Dealership Prep

Bells

Reaction score
Hopefully my new S3 will be ready to collect within the next 2 weeks after arriving at the UK port today. It's my first brand new car so I wanted to ask people's opinions about the dealership preparation process after hearing a few different stories.

I've booked my car in for detailing in the first week of June to have a ceramic coating applied and the detailer has mentioned to me that I should ask the dealership to do the least amount of preparation possible beforehand.

I just imagine it's just a bit strange collecting a new car that's still dirty from transit? I'm considering just asking them to just give car a general clean but not do any polishing etc what are people's opinions on this?

It's from the JCT600 group just in case people have any good / bad experiences to comment on.

Thanks in advance :footy:

Hopefully my new S3 will be ready to collect within the next 2 weeks after arriving at the UK port today. It's my first brand new car so I wanted to ask people's opinions about the dealership preparation process after hearing a few different stories.

I've booked my car in for detailing in the first week of June to have a ceramic coating applied and the detailer has mentioned to me that I should ask the dealership to do the least amount of preparation possible beforehand.

I just imagine it's just a bit strange collecting a new car that's still dirty from transit? I'm considering just asking them to just give car a general clean but not do any polishing etc what are people's opinions on this?

It's from the JCT600 group just in case people have any good / bad experiences to comment on.

Thanks in advance :footy:
Ask to collect it as it was delivered to them. No washing. You can live with a dirty/dusty car for a short time. That be my choice.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and TDI-line
My detailer actually said let the dealership do whatever they want - That way you avoid issues such as if you take it to the detailer covered in plastic, they remove the sheets and see a mark or something in the paint, you can't then go back to Audi as they'll say well that's possibly been done by you / your detailer

At the end of the day they're not going to do an absolutely terrible job (if you make a point of wanting it swirl free so they know you're fussy lol) and the detailer will correct whatever harm they do inflict (could vary between dealers/detailers of course)

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
All Audi did on mine was remove the white film for the PDI and that was it, wasn't washed and the day I collected it had been raining so it was wet.

Detailer said to ask the dealer not to wash it.

I collected mine dirty as just didn't trust them.

They just removed all of the plastic sheets and I had a thorough look over it on collection to make sure of no issues.

It shouldn't be so dirty it hides anything untoward.

My dealer has an automated car wash, there is no way on earth my new car is going anywhere near that...! :)

They had to remove the plastic and I've told them not to touch it after that.

Reactions: Bells and Tom.H
Asked my dealer to do the minimum, they removed the plastic covers and washed it, took it to my detailer at the weekend and he couldn't find any swirls or scratches in the paintwork; I was pleasantly surprised as my last car was covered in them.

Thanks for all of the replies and advice. I'm going to contact my dealer tomorrow and ask that they try and complete the PDI without washing the car, happy to allow them to remove the plastic though.

May also try and hold off collecting until the 1st June so I can drop it straight down at the detailers but I probably won't have the willpower :whistle2:

Just a quick update after the following response I've had from my dealer:

"I am happy to only have the protective wrap removed, if this will insure 5 stars.

Please confirm that you only want the protective wrap removed and the car not washed, leaving the delivery wax and chalk on the car".

--

Not quite sure what they mean by chalk on the car, I presume this is what you sometimes see on the windscreen at dealers but surely this could just be wiped off anyway? As for the delivery wax I don't think I would be unable to tackle this with a wash at home before it visits the detailer?

Anyone else had a similar response / experience?

I believe @Bristle Hound did this. I can't find the thread right now.

FWIW I had the dealer remove the film and do the minimum prep they deemed necessary to assure the warranty. Car arrived dirty but without any film or chalk which was fine. Detailer confirmed the car was in excellent condition with no damage. I had about a month between collection and pro-detailing. Worth the wait.

Reactions: Bells
I believe @Bristle Hound did this. I can't find the thread right now.
@scotty76 @Bells - Here you go guys
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ack-edition-saloon.240456/page-9#post-2492971

It was a lot of work but well worth it IMHO
Upload 2017 5 10 18 43 11

Reactions: craigwhelan, Bells and scotty76
Thanks for the link, seems like you did a great job. I've emailed my dealer tonight just to confirm I'm happy for the transit film to be removed in order for the PDI to be done but still sticking with do not wash. I'll just take a good look around on collection to make sure there's no damage, I'm sure it won't be that dirty. I'll let the deatailer deal with the wax / chalk if it's something I can't tackle beforehand :smile new:

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Thanks for the link, seems like you did a great job. I've emailed my dealer tonight just to confirm I'm happy for the transit film to be removed in order for the PDI to be done but still sticking with do not wash. I'll just take a good look around on collection to make sure there's no damage, I'm sure it won't be that dirty. I'll let the deatailer deal with the wax / chalk if it's something I can't tackle beforehand :smile new:
Mine was dirty when collected but didn't look that bad...

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/the-s4-build-wait-thread.214174/page-12#post-2186775

I carefully washed it a couple of times before it went to the detailers but I didn't try and sort some of the glue marks. Everything was sorted whilst at the detailers and it came back looking awesome!

I guess in summary what I'm saying is you'll be fine. :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Bells
Glad to see there are others out there on the same train other thought. The condition of collection @Bristle Hound is exactly what I'm aiming for, discussions have already taken place and been agreed along the line of removal of the plastics but leave glue, residues and chalk marks. The dealer I'm using wasn't comfortable with attempting a handover to the detailer and back to them for me to then collect - which is understandable given insurance and liability etc.

Good shout on the plates being non-Euro ones and not screwed in...and also the dealer stickers. Although I don't believe the dealer I'm uses window stickers - they use plate surrounds...which may negate the sticking plates on question in any case...something to be confirmed.

Anyone got any recommendation based on experience on ceramic coatings, the detailer I'm looking to use is able to use various manufacturers it would seem (Gyeon, Mitchell King, Gtechniq to name a few); happy to be directed to another part of the forum on this specific question if required

Thanks

A few years back I got a new R32 after a 10 month wait. I always ask the dealer not to clean it.
When I got it home and started to try and clean it I found the paint work contaminated with tiny brown specs which I could not remove. After a six week haggle and contact with the UK VAG group chairman I got a full refund. Would have been much easier if they had cleaned it so this could have been spotted before I got it.
So sadly I now allow dealers to wash but not polish any new cars.

Crikey that sounds pretty horrendous, any idea what the brown specs were - don't suppose it was 'iron fallout' that'd already started to oxidise and affect the lacquer at all?

The idea of any car, let alone my car, being 'washed' with sponges, used rags, heavy nylon brushes and potentially dried with who knows what squeegee or cloth fills me with dread; mind you saying that...I've never actually enquired as to the exact nature of the PDI process...I have a feeling I'm going to be having a call. I did visit the dealership last week to discuss interrupting the PDI but I suppose may have been a bit hasty as I didn't ask the question of what their wash procedures and practices actually were - no doubt this varies from site to site

A few years back I got a new R32 after a 10 month wait. I always ask the dealer not to clean it.
When I got it home and started to try and clean it I found the paint work contaminated with tiny brown specs which I could not remove. After a six week haggle and contact with the UK VAG group chairman I got a full refund. Would have been much easier if they had cleaned it so this could have been spotted before I got it.
So sadly I now allow dealers to wash but not polish any new cars.

My car is currently wearing Kamikaze ISM coat. Previously had Cquartz Finest. The wife's Golf has Gyeon MOHS+ on it. They're all good. :)