2.0 TDI CR 170 CBB Cut out, wouldn't start?

Avus Sportback

Reaction score
Evening all,

Had an issue with our car yesterday which totally blew my brains, misses was driving back from the school run and as she turned onto our street the engine cut out as if she had stalled it (but she didn't actually stall it). She rolled to the side of the road, tried to restart and she said it didn't sound right and wouldn't start. I got home yesterday day afternoon, put key in and tried to start it and my heart sunk because my initial thought was that there was no compression as it seem to turn over way too easily.

I hooked VCDS up and check for faults, nothing showing. Checked the measuring blocks for crank rpm (200ish on starter motor) and fuel pressure which was 272bar. With fuel pressure present and ECU seeing crank rotating I thought the engine or valves had gone.

Towed it to local garage and he thought the same as me because of the effortless cranking from the starter motor.

He checked the timing this morning and it was perfect, he tried again to start and eventually it spluttered and came to life, once running it was a little noisey from the hydraulic lifters? But eventually after a couple of minutes sounded perfectly normal. As precaution they checked the oil pressure which was fine and also changed the oil and filter as they thought the oil appeared a little on the thick side.

Question is, WTF went wrong??

Engine done 75k miles on a 2009 plate, last oil and full cambelt / water pump done December 2015 with genuine parts, long life oil and car does 8k miles per yer.

Does the engine have variable valve timing and can it stick causing valves to be left open?

Appreciate any help

Unlike some BMWs which can suffer from "sticky" valves on a cold engine when the oil is too thick, I have not heard of this on the mainstream VAG 2.0 TDI engine. Sudden "cutting out" often points to an electrical or engine management sensor issue - but this would have shown up on VCDS. The mechanical issue which comes to mind is a fuel supply issue - and given your relatively low mileage I am suspecting the fuel filter? Surprising how black and dirty (and possibly restricted) they get after say 40k miles/4-years and they often get overlooked with non-main dealer servicing.

Hi I got stranded last night with exactly this did you ever find out what the problem was with the car ???

Hi I got stranded last night with exactly this did you ever find out what the problem was with the car ???
Hi guys. I’ve put a similar post to this . Happened to me last week. Did you find out what it was?

mine came up with all 4 cylinders glow plugs electrical fault. Nothing else came up

Hi guys. I’ve put a similar post to this . Happened to me last week. Did you find out what it was?

mine came up with all 4 cylinders glow plugs electrical fault. Nothing else came up
No mate not a clue scanned my car came back with no faults at all