condensed buyers guide

nky_84

6th Gear
Reaction score
going to have a look at an S3 on sat, so ive been shifting through the content in the buyers guide, crazy amounts of info in there.

Im basically asking people for the things to look out for when going round the car and on a test drive.

So far i have:

1. Crunchy synchro between 2nd and 3rd - 6k in 2nd quick change to 3rd an hope it doesnt crunch

2. Rusty bottoms of doors - needs trim taken taken off to check (hardly ideal on a test drive etc)

could copy paste what ive mentioned and create a list, then mods change to just one post with the complete list, just a suggestion , but would be helpfull to me!

. Faded / missing pixels on DIS display
. "Drivers door open" warning light when door shut (common problem but mainly seen in hot weather so may not show)
. Misaligned xenon headlights (hard to check I admit)
. Check rear windscreen washer operation is OK
. Check medium wave radio reception is OK
. See if cam belt has been changed (if car is > 5 years old or over 60K it's about time)
. Water coolant warning on cold start (again difficult to check if mild or already been started) - this is 9 times out of 10 due to the sensor being seated too high in the reservoir and not actually a problem
. Ask if it's ever been remapped (even if it's now standard) as this might mean more wear and tear

Also check for rust along the drain gullies on the roof

nky_84 said:
2. Rusty bottoms of doors - needs trim taken taken off to check (hardly ideal on a test drive etc)

For this on the S3, you will notice the side skirt trims attached to the door coming away from it, as the rubber that holds the nylon strip into them start to perish over time, so they become loose. I've had to replace my drivers side as it's was damaged beyond repair and fixed the passenger side one with a whole tube of araldite, so give them a wiggle and see if they have any play in them, which is a sign of damage.

I took my time when buying mine checking it all out, and forgot to check the electric windows :think: (one of which didnt work!). All sorted now thanks to some help from here. Dont make my mistake- Remember to check them!!!

Buster said:
Also check for rust along the drain gullies on the roof
Hard to see, easier to feel with a finger. Usually starts about 1/2 way along the legth of the rear window.