Looking to replace my non Xenon bulbs...

kevlar

Reaction score
Hi guys im thinking about replacing my non xenon headlight bulbs - as the originals are very very poor i have to admit!! im not that loaded as im moving house soon so looking for a cheaper option.

Just wanted to get a feel for what you guys are using or have used.

Thanks.

if they are H7 bulbs like mine i can recomend halfords 80w superblue. had them in mine for ages and they look like HID's with the facelift type lights.

SteveS said:
if they are H7 bulbs like mine i can recomend halfords 80w superblue. had them in mine for ages and they look like HID's with the facelift type lights.
I'm pretty certain 80w bulbs aren't road legal. Whether you'd ever get stopped or not is another matter entirely :sly:

Personally, I'll be fitting a set of Philips X-treme Power +80% bulbs in my A3. Road legal and supposedly much brighter than the standard bulbs. In the past I've used Philips BlueVision bulbs (I'll be using them again for main beam and fog lights as I've got two spare pairs) which are a much nicer light than standard bulbs (whiter), and are a bit brighter as well (+30% supposedly). I'm also currently using Osram Silverstar bulbs in my Land Rover (which are supposedly +50%). Far better than standard, but in a Landie most bulbs are gonna be better than standard :p

I've got Powerblue bulbs in my A4 from www.Powerbulbs.co.uk and can recommn them they also do some Powerplus ones which are +50%.

Buy one pair get another pair free, and you also get free Phillips Blue vision sidelight bulbs as well. Thats 6 bulbs for £30.

I've seen another thread today where a code was mentioned for another 10% off but I cant remember where it was. D'oh

Thanks guys really tempted with those power bulbs will have a proper look later today.

I've tried Osrams and now Halfords +whatever% bulbs in my car and,although there is a difference,I'm pretty convinced it's the design of the headlight that's at fault for the poor performance.
The beam is all over the place,with a really marked cut off on dip.
Much more of a cut off than any other car I've owned.
On standard alignment,it goes about 20-30 feet,then NOTHING.
Adjusting the level does help though (the little white 'wheel' on top of the units).
You chance people flashing you though,but they can go poke.
Me seeing where I'm going is more important than temporarily inconveniencing 1 out of 100 people coming t'other way !

I was convinced I would go for xenons on my next car,but I'm not so sure they're needed if the design of the standard headlights is good.
I regularly drive other non-xenon cars that manage to light up the road perfectly well.

Autoexpress test of replacement bulbs:

Any "blue" bulb has a coating on the bulb to give the blue tint, so it will always have less light output than a clear bulb.

If you want the colour to look nice fine, but if you want the brightest light, don't go with anything other than basic "clear".

Best light output for years and best results in Autoexpress tests were jointly Osram Silverstars and Phillips Visionplus.

I've used both & can recommend...

Then GE introduced a "megabright" range of +60% and Autoexpress found these as good if not better.

(And Halfords use these in their "own brand" supabright +50% range, but they use other suppliers too, so if you're buying Halfords brand, look through the packets until you find two with GE printed on the bulb flange.)

I've just bought two GE produced Halfords bulbs and they're fractionally brighter than the Silverstars...

Finally, Philips have just introduced an "X-treme" +80% range. Autoexpress found them absolutely brilliant, but all the suppliers I can find on the net are out of stock and I haven't any personal experience......

Sinny71 said:
I've got Powerblue bulbs in my A4 from www.Powerbulbs.co.uk and can recommn them they also do some Powerplus ones which are +50%.

Buy one pair get another pair free, and you also get free Phillips Blue vision sidelight bulbs as well. Thats 6 bulbs for £30.

I've seen another thread today where a code was mentioned for another 10% off but I cant remember where it was. D'oh
Yep I did the same, great service and no problems! Really good deal.

SteveS said:
Legality aside for a moment, I'd be concerned about putting 80W bulbs in tbh. The manual warns about putting the correct wattage bulbs in (but then it would) and whilst I can't see a minor increase like 60W being a problem, 80W is a full 45% over standard and I'd be concerned about the straight it'd place on the electrics, especially if you did the main beams as well.

ive had them in for 6mths, there's no sign of heat or melting of connectors, wires, switches. 100w a definate no no on standard wiring, but these have been fine, even on a recent 500 mile round trip at night. i only have them in the dipped headlamp though.

But if you go for the +80% Philips X-treme range, you're getting the equivalent of a 100w bulb (well 99w anyway) without the heat risk...