Starter wiring fault

earmenow

Reaction score
Hi,

First post, hope you can help.

I have a starting wiring issue on my Audi A3, 1999-2000 1.9tdi. Can get engine code if I know how to find it.

Basically the starter motor refuses to turn over, the the Rac man hooked up a wire for me (right from the starter motor control wire) and when you tap it to battery positive the engine starts. He says I have a wiring fault.

Any suggestions what this fault could be, is there a common issue, relay or similar that I can do rather than taking it to a VAG Garage and get a bill.

Thanks in advance.

This means that either your terminal 50 circuit or signal is faulty. If it's wiring, you'll need to run a new wire/wire section as appropriate. If it's the signal you'll need a new switch. Both are easily checked by someone who knows what they're doing.

Ok, thanks for your reply.

Yeah I'm more than competent I just don't know the system. I've not worked on cars for years.

Can you point me to a web page, some instructions or a wiring diagram? I know it must be simple but I just need some pointers

Thanks again,
Simon

So basically I know where the one end of the wire is, lol, where does the other end of the wire need to go to?

Cheers,
Simon

Check volt-drop as per diagram (ignition switch -> starter; should of course be ~0V) -> trace/repair volt-drop as required.
Let me know how you get on.
658b220dd1b45f6ca7120c7e125caa4e.jpg

Hi!

Just wanted to close the thread and say thanks for your help.

So I tried to find the fault but didn't know where on the car to find the above on the schematic, so I bit the bullet and took it to a VAG garage today, and tbf you deserved my money instead of them. Lol

Anyhow, it was an ignition switch fault. Fixed it in a few hours.

Many thanks again for your help, appreciated. Hope I can add to this forum in the future.

Simon