difference between 265bhp s3 to a 350 bhp s3?

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
my s3 is currently running 265bhp, its having a turbo upgrade in 2weeks, to take it to 350bhp how much different is it between the 2?

ChrisS3 and EssThree are probably most qualified to answer your question mate, my experience is limited to remapped S3 ad IHI A3. the power delivery of both is really quite different, the S3 has a peaky torque curve that gives you a proper shove in the back feeling, when the turbo comes on song, the IHI is slightly laggier and doesn't push in the back quiet as much, but it does keep the power/torque all the way through the rev range, making it a really rapid car.
Re-mapped S3 vs IHI Golf, on my way to a RR meet at AmD a few years ago, I saw a golf gaining ground on me rather quickly whilst I was doing around 45ish, so I thought.. take this, drop to third and maximum throttle, then into fourth and now doing over 100(km's ok :p ) , thinking I was making good progress, the Mk4 Golf overtook me like I was a 1.6. He was heading towards AmD also, which is where I found out it was IHI equipped, and that how fast they can be.

IHI equipeed stuff are serious turbo cars. The K04 with respect is not in the same league!

edward_harris said:
is it really that much quicker tho?!!

It's not supercar fast. It's very nippy, but I'll always want more.

As an A to B car there's not too much it can't keep up with. Personally I think the gearbox ratios are a huge limitation and it stops it from ever truely competing against an evo or scoob in terms of out right performance. But it will go deep into silly speeds very easily.

It terms of delivery, the lag is similar to the K04 but the spool time to max torque is a lot quicker on a K04 making it feel punchier. The GT28RS takes a few hundred more rpm to get there but just keeps going once its up and running.

oh rite, my mate has a mazda rx7 it feels very quick compared to my s3! just wondered if it would feel a bit more like that?!

My friend has MTM 345 S3 and I have MTM 265 S3. We have tested performance differences many times and if we start accelerating from 80kmh he has gained about 30m gap when we hit 250kmh. He has more turbo lag than my car so when accelerating in slow speeds there is not much difference. When sitting in his car and he is accelerating in 3rd gear acceleration feels about same than in my car at 2nd gear.

edward_harris said:
oh rite, my mate has a mazda rx7 it feels very quick compared to my s3! just wondered if it would feel a bit more like that?!
You'll struggle to make an S3 feel like an RX7 because the 7's got sequential twin turbo's to minimise, if not eliminate, lag. I'm sure a BT S3 would be keeping up with a 7 though.

Just my 2p...

Rich