fwd to awd swap questions

USA3

Reaction score
IMG 4492
IMG 4491
Hello everyone! Checking in from Hawaii, in the USA. Just picked up one of the few 8L chassis cars that has been imported here (this one by H&R in the 90's) and being unfamiliar with these cars I have some questions that hopefully you all can help me with! Now, since they never made these cars in America the usual "sell it and buy an awd model" solution is not an option for me without importing another car, which is at this point not possible since these are not older than 25 years. This car is a special exception because it was done back in the 90's when things were less difficult and the car has been legal in the us for 20 years or so. Additionally I somehow managed to purchase it for a measly $500 so even if it was an option it would never be so cheap. To make a long story short, I'd like to try to swap the haldex awd system into this car, but I'm still trying to find out if it's possible. It doesn't seem like it's commonly done since overseas you can just go out and buy an awd model. To start, do the fwd a3's and the awd ones share everything as far as chassis goes? If I acquired a haldex awd rear subframe would it bolt up? Additionally, I've heard people say that the mk1 tt and the awd a3's/s3's are pretty much the same car, and that the awd setup is the same. This would make sense because it wouldn't have made any sense to build two whole separate systems for two cars that are both 1.8t powered and are both haldex awd. My theory is that if I find a wrecked mk1 tt and pull all of the awd components off, I should be able to swap over everything with little fabrication (I understand there will likely be some modifications made and some wiring as well but let's pretend that isn't an issue for now). If anyone can help me confirm this, I'd be greatly appreciative! I'll post a few photos I took the day after picking the car up.

Last edited:
tuffty will have an answer for you

i know the spare wheel well gets deleted and welded up and the tt's might have a shorter propshaft to the rear differential.

The tt will have a shorter prop shaft (I think) and the fwd a3 might have a different floor pan not sure as above tuffty will know

Last edited:
Thank you for your input! I'll drop him a line and see what he says.