Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade Help

Tom.S92

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know there are a lot of posts about this but I just can't seem to find one with the exact info and list of parts I need.

I recently purchased my A4 and I love it, aside from no aux/iPod connectivity. I have the stereo in the picture below, the concert 2 I think?

Would anybody be able to list the required parts to install an aftermarket stereo and be able to keep the steering wheel controls and MFD radio display please?

I also have a button for a phone, also pictured below in the right side red circle. Don't know what it does and if it needs any cables for an aftermarket stereo, but if anyone knows I'd be grateful. There looks to be some sort of holder/circuit in the armrest (picture below), I'm guessing they're related?

Thank you.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 453
  • la_foto_1.jpg
    la_foto_1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 426
  • 511075_x800.jpg
    511075_x800.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
what sort of head unit are you thinking of, I had the same setup in my old bus with full bose , upgraded to this pioneer head unit and very happy, came along at a good price and is a good spec and has BT function aswell.
IMG 20161120 113229 2

what sort of head unit are you thinking of, I had the same setup in my old bus with full bose , upgraded to this pioneer head unit and very happy, came along at a good price and is a good spec and has BT function aswell.

Looks good that!

I liked the look of this Pioneer: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...goryId=165655&productId=1246157&storeId=10001

Just not sure what I would need to get it compatible. I have the Bose sound system in it and I'm sure there is a subwoofer in the parcel shelf!

yes, that will be ok , what you will need is a fitting kit and that's not just the chassis kit either.
The head unit you have , (same as mine) uses the quad lock connection and if you have full bose you will need that part of the conversion kit too.
I purchased a full fitting kit , which in included the chassis , all the correct wirring harnesses and arial converter etc, basically all the parts you need to fit that head unit , well prettywell any double DIN head unit really.
Job done if you get all the bits in one go, bad news is that the kit is not really user friendly on the wallet......but if you want to change to something else non OEM then your going to have to cough up and pay the price i'm afraid.
good luck
let me know if you need the link and kit details.

rob

yes, that will be ok , what you will need is a fitting kit and that's not just the chassis kit either.
The head unit you have , (same as mine) uses the quad lock connection and if you have full bose you will need that part of the conversion kit too.
I purchased a full fitting kit , which in included the chassis , all the correct wirring harnesses and arial converter etc, basically all the parts you need to fit that head unit , well prettywell any double DIN head unit really.
Job done if you get all the bits in one go, bad news is that the kit is not really user friendly on the wallet......but if you want to change to something else non OEM then your going to have to cough up and pay the price i'm afraid.
good luck

rob

Thank's for that info. Depending on price, may try the DIY aux install if it's possible on my stereo. The link to the kit would be great thanks.

Decided to try an aux adapter if it's possible on my stereo. Would someone be able to help? It's this:

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

If it is possible to fit an aux adapter would anyone be able to link me to one on eBay, there are so many on there it's hard to know what's what, also would anyone be able to recommend where I could feed the cable through? Saw some holes in the glove box? Or drill a hole in one of the empty panels between the airbag and ESP button?

Thank's in advance!

not audio related tom but I notice from your first pic , the previous owner fitted RS4 pedal covers, and very nice too.....
I have a wiring schematic somewhere on my pc, I'll see if I can locate it and forward it on.

not audio related tom but I notice from your first pic , the previous owner fitted RS4 pedal covers, and very nice too.....
I have a wiring schematic somewhere on my pc, I'll see if I can locate it and forward it on.

Did they? I thought they were standard :grin:, do like them though!

The schematic would be a great help thanks.

I'm very interested to see how this post turns out.

Can I ask does your car have BT fitted and are you using an I,phone

Thanks

Great. what i am interested to know is, if you manage to wire the look in so you can play music from your iphone via the 3.5mm jack, will the phone still take and receive calls through the BT and go via in car stereo and make calls.

not sure if having a jack plug in to the i phone will interfere with its normal operating.

eagerly watching still.....

good luck

rob
I'd be very interested in this link, Rob, if you still have it?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom.S92
Finally got round to fitting the Connects2 aux box. £25 off eBay:

IMG_0866.jpg

Fit's really easily, just plug and play. Wired the aux cord through the gap between the steering wheel and CD player:

IMG_0867.jpg

Quality is far better than FM transmitors so all in all I'm happy with it. The only negative is the length of the aux cable supplied. After wiring it around the back of the CD it just about reaches as far as the gearstick. So I've purchased an aux extension cable.

Great. what i am interested to know is, if you manage to wire the look in so you can play music from your iphone via the 3.5mm jack, will the phone still take and receive calls through the BT and go via in car stereo and make calls.

not sure if having a jack plug in to the i phone will interfere with its normal operating.

eagerly watching still.....

As for your question, the BT works fine with it. When a call is received it cuts out the music and switches to the call and when the call finishes it goes back to the music. :grimacing:

IMG_0866.jpg

Fit's really easily, just plug and play. Wired the aux cord through the gap between the steering wheel and CD player:

IMG_0867.jpg

Quality is far better than FM transmitors so all in all I'm happy with it. The only negative is the length of the aux cable supplied. After wiring it around the back of the CD it just about reaches as far as the gearstick. So I've purchased an aux extension cable.

As for your question, the BT works fine with it. When a call is received it cuts out the music and switches to the call and when the call finishes it goes back to the music. :grimacing:
Thanks for the update, Tom. Looks pretty useful.

I purchased what I think is a full aftermarket conversion kit yesterday evening so hoping yo install it over the weekend. Will update everyone with a post on how it turned out if it goes well.

Thanks for the update, Tom. Looks pretty useful.

I purchased what I think is a full aftermarket conversion kit yesterday evening so hoping yo install it over the weekend. Will update everyone with a post on how it turned out if it goes well.

Hope all goes well! Will be interested to see it when it's fitted :grinning:

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

That's cool Tom glad your happy with it. ..
Is it easy to navigate etc

good luck

rob
Where did you get the full wiring kit from?

I think it was from connects, here is the one I went with.
Kit6