moving from b6 a4 to potentially a3 saloon- long term review needed

Focusy

Reaction score
morning all,

thinking of moving from a a4 saloon b6 to the a3 8v saloon, and keen to get some honest real life feedback on the cars, as their seems to be alot for sale with low mileage.

anything to be aware of in advance?

thanks focusy

I love the B6 A4, lovely shape.

The only negative to note is the boot size, if you need a boot then the A3 saloon is likely too small.

Suppose it all depends on what you need. I think the A3 Saloon looks better than the A4, but obviously the A4 is a larger car, so if you often carry rear seat passengers, the A3 may feel a little cramped.

Other than size and looks, I think the A4 & A3 will be pretty much the same in every other term.

Reactions: AudiNutta
When I was looking at the new A4 I noticed you get a lot as standard compared to the A3 saloon. Plus if buying on a PCP deal the A4
Representative APR is 3.90% the A3 is 4.9%. The Audi deposit contribution on the A4 is £2,500 on the A3 £800.00!!!

Just as a guide using their standard figures, 36 months, 10,000 mile, both 2.0 petrol s-line:

Eg

For me it would be the A4 looking like this:

Reactions: SevenW, pburv and KenL
When I was looking at the new A4 I noticed you get a lot as standard compared to the A3 saloon. Plus if buying on a PCP deal the A4
Representative APR is 3.90% the A3 is 4.9%. The Audi deposit contribution on the A4 is £2,500 on the A3 £800.00!!!

Just as a guide using their standard figures, 36 months, 10,000 mile, both 2.0 petrol s-line:

View attachment 117853

For me it would be the A4 looking like this:

View attachment 117857 View attachment 117858

Wow, that's interesting.. would never have thought the A4 be cheaper! More residual value I suppose.

It would be a no brainer for me, the new A4 is absolutely stunning!!

Reactions: pburv
Wow, that's interesting.. would never have thought the A4 be cheaper! More residual value I suppose.

It's surprising at what you can get for less! A mate of mine priced up the new 2.0 diesel X-trail (top spec) he also did the same with a Q5 Sport, the Q5 was more expensive to buy, but on a PCP the Q5 came out the cheaper option as the residual was around 70% after 3 years.

Reactions: pburv
OK we have a S3 saloon ( OK OK hers). It replaced a B5 QTS. Actual physical size is very similar, yes ,and I have all the measurements !
The boot is smaller though, shallower and not so long - it is actually a little wider though.
Interior space 'feels' similar as indeed the figures show, but you feel as if you are sitting lower in the S3. The B5 and B6 have loads of up and down seat movement, feels much more than the S3
I have a B6, that has slightly larger dimensions than the B5 but both are fairly similar. The B6 has more rear leg room and a slightly higher interior roof line than the B5 and S3.
If I have a lot for the local tip I use the B6 , it's just seems easier / quicker to get stuff out.

If you need/like a larger car then the figures above show that you can get good deals -- but the S3 does GO!
It was a tough decision and occasionally she still yearns for the QTS and it was chipped and went well!

Reactions: pburv, SevenW and AudiNutta
Hi all thanks for all the comments so far, I have considered the new a4 but I not to keen on the additional cost and messing around with all the adblue stuff if I go diesel

What the a3 like to drive on a long term?

I went from the a3 saloon to an a4, certainly a no brainer, cheaper monthly payments, cheaper servicing and if you go through carwow almost 16% discount. You certainly get more for your money and the A4 is a much better car to drive and sit in than the A3 was..

Reactions: AudiNutta
Hi all thanks for all the comments so far, I have considered the new a4 but I not to keen on the additional cost and messing around with all the adblue stuff if I go diesel

What the a3 like to drive on a long term?

But, the above quote showed it as cheaper?

morning all,

thinking of moving from a a4 saloon b6 to the a3 8v saloon, and keen to get some honest real life feedback on the cars, as their seems to be alot for sale with low mileage.

anything to be aware of in advance?

thanks focusy

Depends if you like a compact car. I personally prefer the A3 a lot more than the A4 saloon. The A4, while has nicer interior fit and finish IMO, drives like a boat. The A3 is much more tossable and much more fun to drive. It is however less practical as the trunk is quite a bit smaller, especially if you go Quattro.

OK we have a S3 saloon ( OK OK hers). It replaced a B5 QTS. Actual physical size is very similar, yes ,and I have all the measurements !
The boot is smaller though, shallower and not so long - it is actually a little wider though.
Interior space 'feels' similar as indeed the figures show, but you feel as if you are sitting lower in the S3. The B5 and B6 have loads of up and down seat movement, feels much more than the S3
I have a B6, that has slightly larger dimensions than the B5 but both are fairly similar. The B6 has more rear leg room and a slightly higher interior roof line than the B5 and S3.
If I have a lot for the local tip I use the B6 , it's just seems easier / quicker to get stuff out.

If you need/like a larger car then the figures above show that you can get good deals -- but the S3 does GO!
It was a tough decision and occasionally she still yearns for the QTS and it was chipped and went well!
Basically you said everything I was about to say!
I had a B5 S4 and went to a A3 Saloon, size wise they are the same, even the boot of the 8V can compare with the B5, close friend had a B6 which I could compare to and yes it was bigger than the B5 in every dept.
Obviously the newer B9 has increased in every sense and is good value. They are starting to grow on me.

but I not to keen on the additional cost and messing around with all the adblue stuff if I go diesel
Just top it up when needed, we are talking thousands of miles, not hundreds!

Screenshot wwweurocarpartscom 2017 02 19 11 48 00