Opinions please - New EGR or EGR Delete pipe?

DJ_26

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 2005 A3 with the BKD engine. My EGR still works (got no error light), however the EGR appears to be leaking oil from the vacuum side of the EGR assembly and oil is coating the areas behind the EGR/on the engine block and inlet manifold. This looks to me as a possible hole in the diaphragm and the turbocharged air/EGR gases are being forced out through the round metal shell protecting the diaphragm. I've heard that the diaphragm can develop holes and this is why the leak develops. It mustn't be too bad a hole, as the EGR is still working? Can anyone confirm if this theory stands?

I did a little tissue test by revving the engine, placing a tissue behind that metal shell and seeing if the tissue moves (because of an air leak). The tissue certainly did appear to shake and my mate also confirmed it.

So far these are the options I have:

1) Fit new EGR valve (£65-70)
2) Solely blank the EGR valve although I don't think this will solve the problem. There will still be turbocharged air and possibly oil leaking through that diaphragm, just hopefully not as much soot. (£4-£5 for blanking plate.)

I could do a combination of option 1 and 2 and this would therefore cost £70-£75.

3) Fit an Allard delete pipe (no chance of leakage and no exhaust gases coking my manifold up). I understand that the EML light will come on but I'm aware that it can be mapped out. (£53 for Allard kit + small mapping fee, below £50)

What shall I do people? I'm leaning towards option 3.

Last edited:
2 plates (get ones from darside dev) you will need to take off the pipe connecting egr and egr cooler and go to erase it from soft

remove and clean EGR and refit gaskets (or new gaskets) and see if and where it might still leak from?

it's a cheaper starting point

remove and clean EGR and refit gaskets (or new gaskets) and see if and where it might still leak from?

it's a cheaper starting point
probably will need to replace it anyway as mine or (i think) yours, so faster to throw 150 for remap and 10 for and think of benefit as no gunk going into your inlet and you got 1 thing to remember about.

2 plates (get ones from darside dev) you will need to take off the pipe connecting egr and egr cooler and go to erase it from soft

I think I know what you are talking about, it's the metal pipe from the egr cooler to the actual egr valve. Surely if I remove this pipe, then I will only need one blanking plate which will fit for the egr cooler outlet under the air intake pipe?

you need two plates, 1 for egr valve and 1 for egr cooler (the pipe connects in 2 spots right?)

you need two plates, 1 for egr valve and 1 for egr cooler (the pipe connects in 2 spots right?)

If I replace EGR with just a delete pipe (a plain pipe from ASV to inlet manifold), I reckon I can then remove that connecting pipe and therefore only use 1 blanking plate on the egr cooler.

If I replace with a new EGR, then I will need just a blanking plate at the EGR. No harm fitting two, but I think one will probably do the job in this scenario.

Get a second hand EGR off eBay £15 or from breakers yard and get a software egr delete