1.4 S-Tronic Views/ Opinions

Brandon Williams

Reaction score
I didnt get the chance to test drive one before i ordered; i did arrange one but they only had the 2.0 in for me to test.
Average MPG
How does it sound?
Im coming from 115bhp so im sure 150bhp will be a noticeable difference im just a worrier haha.

Cheers guys.

It's absolutely fine

Ours is just over a week old now, and got a few hundred miles under the belt. Like you, I was a little worried about a "small" petrol engine for the A4, having come from a 190hp diesel A6 - I was worried I was going to miss the torque more than anything

Of course it is no rocketship, but is more than adequate with 150hp in the smaller, lighter A4. The engine is quiet, smooth and refined, and works well with the S-Tronic (in Drive Select, we've been driving it in engine/gearbox auto mode, and steering in dynamic)

In the initial few hundred miles, I've seen low 40s average MPG for the normal commute and I'm sure that will improve as the engine loosens up

Reactions: AlnSaz and Muzzito
Interior sound when driving & under acceleration as captured by newly installed dashcam today

Reactions: Muzzito
I test drove the 1.4 saloon in manual. I drove it steady as I'm not the type of guy to thrash it on a test drive but it was smooth and felt powerful enough. I don't think you will be disappointed. But maybe I'm just saying that cos I hope I won't be when I get mine.

Reactions: Rocksteve69
Any more views/opinions on the 1.4 S-Tronic? I currently drive the 1.4 manual on lease, handing it back next year, and looking at deals on the S-tronic version. Do quite a lot of town stop/start driving, so interested to see how the auto deals with this, I did read somewhere about it being quite 'jerky' and 'laggy'.

Ahm, I don't have an opinion on the 1.4S-Tronic but I do have a leased 1.4 manual on order. Too cheap to spring for the S-Tronic. Are you going for the S-Tronic as you don't like the manual or is it just an upgrade you're seeking?

This long term test from India suggests 'jerkiness' on stop/start that was helped by a software update.

Ahm, I don't have an opinion on the 1.4S-Tronic but I do have a leased 1.4 manual on order. Too cheap to spring for the S-Tronic. Are you going for the S-Tronic as you don't like the manual or is it just an upgrade you're seeking?

This long term test from India suggests 'jerkiness' on stop/start that was helped by a software update.

Getting older and lazier and thinking the auto might be better for commuting!!

The manual's good tbh. You do have to adapt to it's style and get used to giving it good revs or dropping a gear when coming out of slow corners or roundabouts etc, you don't want to get caught below ~1500 revs or there's nothing there. I got used to it very quickly though and have had no issues.

I find the auto very good and smooth on changes. When wanting to make a quick-ish getaway (say, waiting to turn right and someone flashes to let you go) then it's quite easy to spin the front tyres as the turbo dumps all the torque in at once. I've kind of got the hang of anticipating that now though, so I give it a push, then back off a little as I start to move.

That's good to hear, Ahm, as I was a bit worried about the negative talk I'd heard about the manual at low revs. I had assumed it was something you learnt to drive around so good to hear that confirmed. Was tempted to go for the automatic myself but need to keep to a budget this time around. Maybe next time.

I find the auto very good and smooth on changes. When wanting to make a quick-ish getaway (say, waiting to turn right and someone flashes to let you go) then it's quite easy to spin the front tyres as the turbo dumps all the torque in at once. I've kind of got the hang of anticipating that now though, so I give it a push, then back off a little as I start to move.

Thanks for this. As i said earlier I had to adapt to the manual, so I'm sure I can do the same for auto. Was more concerned incase it was really jerky or something, but seems that's not the case. Just have to see if I can get a deal thrashed out now!

Pleased to read these reports about people happy with the 1.4TFSi. I ordered my A4 Allroad with the 2.0TFSi that has 252BHP and I wasn't sure it would be enough of an engine - I don't want diesel cars anymore.
So if people are already happy with the 150BHP in the 1.4 then I bides well for my choice and that 1.4TFSi sounds very good.

Happy with the performance and the smoothness. Not so happy with the MPG. My last tank averaged 24MPG and got me less than 250 miles. All stop-start town driving. That is much under the 40mpg urban it's classed as. I'm not particularly heavy-footed (don't get the chance to be!). I'd be much happier if I could get it into the 30s, but I guess my commute is just more "Urban" than what Audi class as Urban...

By all accounts on longer journeys it's pretty economical.

Don't have the S-tronic but very impressed with 1.4 engine both in terms of performance and refinement. Overall mpg of 41 so pleased with that.

Happy with the performance and the smoothness. Not so happy with the MPG. My last tank averaged 24MPG and got me less than 250 miles. All stop-start town driving. That is much under the 40mpg urban it's classed as. I'm not particularly heavy-footed (don't get the chance to be!). I'd be much happier if I could get it into the 30s, but I guess my commute is just more "Urban" than what Audi class as Urban...

Hey, it's still better than my S4 in traffic... I averaged 9mpg the last time I was stuck in 15mins worth of heavy traffic! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I am sure you jest however Audi do not set the urban tests, it is a EU testing directive that all manufacturers are forced to use and publish. It was last updated in 1997 and a new directive that is supposed to reflect more of a 'real world motoring' example is coming soon, hopefully...

Last edited:
Reactions: NeilHD
I am sure you jest however Audi do not set the urban tests, it is a EU testing directive that all manufacturers are forced to use and publish. It was last updated in 1997 and a new directive that is supposed to reflect more of a 'real world motoring' example is coming soon, hopefully...

Good point!

Reactions: cuke2u