Hellooo, considering an S3 saloon...help!

DeeVub

Reaction score
Hellooo folks. New one here ✋

Thought i would join up as i have recently seriously been considering an S3 saloon. Ideally i would have loved to wait for the RS3 saloon, but i dont have the balls to shell out 50-60 grand on a car!

I currently drive a C63 Estate, had it for 2 and a half years...but im getting that itch for a change Don't get me wrong, the car is fantastic, but its approaching 7 years old!

Thought i would get your guys input as you will all have the appropriate knowledge to help me out!!!

Now, i have never bought a brand new car, i personally can't find any benefit to it apart from being able to spec it to your exact wants. I am planning a test drive of an S3 saloon when i get back home from offshore, but this doesn't' mean i plan on purchasing a brand new one. I just want to get a feel for it amd see if it gives me that 'buzz'. Ideally i am looking at a 2016, or i would even go for a pre facelift 2015.

Is there much difference between the 2015 to 2016? What optional extras should i be looking at as must haves or very desirable? What should i look out for?

Also, iv been a PCP buyer in most recent past, i am lucky to be in a position where i could go out and buy cash...but personally, especially with being in the volatile oil industry just now, i prefer the money in the bank...what is the best route to go down these days?? Iv seen people talking about taking out pcp, and then taking out a loan and instantly clearing the pcp...due to loan interest rates being considerably lower than pcp interest rates. Is this just a viable method when buying a new car to take advantage of dealer contributions?? Or can it be beneficial in used car purchases too? Or with regards to used car purchases...just take a loan out prior to purchase and forget pcp all together? My original plan would be to stick a healthy deposit down and the rest another form.

Apologies for the long winded message. Hope yous made it to the end

Reactions: Audi Bairn, azibux1, Rumpelkillskins and 1 other person
I couldnt figure out a user name since i dont actually own an audi So used an old faithful from when i was right into VW's

Anyways, here is a little of my car history! From when i was young till now.
First car was a wee Polo 8v, which i ended up ripping the engine out and sticking a Gti engine in! Nippy little ******!!
IMG 0257

Then a Corrado VR6 supercharged.
IMG 0260

A skoda fabia on air
IMG 0850

Moved to the dark side,to give it a go! Celica GT4.
IMG 0164

Gave the dark side another whirl. Imported MR2 Turbo. Whilst blistering quick, i probably wouldnt be here today if i kept it...it was ummm, a handful lets just say!
IMG 0259

Still with the dark side...Evo 8 Fq340, tuned to 400. A pleasure owning one, what a car!
IMG 0331

Aaaand breathe...back to german! R32!
IMG 0848

For some reason, after the R32, i bought an Insignia VXR estate...the misses fell pregnant, i felt like i needed a bigger car, eugh...it was dull!!! Lasted about 4 months!! And theeeeen...here we are at the current car...this certainly isnt dull!!

C63 estate...combined the best of most worlds...it was child 'friendly' and i could still have a bit of fun if i needed it!!
IMG 0849
So thats about it folks...a bit of my car history over the last 10 years from when i first started driving. Hope you enjoyed. And fingers crossed your guidance can see my bum in a nice s3 saloon soon ☺

Cheers
Phil

Reactions: BigBill, Audi Bairn, Mark_86 and 4 others
I don't know about Europe but in the US the facelift was the 2017 model year so...

It will function much better as a city ride than a family hauler but I'm sure you realize that. I will admit to uncharacteristically it reading through everything you wrote. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello and welcome,

nice car history too, your R32 was the same as mine.

Main difference between FL and PFL was 310 and 300 PS (BHP) output, and if you choose S-tronic, is 7 speed and 6 speed. Also Dynamic lights added to FL (sweeping rear indicators). Probably a little more standard options on the PFL too.

Good discounts on PCP at the moment usually only on brand new though, worth checking out Carfile.net, Orange wheels, and Coast2Coast cars etc to see discounts.

£4766 discount on Black Edition S3 Saloon below... (without options discounted too).

https://www.coast2coastcars.co.uk/car-quote/?make=164&model=121

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Audi Bairn
If you do consider buying used then the early S3 saloons had the 'mag ride' as an option only. I think it became standard mid 2015 onwards.... :friends:

Reactions: TDI-line, Flying Scotsman and Audi Bairn
Welcome @DeeVub

Enjoyed reading your car history.

Having come from an S5, I'm a recent S3 Saloon (2017MY) and loving it.

Reactions: pburv and Flying Scotsman
Ditto to the above comments, I do no no know where you live, but if you can swing it from the dealer, ask for a 4 hour or even better a day long test drive. My brother and cousin who live in the Inverness area have no issue with asking a dealer for this and they are happy to comply. It might be a Highland hospitality and or good business practise, as I believe that is hard to get a dealer in some parts of the UK to agree to this type of test drive. They want to sit and chat with you for 5 minutes as you circle around the dealer's streets, not too much to be learnt there.
After a decent test drive and evaluation, you should have an idea if the S3 saloon is for you.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
Ditto to the above comments, I do no no know where you live, but if you can swing it from the dealer, ask for a 4 hour or even better a day long test drive. My brother and cousin who live in the Inverness area have no issue with asking a dealer for this and they are happy to comply. It might be a Highland hospitality and or good business practise, as I believe that is hard to get a dealer in some parts of the UK to agree to this type of test drive. They want to sit and chat with you for 5 minutes as you circle around the dealer's streets, not too much to be learnt there.
After a decent test drive and evaluation, you should have an idea if the S3 saloon is for you.
Totally agree.
I've had half day, full day and even two day unaccompanied test drives from Stirling Audi, in Central Scotland, in the past and it's very worthwhile.

Reactions: pburv
Buy a Approved used S3 saloon....Cash,the interest rates on a new one on a PCP deal..............would bring a tear to a glass eye mate

Reactions: pburv and TDI-line
C63 :clap:

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the warm welcome folks!!

I assume in order to partake in an extended test drive, this would involve booking quite a bit in advance? Im from Aberdeen, so not sure what the dealership is like...probably on the lower end of the 'bend over backwards' scale!

@jassyoO6 yeh my thoughts exactly, but i was reading somewhere on here of people, taking out pcp in order to receive the dealer contributions, and then paying off the finance with the use of a loan...bank interest rates a lot lower than pcp interest rates.

Thanks for all the info folks ☺

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Flying Scotsman and 2 others
Speak to Sean at Aberdeen Audi, he's been pretty good for me. I've had 24hr test drives on PFL and FL S3 and TTS, happy to just sit and have a chat and never been pushy when it comes to a sale.

Si. :)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv and Flying Scotsman
I am sure you would love the s3, but what about the space difference and the sounds of a 6.3? How about the s7?