1.8t or 2.0t fsi

andy tyler

It's my birthday
Reaction score
in the market for an a4 cab for wife. dont want a diesel or v6.
budget 5-5.5k looks like it will buy 2006-2008 circa 60-90k miles.

i want a 2.0t for the extra power when i want to have a little fun with it but how does the reliability compare with the 1.8t

i know the 2.0 gets coked up like most direct inj petrol engines and has a tendency to use oil. is the extra power worth the risk? & is the 1.8t as reliable as i assume it is?
will be a manual not multitronic

Hi, nice car for the wife and cruising around in the summer :)
Think you'll be looking at more B7s than b8s in those years and budget I think.
Wee difference in the 2.0tfsi's in the b7s and b8s. I've had both, and the 1.8T in an older A3 sport.
B8 tfsi is definitely more lively quicker responding and turbo kicks in a lot earlier around 1800rpm up to 5000 or so.
B7 2.0tfsi turbo kicks in around 2700rpm and can feel more like a normal 2.0 until then, you have to wind it up a bit more to feel get there.
Both have a bit of turbo lag , and have to anticipate when you need it as can catch you out sometimes once it kicks in!
Both are a lot quicker / powerful than the 1.8T, I think it prob suits the lighter A3 better. But still a decent wee engine, turbo is much more subtle.
It will be a bit more economical tho, and fine for most general driving- depends what you're used to tho.
Never had any oil consumption problems with any of them, thankfully all my 2.0tfsi's have been like camels !

Reactions: andy tyler
A4 Cab is a heavy car. you wouldnt want a 1.8t in one, if you have a choice. I had one for a bit it wouldnt pull you out of bed! 163bhp in that one.

My a4 saloon now is a 2.0 tfsi and as Kickflip says even that (with the BUL 220bhp engine) feels flat until 2.5k ish revs - its got to be the TFSI for me!

im well used to turbo lag. im in building trade & drive a van everyday (albeit 140bhp). i suspect the 1.8t wouldnt feel much quicer than the van. thanks to the above for the advice.

Reactions: jamie_a4
well its done. 2007 a4 52k 2.0t fsi with 2 owners & fsh.. did deal at 6400 on the basis dealer fits new cambelt & waterpump, new mot. very happy the car looks like new. need to do some reasearch now as to how to get the cambelt cover off to check it has actually been done.

Reactions: Klickflip
well its done. 2007 a4 52k 2.0t fsi with 2 owners & fsh.. did deal at 6400 on the basis dealer fits new cambelt & waterpump, new mot. very happy the car looks like new. need to do some reasearch now as to how to get the cambelt cover off to check it has actually been done.

nice one mate glad you got one sorted. The belt is right at front of engine, just a few push clips on the black plastic cover to check it

nice one mate glad you got one sorted. The belt is right at front of engine, just a few push clips on the black plastic cover to check it

sorry only just noticed this reply. i just watched a video on cambelt change it showed the top cam belt cover being held on by 2 torx but either which way its easy to check.

slightly different topic, when i inspected the car i noticed a churp noise from either the timeing or serp belt or one of their pulleys/tensoners. this was the reason i wanted him to put a new timing belt on just in case it was coming from in there, i could not be sure which belt it was coming from.

when running the serp belt tensioner seemed to be twitching around a little which, could that be the actual cause of the noise or is that normal. i have really looked closly at a serp belt tensioner in motion before