Had a couple of “moments” at the weekend in my S3 FL

Deepster

Reaction score
Firstly sat at a level crossing foot on the break , the gearbox was in Drive, but the stop/start had not cut in. Once the train had past and the barrier had gone up, I pressed the accelerator and the engine just revved like the DSG was in neutral. I had to move the stick to P and back before it would select a gear.

Next day I was stationary at a junction, waiting to turn right, I floored the accelerator and went into what I can only describe as a back wheel lead, 4 wheel slide or a tank slapper in bike speak. It really felt like the back wheels were doing the pushing and causing the snaking. The temp was 9.5c and the road was damp at most, so it was most unexpected.

Anyone else encountered either of these. ?

Reactions: andrew.w
Firstly sat at a level crossing foot on the break , the gearbox was in Drive, but the stop/start had not cut in. Once the train had past and the barrier had gone up, I pressed the accelerator and the engine just revved like the DSG was in neutral. I had to move the stick to P and back before it would select a gear.

Next day I was stationary at a junction, waiting to turn right, I floored the accelerator and went into what I can only describe as a back wheel lead, 4 wheel slide or a tank slapper in bike speak. It really felt like the back wheels were doing the pushing and causing the snaking. The temp was 9.5c and the road was damp at most, so it was most unexpected.

Anyone else encountered either of these. ?
I have encountered the back going out once unexpectedly but it was somewhat cold / damp and I was pulling out of the junction quite fast.

I have since been able to recreate the situation in dynamic mode (makes it more likely to happen) a couple of times... Seems like normal behaviour as it loses traction at the front and moves power towards the rear (sometimes kicking it out, depending how hard you're driving

The first situation you had is odd though

I have encountered the back going out once unexpectedly but it was somewhat cold / damp and I was pulling out of the junction quite fast.

I have since been able to recreate the situation in dynamic mode (makes it more likely to happen) a couple of times... Seems like normal behaviour as it loses traction at the front and moves power towards the rear (sometimes kicking it out, depending how hard you're driving

The first situation you had is odd though

Guess this adds to the; how much power can it push to the back wheels debate, in this case too much

Yeah, I've had the back end out in both my S3 (facelift) and a 2016 TTS. Seems current generation haldex is pretty fun :p

Reactions: RSS-S3 and azibux1
yup, everyone moaned about understeer so looks like the FL has fixed this. had mine wayward a few time. Awesome lol

As for the gearbox issue, I have not encountered that. I always turn off my stop / start as it annoys me. It frightened the wife the other day, stop / start kicks in a bit too fast and kills the power steering even before its come to a full stop. She turns it off now as well.

ive had many "oversteer" moments in my PFL, seems to happen when the fronts loose traction in the damp and the rear kicks in

Mine was too understeery (PFL) but once I'd done the already planned mods of M-Cantronic and Eibach Sportline kit it became a lot more neutral. Now I usually drive with the ESP in "Sport" and it's nice and lively!
Adding lightweight 19s and sticky rubber has helped the overall experience too.

Fair play. how much do you need to provoke it to get the back end out? i've had my foot down on a roundabout and it's pretty much stuck to the road like glue

Fair play. how much do you need to provoke it to get the back end out? i've had my foot down on a roundabout and it's pretty much stuck to the road like glue

I've had it once coming off a roundabout. But also as said in dynamic you can make it happen at a junction if you pull out hard and it is a bit cold / damp outside

Also had the back wiggle when pulling into a 90 degree junction then putting my foot down hard before it completely straightens up

PFL by the way

Reactions: batch