Steering wheel swap

Hal Adams

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I wish to get my steering wheel re-trimmed in carbon fibre, rather than buy a complete new wheel. However it will take a good few weeks, and realistically maybe a couple more after to allow for 'artisan temperment' (!) So I thought maybe a basic wheel off ebay just to keep me going - there are loads with the new style airbag retainer for £70 or thereabouts.

This will mean not having my paddles or multif buttons connected, which will throw up all sorts of errors - but will someone confirm that there will be no significant change to the operation of the car please? Maybe someone has done the same..?

Thanks

I wish to get my steering wheel re-trimmed in carbon fibre, rather than buy a complete new wheel. However it will take a good few weeks, and realistically maybe a couple more after to allow for 'artisan temperment' (!) So I thought maybe a basic wheel off ebay just to keep me going - there are loads with the new style airbag retainer for £70 or thereabouts.

This will mean not having my paddles or multif buttons connected, which will throw up all sorts of errors - but will someone confirm that there will be no significant change to the operation of the car please? Maybe someone has done the same..?

Thanks

Yikes! I'd imagine it will cause lots of issues as you say, but I suppose you should be ok. Not sure if disconnecting the paddles will affect the operation of the box though?

Some luck as I have now managed to find a wheel with the MF buttons, but not paddles, on ebay for £40. The main thing - for me anyway - is the airbag. This wheel is the new type so that is a box ticked. I cannot see the paddles will affect the box operation as they are only connected into the CAN so not controlling any solenoids etc.
I will soon see as it is now ordered and hopefully here for the weekend!

Reactions: Mark_86