Coilovers install

moodlemog89

Reaction score
hi guys,

I'm installing Jom coilovers on my sportback and have successfully managed to do the rears without any issues.

The fronts I'm having an absolute nightmare with!

I've started with the drivers side, have removed the driveshaft bolt, the drop link bolt, the strut pinch bolt and with an extreme struggle managed to remove the strut.

I've assembled the coilovers with top mount etc and put it up into the turret, attached the 3 nuts under the scuttle panel in the engine bay.

I now need to put the bottom of the strut into the hub, but the hub sits higher than the bottom if the strut so I can't get it in the hole!

Am I missing something? Does the suspension arm need to be dropped? Or do I need to jack the coilovers up or something?

Firstly you don't need to remove the driveshaft bolt to get the strut out.
Once the pinch bolt is out, the drop link undone and a hub spreader is inserted into the back of the hub, the hub will drop down enough to get the strut out, you can then remove the 3 top bolts and take the strut out.
Refitting is the reverse of this.
You do really need the hub spreader though, it's a small tool but makes the job so much easier

Already have the strut out as I previously said... and I didn't need the hub spreader tool.

I have the new coilover dangling from the turret with the 3 nuts attached, all I'm trying to do now is get it into the hub hole. It seems I need to some how either push the coilover up with a jack or push the hub down some how, both will take some force though for the hub and strut to pair up...

Done loads mate, never had the issue you've described tbh.
Always been able to pull the hub down easily to get the strut back in

Reactions: moodlemog89
Cheers mate, I'm currently doing it with only the driver side jacked up. Do I need to have the passenger side jacked up at the same time and also remove the passenger side drop link for clearance? That's the only thing I can think of that's maybe working against me!

Definitely mate, get both sides up at the same time and disconnect the anti roll bar links or you'll be fighting against the other side!

Thanks bud, I'll get going again tomorrow, and hopefully nail it!

I was really expecting to run into problems getting the strut out without the spreader tool like everyone else but that was pretty straight forward lol

This is my first Audi. I've done loads of suspension changes on fords/fiats/etc before and it's generally been straight forward.

But we live and learn!

I read somewhere that you could use a 1/4 ratchet to spread the hub to get the strut out but there just wasn't enough give for me, so what I ended up doing was hammering a pry bar into the hub groove (probably eqivelant to 8mm Allen key width)
I then pried it with a claw hammer, whilst hitting the strut with a heavy mallet and this released the strut - it would have been quicker with the proper spreader tool though.

First time I did them on an A3 it took me 7 hours and a lot of cursing, after that I bought the tool from VW. Four A3/S3's later and it's a 2 hour job lol