Facelift Ordered a Hatch? Forget It!!

glenn1948

Reaction score
Ordered an S3 hatch beginning of January with a provisional delivery of April. Five weeks later and I am still at the welcome stage with no sign of a build date. Noticed others on the forum with orders dating back to Nov, Dec in the same situation. Five doors are coming down the line but no three door. Neither dealer or Audi Customer Services can explain why, so decide to write to Rupert Stadler the CEO. At least this got some results!!! Audi UK phoned me this morning------ and I now have a provisional delivery date --- OCTOBER, with a build week 38. If anyone is wondering that I have an option list that may give some reason for this, my order Ibis White, Hill Hold, and Reversing Sensors, hardly extensive. Some options may well increase this time past October. Trying to find a reason why it takes ten months to build a three door, and nobody can give an answer (or reluctant to say) Nice to know it's not just me singled out, as everyone in the same situation I am informed, which naturally cheers me up no end!!! Needless to say I will be driving something other than Audi before October. Anyone out there about to order a three door, or have not yet received a build date -- be warned.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Audi Bairn, slipped_disc and 3 others
Wow!

Anything in the country or being ordered for dealer stock that suits you? I would be looking into this and trying for some extra discount.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
Wow!

Anything in the country or being ordered for dealer stock that suits you? I would be looking into this and trying for some extra discount.
Thanks for the offer, but my dealer has already gone down that route. However, willing to listen if you can come up with something.

Sorry, I can't help it was just a thought.

Good luck.

Reactions: pburv
Audi have a del mileage one on their web site at the moment.Only got 500 miles on the clock..£35000.:friends:
edit....@ west london audi..

Reactions: RSS-S3
Audi have a del mileage one on their web site at the moment.Only got 500 miles on the clock..£35000.:friends:
edit....@ west london audi..
Not quite the same finance deal though I'm sure!

Not quite the same finance deal though I'm sure!
Being effectively a used car then you are right....But might be worth mentioning a deal to be made to make up the difference...That is if they still want your custom?...Failing that walk away.

I did placed my order on 17.12 and was given a provisional delivery date in may. A few weeks ago I was told june/july and now it has been updated to August...

I would assume there are some issues in the production...

Reactions: MrSkimo
I did placed my order on 17.12 and was given a provisional delivery date in may. A few weeks ago I was told june/july and now it has been updated to August...

I would assume there are some issues in the production...
According to Audi UK there are no issues, though when pressed as to why it takes 10 months to build a car -----Stony Silence

Reactions: pburv and slipped_disc
According to Audi UK there are no issues, though when pressed as to why it takes 10 months to build a car -----Stony Silence

There is so many factors why a car can be delayed, an utter pain in the ****! But Audi products are to order (pretty much) and this is a issue some of us can suffer on a ordered car!

There is so many factors why a car can be delayed, an utter pain in the ****! But Audi products are to order (pretty much) and this is a issue xome of us can suffer on a ordered car!
Agreed, but ten months wait for all three door is certainly not an issue this purchaser is prepared to suffer. Frustration factor increased because no one able to explain the reason. Can only assume there are some very patient buyers out there.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and pburv
From what I understand (and it happened to me) is cars like S3's or equivalent S, RS Cars, it that dealers book production slots way in advance. They chose a spec they know they can sell in the showroom should it arrive. However, they hope that someone will want to order an S3. They then simply revise their spec to the customers spec. Thus keeping production slot.

This happened to me. Guy at my old works had an S3 Saloon on order from April 2014. I walked into my local dealership (different to dealer he used) in December 2014, and looked to order an S3 Saloon. The dealer had a few S3's on order, and changed one of the specs to what I wanted. We both got our S3 Saloons in the same week in March. He waited approx 12 months, I waited 3 months.

To the OP. I'd suggest going round a few dealers and see what they have pre-ordered. You may be able to get an S3 Hatch way sooner than October.

Reactions: pburv and Flying Scotsman
Thanks for the heads up, and did take a look. Spec not to my liking and thought at £33500 for six months old, second hand a bit rich for my blood. Just for a bit of amusement and a pointless exercise I fed the details to We Buy Any Car who valued it at £20500!!!

Reactions: Soulboy and pburv
Webuyanycar are a joke!

Wow 10 months is insane! Mine only took 10 weeks from order to delivery to dealer. Albeit a 5 door but that can't be much different??

Agreed, but ten months wait for all three door is certainly not an issue this purchaser is prepared to suffer. Frustration factor increased because no one able to explain the reason. Can only assume there are some very patient buyers out there.

I agree 10 months is excessive, with no good reason!

