Is the AMI worth getting an iPhone for? Or is Bluetooth just as good? (Upcoming contract upgrade)

Nick-A3

Reaction score
Got my A3 (15 plate) just over a week ago. Absolutely loving it so far! With it I got an AMI cable for an iPhone and an AMI cable with a USB connector that doesn't seem to do much with my Galaxy other than a never ending stream of prompts to connect?

Anyway... Nobody I know, or at least nobody I can get in my car actually has an iPhone. I know the music system was built with Apple products in mind, so I'm wondering if there's any significant differences between connecting an iPhone directly with an AMI cable vs my current Galaxy S6 with Bluetooth? Anything revolving around Spotify is a plus, but I'm not super bothered. The only thing I wish I could do with my Galaxy is display Album art over bluetooth, from Spotify or my own phones music library, I've only managed this with an SD card so far.

For what I actually use my phone for these days I don't really care about iPhone vs Android. But if the difference is insignificant sticking with a sim only deal seems like the way to go.

Would love to hear your input or personal experiences!!

Thanks! :)

Got my A3 (15 plate) just over a week ago. Absolutely loving it so far! With it I got an AMI cable for an iPhone and an AMI cable with a USB connector that doesn't seem to do much with my Galaxy other than a never ending stream of prompts to connect?

Anyway... Nobody I know, or at least nobody I can get in my car actually has an iPhone. I know the music system was built with Apple products in mind, so I'm wondering if there's any significant differences between connecting an iPhone directly with an AMI cable vs my current Galaxy S6 with Bluetooth? Anything revolving around Spotify is a plus, but I'm not super bothered. The only thing I wish I could do with my Galaxy is display Album art over bluetooth, from Spotify or my own phones music library, I've only managed this with an SD card so far.

For what I actually use my phone for these days I don't really care about iPhone vs Android. But if the difference is insignificant sticking with a sim only deal seems like the way to go.

Would love to hear your input or personal experiences!!

Thanks! :)

Apple car play is brilliant IMHO! You have to plug your phone in via a USB but from that you can use Maps, Siri, send and read messages, use spotify and ebooks. Bluetooth doesnt let you do this sadly

I haven't tried connecting an android to mine so have no clue but have you tried using your charging cable to connect? Or do you have the wireless charging box so don't need it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try telling Trev why you are loving your A3 so far!

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/trevs-a-big-fan.321222/

As for your question, there isn't much different between the AMI and over bluetooth. The AMI will help with some charging but its only very minor, the bluetooth will connect automatically when you enter and start your car. I just dont like cables everywhere so the wireless is my preferred choice.

Also apps like Spotify works well over bluetooth, it does display song title and artist but if you really want artwork to show then you need to have music via SD card method.

Reactions: Tom.H
Apple car play is brilliant IMHO! You have to plug your phone in via a USB but from that you can use Maps, Siri, send and read messages, use spotify and ebooks. Bluetooth doesnt let you do this sadly

I haven't tried connecting an android to mine so have no clue but have you tried using your charging cable to connect? Or do you have the wireless charging box so don't need it?

15 Plate car, no CarPlay on the MMI4G v1 units

I'm happy with my Galaxy as it currently is, if I need to charge it I can just plug it in but I like to keep everything quite wirefree.

Just on the maps... My Nav is currently disabled - I think due to lack of SD card containing the maps on? Does plugging your iPhone in using the AMI cable resolve this? I'm not super precious over maps, but it'd be nice to revive the feature even if I don't use it!

I like SD card. Tucked out of the way and always available. Neat solution.:footy:
Yeah, I'm happy with my SD card too! It's looking like upgrading for the sake of being able to use a cable that doesn't really add any value is a silly idea! :)

Try telling Trev why you are loving your A3 so far!

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/trevs-a-big-fan.321222/

As for your question, there isn't much different between the AMI and over bluetooth. The AMI will help with some charging but its only very minor, the bluetooth will connect automatically when you enter and start your car. I just dont like cables everywhere so the wireless is my preferred choice.

Also apps like Spotify works well over bluetooth, it does display song title and artist but if you really want artwork to show then you need to have music via SD card method.

Very happy with using Bluetooth and SD cards too. Everything is ready to go by the time I've turned the key! Doesn't look like there's much point in upgrading this time round. Glad I asked either way :)

Girlfriend has the S7 and i have the iPhone 6s Plus. No difference at all in the interface or options provided on my A3. We both have Spotify Premium and the album art doesn't work for either. All other info does. I have a low end version of the MMI though so might be because of that but i think most have no luck with it. Just go with whatever phone you want. Personally i would go with iPhone but thats due to being invested in the Apple eco-system

Regarding the Sat Nav, you need to search this in the search bar. Its really expensive to get it activated and then to buy the maps. Click on my profile and search for my 1st post. i asked the same question. I ended up going for TomTom maps on my iphone and buying the ClearMounts phone holder.

Last edited:
SD card is a good option, but sadly lack gapless playback... which may be unimportant to some... but leaves me wanting other solutions in order to play my collection of old school dance albums etc.

The advantage of SD card is the fact that they are always available and also show album art, but more often than not my phone is the media player of choice. Bearing in mind that I'm a lesser spotted Windows Phone user it all still works incredibly well over bluetooth, with my only real gripe being lack of album art.

On newer cars I believe this is available, but your phone has to have AVRCP version 1.6 which neither Android or iOs is.

Android - 1.3
iPhone - 1.4
Windows Mobile 10 - 1.5

Versions 1.4 & 1.5 allow you to navigate the phones media using the car interface, whereas 1.3 simply allows pause/play, skip etc...

If the latest MMI is providing album art, I can only assume it is pulling it down via the data connection of the car. My new S3 is finally in my grasp on Monday so will test what is available then!