Connector question

MrSmithr

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having difficulty finding a connector for a crash sensor on an 04 audi a3 2.0 tdi with the part number 3B0 973 702. However I've found an equivalent that looks exactly the same but it's black instead of yellow and has the part number 1J0 973 702. Are these interchangeable?

Thanks in advance

Did you try your local dealer if you're finding it hard finding one??

@fangio
Thanks, that info is gold. Good to know.

@Darren92
I haven't in fear of being charged more for something that would suffice. I have messaged a seller on eBay selling a connector with the part number 1J0 973 702, which is almost exactly the same as the part number on my connector except mine has 3B instead of 1J, the rest is the same.

The eBay seller has given me the opportunity to test it for free, if it works they will give me a full refund. So more than happy to try it.

Anyways I will post an update if it works so that others will know and can potentially save themselves a pretty penny because currently the connector with a tail of wire is £15 on eBay.

3B0 973 702 is roughly £3.60 from your local dealer.

Reactions: MrSmithr
Is that just the yellow housing or the complete connector with tails/seals etc..?

Just the plug, do you need the pins too or are you transferring the originals into it?

Ideally the pins/seals/wires and housing. The previous owner cut the connector and what looks like a direct solder to pins. I have planned to cut away the extra wires and use butt connectors joining the new connector wires to the harness and new sensor into the new connector. I have ordered a full connector with wires/pins/seals etc.. But it's the 1J0 973 702. Only difference is the colour. That's black and mine is yellow.

Just an update.

The connector arrived today and it worked without a treat. The wires are slightly heavier duty but that didn't affect it in any way, I was concerned about voltage drop/resistance but it didn't affect the functionality.

Airbag light is off. For anyone wondering where to get the connectors, there's a seller on eBay - http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=172081771691&alt=web

Seller: angliapostalparts2012

Part number 3B0 973 702 (actual connector part) listed item which works just fine 1J0 973 702.