Clutch/Gearbox advice needed.

barryA4

Reaction score
Hi folks, im looking for some advice on diagnosing my latest issue with my A4 2.0tdi BLB.

Recently my clutch has been sounding awfully noisy, suspected release bearing type noise !
As usual, life has got in the way of even looking at this ......until now, as i have problems engaging 1st gear.
Going through all the gears with engine running at idle, all 6 gears are not smooth to engage.

When 1st gear wont engage, its not a grinding noise but just a solid resistance on the gear stick.
The car has done over 140K and just want to know how to determine if the clutch is gone or if something else may cause these symptoms....ie, rivet pin on gear selector rod in gearbox (i read somewhere that these can and do shear causing 1st and 2nd gear issues ) however i may be wrong.

IF the clutch is the culprit, is it worth replacing the flywheel at the same time. ?

Any advice on what to check before I buy the clutch kit would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Barry

Sounds like the clutch is dragging, quick test
1st make sure the area is clear in front of you!!!
2nd engine off and select 1st gear and engage clutch pedal and start engine and she is she want to jerk forward.
And i always recommend to replace all parts, clutch kit flywheel release bearing and spigot bearing and all bolts.
Nothing worse then just changing the clutch and a week later the flywheel gives up due to the increased of the new clutch
GARETH

As above really, put it into gear with the engine OFF and try to start the car, if it wants to jerk forward then you know the box is good. Another thing is can you engage 3rd or 4th gear at a standstill? Obviously the car will try and stall if you set off, but if they are stiff to engage when stationary as well it shows the issue is not just 1st gear and must be some other common component....most likely the clutch.

As above, replace everything, full clutch kit, Dual Mass Flywheel, bolts, bearing, etc, etc. Sure it's not cheap, but its a job that is not done often. If yours is still on the original clutch from the factory then the next one will be due at 280k!!

Nothing worse than doing a big job like this only for something to fail in 2 months because you skimped out on parts he first time. False economy and all that.

Reactions: GDCAUDIA4B7
Thank you very much for the quick replies.
My issue is that it doesnt happen all the time. I first noticed it on Monday when trying to pull out of the driveway and it wouldnt go into gear, but i depressed the clutch several times and it then engaged....seemed fine for the rest of the short journey i made.
Then yesterday, i drove off from my driveway onto the main road, ,stopped at a round about but wouldnt go into 1st again...finally engaged after several (what seemed like a million) presses of the clutch , i turned around and parked it back up. and its sat there since.
I have just had a quote for complete clutch / flywheel / bearings / bolts fitted for £790 + VAT or if i can source the parts, £260 for labour only.
Does anyone have a reputable source for this kit....i think it is LUK as the OEM but i may be wrong.

thanks again guys

EuroCarParts or CarParts4Less (same company, different prices, so check both). LUK or SACHS are what you want, they are both OEM

Thanks for the headsup on carparts4less.
ECP cost is £620
CP4L cost is £422

exactly the same parts !!

I will get the parts ordered now. Thanks again for the replies