Facelift Google Maps - taking ages to load/doesn't fully start

been annoying me all week.

I noticed that in map options, there are now three rather than two maps, Google Earth, Traffic and standard (the Traffic one is new)

I thought it had stopped doing it, but it took 15 minutes to get rid of the google earth splash screen on my journey home today, and even then half the map was not even present.

my google one has been playing up as well - works on and off at present - r u sure traffic one is new as I am sure I have had traffic one either since new in Sep 16 or if not for a long while?

Quick update today I've had 4 trips out in the car today and each time it's loaded up Google Maps straight away without any fuss before I've pulled off the driveway.

I'll be keeping an eye on it though as it definitely seems to be an intermittent problem.

Happened to me now! Started on Wednesday driving down to Doncaster and thought that looks blurry and had been the same since! Any update from Audi or Google?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've acknowledged the issue
de40df3a17817a96075107046c93ee8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: TDI-line
Mines been playing up aswell over the past fe days. Normal satnav works fine it's just the google maps view is buggy and take ages to load etc quite annoying

The option for google maps is now greyed and can not be chosen anymore...

I've always had the three map options iirc but intermittent issues have persisted all week.
I've just Tweeted Audi CC UK but they'll probably respond in the standard way "sorry to hear this......... can you provide your VIN"

Reply from Audi CC to my Tweet:

There is currently a technical fault with Google Maps. We’re looking at solutions to get the service running again. Thanks for your patience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: DrMal and Svenedin
Reply from Audi CC to my Tweet:

There is currently a technical fault with Google Maps. We’re looking at solutions to get the service running again. Thanks for your patience

Thanks for that. At least they are working on it. I don't know how to ****.

Mine was a minor annoyance taking about 5 minutes to load but has given up completely today.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I've clearly been a lot more patient with this problem than you guys! Having finally got fed up with the Google loading screen after a couple of weeks I've looked on here and I'm not alone! Thanks for raising with Audi - I look forward to 'normal service being resumed' soon as a result of 'forum power'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same issue with me since last week. Appears to be a problem everywhere (I'm in the states). So we wait for a solution.

I chased Audi up again and here's their response. Think I'll need a degree to understand it lol. Feel free to try it and report back on here:

"Hi. Thank you for your patience while we looked into this. Please could you try the following steps:

1. If an additional SIM card is inserted, remove it.
2. Switch off the data module (connection manager > scroll to data connection > right sub-menu > online settings > switch data module off).
3. Wait briefly until the menu item “Data Modules on “ is switched back to white.
4. Switch on the data module.
5. Wait for the bus sleep (ignition off, lock the vehicle, wait 20 minutes).

Could you let us know how you get on with this?"

I chased Audi up again and here's their response. Think I'll need a degree to understand it lol. Feel free to try it and report back on here:

"Hi. Thank you for your patience while we looked into this. Please could you try the following steps:

1. If an additional SIM card is inserted, remove it.
2. Switch off the data module (connection manager > scroll to data connection > right sub-menu > online settings > switch data module off).
3. Wait briefly until the menu item “Data Modules on “ is switched back to white.
4. Switch on the data module.
5. Wait for the bus sleep (ignition off, lock the vehicle, wait 20 minutes).

Could you let us know how you get on with this?"

qiev6.jpg

That's just a long winded way of saying turn it off then back on again.

I just want everyone to know...

THIS IS NOT GOOGLE MAPS!

It is an overlay of Google satellite view on top of VW maps. And its useless. It looks beautiful but I tried it instead of Google Maps in android auto and it took me longer routes and was slower. Use the maps on your phone and the smartphone interface. I promise it will be better.

I like the beautiful though as soon as Waze works properly that will be my go to nav option.

Waze works alright - its a bit buggy - It wasn’t updating arrival time through Android Auto for me but the route was fine.

Anyone having trouble sending destinations to the car from a computer using google maps? I realise this may be a feature that few people use. It is handy if trying to plot a complicated route -you can fiddle with the route on the computer (which is much easier) and then send the route to the car. I'm getting "we were unable to send this destination. Please try again". It did work, not that I used this often.

It seems this feature is hit and miss, I have used it with some success in my A4 though...

It seems this feature is hit and miss, I have used it with some success in my A4 though...

It's a while since I've used it and I'm beginning to doubt it ever worked!

Edit: it is now working to send a destination but not a route. Possibly it never worked for sending a route and I am imagining things.

Last edited:
It does seem that these problems are FL only as Google Earth overlay works perfectly on my PFL A3 and I can send destinations from my computer or iPad to the car with no problems. Have Audi not heard the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Audi UK Customer Care claiming the issue with Google Maps has been fixed.
Mine seems ok for now.
What about anyone else?

Reactions: Soup
Audi UK Customer Care claiming the issue with Google Maps has been fixed.
Mine seems ok for now.
What about anyone else?

Mine's been fine for a couple of days now ..... didn't want to report on here and 'speak to soon' ..... :)

mine appears ok now

I never really had any problems other than it being really slow to load up. This was annoying as it seemed to take a long time to plot a new route out.

I may just be impatient but often I've set off driving and it's still ****** loading the detail!!

I've switched to the traffic map and have to say I quite like how clean the view is.

I didn't like Google anyway... wasn't up to date... street view at my house had still got my old car on the drive :tonguewink:

Reactions: Soup and Audi Bairn
So even though I have my own data sim in the car, now that my 3 months subscription has elapsed I can no longer use google maps (or most other features for that matter) on my MMI.

Is this normal? I assumed that the subscription was a bit like a data plan for the embedded SIM, not that you had to keep paying in order to access 95% of the Audi Connect experience!

I had the same assumption. I took it to Audi and a couple of the service guys came out to figure out why it wasn't working with my prepaid data sim. It was only when I spoke to the salesman that he pointed out the embedded sim worked for some things and the external sim for others. For example, I can only connect my phone to the cars wifi if the external sim is inserted. However, if you want the Google maps then you need to have the embedded sim subscription.

I was advised to phone customer services, as they'll extend the 3 months trial for another 12 months free of charge. I did this and a couple of days later my Google stuff reappeared.
At the end of the 12 months I'm going to have to put my hand in my pocket and pay for the subscription I think, but luckily Audi have halved the cost of the plans.
I'd have a little moan at customer service and they should give you another 12 months.

Reactions: SILVAF0XX
I had the same assumption. I took it to Audi and a couple of the service guys came out to figure out why it wasn't working with my prepaid data sim. It was only when I spoke to the salesman that he pointed out the embedded sim worked for some things and the external sim for others. For example, I can only connect my phone to the cars wifi if the external sim is inserted. However, if you want the Google maps then you need to have the embedded sim subscription.

I was advised to phone customer services, as they'll extend the 3 months trial for another 12 months free of charge. I did this and a couple of days later my Google stuff reappeared.
At the end of the 12 months I'm going to have to put my hand in my pocket and pay for the subscription I think, but luckily Audi have halved the cost of the plans.
I'd have a little moan at customer service and they should give you another 12 months.

... they have done just that! There was even the suggestion that they'd extend it after that as well!

I would think they will get their house in order sooner or later...