key fob/starter problem

Squirrelly

Reaction score
I've got a 2013 A4 Avant TFSI B8.5.
40,000mls.

I'm not sure of the correct terminology but it has a key fob that you push into a receptacle on the dash to start the ignition - only sometimes it doesn't.

It may take 3 or 4 pushes of the key before anything happens - it's dead.
This occurs perhaps once every couple of weeks.
Today I stalled the engine at a roundabout and no matter what I did (in neutral, clutch fully depressed, handbrake on, seat belt on) the starter didn't turn. I even took the key out and replaced it again. It took about a minute of frantic trying before it started.

My warranty runs out in a couple of weeks time, is this an issue that anyone else has had?

Paul.

Try the spare key if you have one to notice any change. If the starter wasnt even turning then it sounds like an electrical fault. It is worth checking the battery terminals for a loose connection or corrosion. I had similar problems on a different car in the past due to a loose negative connection on the battery.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

If your car is still under warranty, take it back and get the dealer to scam/check/ repair any faults.
Don't wait till you need to pay to get it sorted when warranty has run out.

JG

Ah... I didn't think of trying my spare key, I'll give it a try.

Could it be that the battery in the key that I've been using is on its way out and that is causing the problem? It's an intermittent problem though. But yes, the dashboard and info is all lit up OK as normal but pushing the key won't spin the starter.

I dont think that keyfob battery can cause such trouble because this Audi smart key has some sort of a back up system if the battery charge gets low. I would stress you check the vehicle battery for a loose connection or the ground connection to the vehicle chassis. Or otherwise take it to the dealer before you are out of warranty.

Does the car fail to start only from cold or any time of the day?

I don't think it can be a loose battery connection because as I said, the dash is fully lit and the radio is playing but the push/start intermittently doesn't work.

Its best to take it to the dealer mate while its under warranty. I had exactly the same problem on my honda when everything else works but car wont start apparently because of loose/bad/corrosive connection the ecu is not getting the strong/correct signal.

Reactions: RS5 JON
Possibly the position sensor(s) on the clutch master cylinder, as eveyone else says, you've still got your warrenty, just get it back into the dealers and let them sort it for you

my a4 12 plate as the same problem done it for last 16 months thats how's long i have had it keep thinking its me not pushing the clutch in far enough ?