Ive waited 5 months for my 3dr

IIRC on another thread the yearly production was something like 300,000 5drs compared to 13,000 3 drs. So it makes you wonder if they're just not bothering to build any 3 drs currently as 5 drs are so much more popular?.

Webuyanycar are a joke!

Not always, I used to think that as well.

They've offered more for my car than Audi and Evans Halshaw, also offered my brother more than Audi when he got rid of his TT.

Buy a sportback sorted lol seriously though which franchise are you dealing with as they are not all linked and all have various stock/showroom cars, last time l was in Glasgow Audi they had 2 in the showroom with just some extras, my point is l think you will have to come and go in specification and colour if you want a 3 door car mate

Does this mean that 3 doors are going to go up in price due to 10/1 sport backs on th road

Sorry not helping

Yes mine was a 3 door as well.Useful info that explains why mine seems to be taking longer than many others. I ordered December and after hassling (a lot) I finally have a build date of 8th May. If this goes back much then I will simply ask them to change for a 5 door. I'm not overly precious about it being a 3 door to be honest. However, I think Audi were doing an extra discount for the 3 door in December. Not sure why they did that if they couldn't build them.

I do think they need to be honest when you order. If they'd said you can have a 5 door in 2-3 months and 3 door in 8 I'm know which way I'd have gone!

Reactions: richinsoton, pburv and slipped_disc
I ordered a 3 door vy beginning of Jan and got a build date March 27th I hope it don't move!!!

I ordered my 3dr s3 be on 7/11/2016 and it arrived at dealer begining of feb. I ordered from tamworth audi.

mine is a 5dr sportback s3...

and looking at some german forums, it seems we are not the only ones

Got told similar by my dealer on Tuesday, ordered my S3 23rd of Jan but He couldn't get build allocation until this week as the dealship didn't have any S3 allocations available until the 12th Feb. At time of ordering he thought would be around 12 weeks, then when phoned for update and to make sure I had an allocation he told me provisional BW 38, also said was due to it been a 3 door as they were seeing similar for other 3 door orders.
Some slightly good news though was that a S3 (3 door) he'd ordered for another customer a few weeks b4 mine was originaly also given build week in the 30's but he says that one has recently been brought forward to BW17/18!!
So maybe there is hope for us all yet.

Reactions: richinsoton and Don76
Spoke to my son tonight factory orders 3 door S3's November delivery

IIRC on another thread the yearly production was something like 300,000 5drs compared to 13,000 3 drs. So it makes you wonder if they're just not bothering to build any 3 drs currently as 5 drs are so much more popular?.

23 five doors to every 1 three door - surely not? The 3 door may be less practical but looks a lot better - tried to add a cheeky emoji but it got ditched!

Reactions: richinsoton and zippster
Has he any idea why the delay for anyone not wanting an avant :tonguewink:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
I could just about wait that long if they were building me an exact clone of Scarlett Johansen to do with as I wish. For a hatchback? Nah!

Reactions: richinsoton, MattSedg, pburv and 1 other person
Is this why they give a higher finance contribution on 3dr?

Believe so, Sportback is more popular (as it looks so much better :whistle2:) so they don't need to give as much towards it.

Reactions: Jassyo06, MattSedg and pburv
10 months.
Jesus wept.

It's a mainstream hatchback, not a Zonda or Mclaren!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
Simple, change order to Saloon.
It's the best variant on the 8v!!!!

Reactions: Pook, Audi Bairn and pburv
Spoke to my son tonight factory orders 3 door S3's November delivery

Who'd entertain that!? 3, maybe 4 months max but November no chance.
That's farcical Audi.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Who'd entertain that!? 3, maybe 4 months max but November no chance.
That's farcical Audi.

Maybe it's just that the demand for them is minimal mate who knows, now if 3 doors where a must l would be considering a 230 S_line black edition TT

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn and ColMariner
Maybe it's just that the demand for them is minimal mate who knows, now if 3 doors where a must l would be considering a 230 S_line black edition TT

Could be mate, am a little surprised they still give the option as most other manufacturers seem to have gone down the 5 door only route recently, which is one of the reason why I stuck with another S3.
May also look into TT as my lad passed his test last week and picked up his standard issue teenage lads Corsa limited edition yesterday, so could probably get away with having one now as will very rarely require to have anyone in the back apart from the dog and He's only a little Boston.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn

Yeah the wife's one is just the 180 S-Line but I'm quite impressed with it.
We've had all three designs of TT and the MkIII is definitely a step up in terms of spec, it's a much more polished / less basic car. And with the Coupe, you can get a reasonable amount in the back with the seats folded down as, let's face it the back seats are as much use a wet toilet paper for anything other than a small dog.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, ColMariner and 1 other person