S3 Insurance Question

A Named driver is an occasional driver, not someone who uses it to commute to work everyday. That's why I asked if you drove it a lot or not.
Can you provide where it defines what a named driver is?

So we only have one car, we did have 2 put as we both work at the same place we didn't see the need to run 2 cars. She does the majority of miles so I put her down as the main driver, can't have 2 main drivers can you? I still drive the car regularly but not as often as her.

This is what Churchill's website says

If you don’t own a car but regularly drive someone else’s – perhaps your partner’s, or maybe you borrow your mum’s every week – then you can have your name put on their car insurance, usually quite easily and cheaply. This means that you will become a named driver on that person’s car insurance policy and you will be legally covered to drive their car. Another driver can also be added to a policy on a temporary basis.

This is what Churchill's website says

If you don’t own a car but regularly drive someone else’s – perhaps your partner’s, or maybe you borrow your mum’s every week – then you can have your name put on their car insurance, usually quite easily and cheaply. This means that you will become a named driver on that person’s car insurance policy and you will be legally covered to drive their car. Another driver can also be added to a policy on a temporary basis.
Well that doesn't really cover me as I own the car but says, you can be a named driver and drive it regularly, that'll do me.

She drives the car more than me therefore is the main user of the vehicle, as I'm not the main user of the vehicle I'm a named driver and as churchills website says you can still drive regularly.

Reactions: Scottyg
I'm the registered owner on mine however as I've only had my license 3 months my partner is the policy holder and down as the main driver.

What you state above simply raises suspicion that you drive the car as the main driver but don't declare it as such because you've only recently passed your test and insuring an S3 at this stage in your driving life would be extortionate. Here's the Named driver terms from ABI:-
IMG 0085

What's on your side is the insurance company proving that you drive it a lot. What I would check is that you are covered to commute to a place of work as part of your cover. Insurance companies are sneaky as they now state "a single place of work"! Because I use my car during work from time to time I have to have "various places of work" on my policy. Insurance is a mine field. I just wouldn't want anything happening to your gorgeous Vegas S3 and you having to fight with them over it.

Reactions: Milnesafc
What you state above simply raises suspicion that you drive the car as the main driver but don't declare it as such because you've only recently passed your test and insuring an S3 at this stage in your driving life would be extortionate. Here's the Named driver terms from ABI:-
View attachment 118710

What's on your side is the insurance company proving that you drive it a lot. What I would check is that you are covered to commute to a place of work as part of your cover. Insurance companies are sneaky as they now state "a single place of work"! Because I use my car during work from time to time I have to have "various places of work" on my policy. Insurance is a mine field. I just wouldn't want anything happening to your gorgeous Vegas S3 and you having to fight with them over it.
Appreciate it mate.

As I said mate we've only got one car, not like we've got 2 and I'm running the S3 on her insurance. They could argue the same thing if I was the main driver and she was named.

Let's just hope I never have to find out!

Reactions: Scottyg
We ( girlfriend and I ) have 2 cars which I legally own and we both use equally, sometimes I take one to work, sometimes I take the other and vice Versa. Come weekends we both use different cars on different weekends it all depends on what plans/commitments we have. I recently switched our insurance to admiral, went through the endless questions regarding drivers, miles, commuting etc and gave admiral as honest and frank answer as possible. They said it was in our interest to have myself as the policy holder on car A, then to have my girlfriend as a named driver on it, .........to have my girlfriend as policy holder on car B and have myself as a named driver on that policy, ( think it was to down to both of us being able to use/continue to accumulate n.c.b ) even though we've no concrete evidence who's the main driver of which car as it varies so much. This was suggested by admiral themselves even though there's no doubt at some stage in time I'll be driving car B more than Car A, whilst only being a named driver on it rather than the main driver and policy holder! Insurances are bonkers! I personally think as long as your 100% honest regarding who's roughly spending what time behind the wheel then the op and anyone else it may be effecting, really has nothing to worry about. After all....honesty is the best policy :rock:

Reactions: traindweller, Scottyg and Milnesafc