A4 MMI eating text messages

DotNetDude

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
New to the forum...

I've got an A4 Avant SLine 190 TFSI. My first Audi, picked it up in May and love driving it. Every thing is absolutely just fine, except a couple of niggly issues, one of which I'm posting now. My android phone is integrated just fine through bluetooth. It connects everytime (mostly) and I use all the features, data, audiconnect, etc. When I go to the Phone in the car, I can view all the call logs and text messages in the car.

The issue is, if I receive a text message or call whilst the phone is connected to the car, that text or call is missing from my phone when I leave. There is no trace of the message or the call in the call log on the phone. And yet if I re-connect the phone to the car, I can see the text, once again through the MMI interface. It is as if the car has eaten the message, so it is not actually on the phone, but is in the car.

This is obviously not expected behavour and I see it as a bug. as the car should not be eating messages or calls. My question is, does anyone else duffer from the same issue and if so, is there a configuration option that I can ask the garage to switch, to get it work properly?

Its really frustrating, to lose messages, just because they were received whilst I was driving...

Thanks

J

I have not got this issue so I don't know why you should, I would suggest you delete your phone and reset the mmi but there is a danger you'll lose the history of your text messages completely.

This would also largely depend on the make/model of your phone, and if it's carrying the latest updates. With Android there can be so many variables. Does the same happen when you use Android Auto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had that though with any incarnation of android from 4.0 onwards. There might, however, be a setting on the phone somewhere that could be doing this...

Thanks, interesting thoughts. The phone is a Samsung S7 with no updates outstanding. I don't recall the problem happening when connected via Android Auto, although I rarely use it. I will double check that when I get an opportunity this evening. As it happens I had a phone replacement just a week ago due to a smashed screen, so the phone/connection has all been recently reset.

I checked the issue this morning with just texts and I'm now not receiving any texts when the phone is connected to the car. As soon as I disconnect, the texts come into the phone. I notice there is a Envelope with a line though it in the bottom right hand corner, which I assume means that messages are off, although I checked the settings and it all appears to be enabled. I'll have to go thorugh it again to double check if there is another option somewhere but the Text notification setting is definitely checked.

I didn't get any calls so can't tell yet if the call log is still affected, will try this evening...

A long shot but go to apps in settings on your phone and check the following is set in messaging:
Block all - off
Treat as priority - off
Allow Peeking - on
Hide sensitive content - off
In messaging app permissions, all on
Make sure that the notification is turned on for Vibrations, Pop-up display, Preview message
I would also try resetting your MMI though.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the long shot. I clearly have a different phone from you as I don't have those options, however I did get the gist of what you were suggesting and double checked the blocking and notifications. How do I reset the MMI, I've not seen any options to do that?

So, despite the new phone and newly created bluetooth profile, problem still exist. Calls received in the car do not appear in the call log on the phone when I remove the phone from the car.

What I did discover however, is that for texts , the car is showing the texts on the sim, not the texts on the phone. I thought that perhaps it related to the fact that I was using the data connection from the phone. I have a spare sim sat in the glove box slot that I use from time to time. I tried using that for data, but that didn't make any difference. Very frustrating...

Yeah I have android v6 whereas you probably have v7, resetting the MMI is in the main menu scroll to the settings option in the MMI and select it. Scroll down to the "Factory settings" option and select it. You then can select each option, select all if you wish, if not then just ones pertaining to the phone, selecting all will delete all of your navigation settings, car settings and Audi Connect.
Then just select restore factory settings, after which you'll need to pair your phone again...

Ah - seeing you state there are messages on the SIM, I wonder if the MMI is connecting as RSAP (Remote SIM Access Profile) which is 'shutting' off the SIM to your phone and taking control? See if there is any settings in you're Bluetooth for that and turn it off. You should be able to use handsfree profile if it specifies it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good find, as far as I can see the s7 supports rsap and, from what I've read, when this phone is paired there could be a list if profiles that appear, one being car phone(rsap) and another hands free, which is normal bluetooth handsfree and possibly what the op needs. Info here in this thread http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/126449-rsap-samsung-galaxy-s7.html

Reactions: maui
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the messages and ideas. Ok, I have spent the entire evening in the car! I have factory reset everything in the car related to bluetooth, wifi, phone, media, etc. deleted profiles on my phone, added them, removed them. etc. So frustating that this is not working. The most annoying thing is, I can take my wifes S6, hook it up and within seconds it works perfectly with both texts and call logs (we are both running Android 6.0.1).

Yes I do use the phone in RSAP mode as my contract has unlimited mobile data. I wondered the same thing however if I use the "spare" sim for the car and then connect with the "hands free" profile, it doesn't make any difference. Well, actually there was a very subtle difference. Under RSAP I get to see the messages that it says are on the SIM (as mentioned above), but in regular "hands free" profile, it just says "There are no text messages" (or similar message).

Starting to get annoyed now...

I probably can't help you further as I haven't the same phone with that version of android. It might be worth your while post a query on a Galaxy S7 forum instead or find someone in here who has an S7 and compare settings...

Last edited: