as said above. I copperslipped the shank of mine when I put them back in, so hopefully next time they need doing they will come apart no issue.

If I could get paid £750 to do them I'm changing my day job!!!