Component protection

davidg123

Reaction score
As the title suggests I'm querying component protection. I've brought and received most parts to retrofit nav to my none nav a4. I understand that most of the parts will have component protection on them. Are audi dealerships the only people that can remove protection or are there other people, either on here or in the Midlands area that can help. I have tried to make sure all parts came from breakers yards on Ebay so shouldn't have the issue of parts being stolen. Any help appreciated
Dave

I believe it is an Audi only job as it needs to be connected to their online system in order to remove / disable component protection. I doubt this is something Audi will give access to 3rd parties.

Best bet would be to call the local dealer and ask them if they can sort it out for and how much they charge for it.

Yeah I went into them yesterday and told me a few things.

1. They will try and remove component protection, but it's not a guarantee it will work.

2. They do hourly rate, so could be an hour, could be 3 (@£150/hr +vat)

3. Fitting OEM nav to a car which doesn't have it is impossible...... Really?!?! Lol (some how I think the dealers don't want you doing it)

4. In his eight years of working there nobody has asked to remove component protection or tried a nav retrofit. (this is Tamworth dealer)

5. If, when they come to remove component protection, it's marked as from a stolen vehicle they hold the keys and get the police involved. Which I'm not too worried about as I have a trail to who sold the parts on eBay.

Still not put me off though, just waiting for a decent period of time off to get things sorted.

As the title suggests I'm querying component protection. I've brought and received most parts to retrofit nav to my none nav a4. I understand that most of the parts will have component protection on them. Are audi dealerships the only people that can remove protection or are there other people, either on here or in the Midlands area that can help. I have tried to make sure all parts came from breakers yards on Ebay so shouldn't have the issue of parts being stolen. Any help appreciated
Dave

Forum member and sponsor @DJAlix can assist.

Reactions: DJAlix
Yeah I went into them yesterday and told me a few things.

1. They will try and remove component protection, but it's not a guarantee it will work.

2. They do hourly rate, so could be an hour, could be 3 (@£150/hr +vat)

3. Fitting OEM nav to a car which doesn't have it is impossible...... Really?!?! Lol (some how I think the dealers don't want you doing it)

4. In his eight years of working there nobody has asked to remove component protection or tried a nav retrofit. (this is Tamworth dealer)

5. If, when they come to remove component protection, it's marked as from a stolen vehicle they hold the keys and get the police involved. Which I'm not too worried about as I have a trail to who sold the parts on eBay.

Still not put me off though, just waiting for a decent period of time off to get things sorted.

In answer to the above:

1) This is true but what they mean is that component protection removal is not an issue, but that the unit / item might not work in your vehicle... example connecting up an MMI4G unit to a car that is meant to have MMI3G. CP removal is not an issue but the unit will never work correctly in that vehicle no matter how much you throw at it.

2) Not sure about other companies pricing but mine is much cheaper than what you have been quoted :)

3) Lies which Audi tell in order to not get involved in works. People have been told that virtual cockpits cannot be retrofit and that TTrs keys cannot be coded to Audi A3's yet I do both with no issues using the same tools the dealerships do lol

4) Might be true given that dealerships do not normally get involved in works like this and the high costs are widely known.

5) Lies. If an item / unit is black listed then the job is cancelled and the item given back to you.

If you need any help I am based in North London and am a fully authorised VW Group UK services provider with GeKo access for all VAG brands.

Reactions: rabhrab, davidg123, RS5 JON and 1 other person
Thanks for the info people. It's massively appreciated.

We'll I have all the stuff to do the retrofit, apart from the head unit securing bracket....... Not annoying at all. Once that's arrived I'll fit what I have then see what happens.