How long do your front tyres last you?

scoss

Reaction score
Had the tracking done and had a tyre reading for all 4. I've done 10k on all 4. My rears have 6mm left on them and my fronts have 4/5.

I'd like to think I can get 20k but I might be wishfully thinking. I'm on Good year eagle 1 asy3's.

I know due to the front wheel drive the fronts will get more of a hard time. Do any of you swap your rears to the front? Are there any negatives to this in terms of handling?

All personal preference really but common answer is that you want your better tyres on the rear as understeer is easier to correct than oversteer (for the average driver)

Reactions: Wibbly and Jassyo06
Interesting reply....I have driven a lot of front wheel drive cars and always rotated front to back and vice versa, as per manufacturers recommended service intervals which are generally every 12 months. Asked the Audi service manager why the Audi services do not include this requirement. The answer was 4 wheel drive and I find this strange as the S3 quattro is very front wheel drive biased. I will still rotate the tyres every 12 months regardless of Audi's policy, mostly to even out tyre wear.
I really do not want to be buying tyres two at a time and I also like to try different tyre manufacturers tyre designs which would be pricey when only the fronts are worn to the point of replacing, as I would replace all 4 rather than mixing brands and tyre design and I do not want to be stuck with what came on the vehicle.
I also asked my tyre store which I have used for years and he agreed with my thoughts and was surprised at Audi' s reply for the S3 vehicle.
Do any of you have reasons to say why I should not be following this procedure? Also the S3 is setup for pronounced understeer from the get go with its front wheel drive bias

Last edited:
That in response to me? If so, I too in the past have been recommended to move my OLD tyres to the rear and fit new ones at the front of a FWD car when fitting two by a tyre store and we trust the guy a lot, known him for years.

However I believe advice from even some tyre manufacturers and AA etc is to have new / best ones on the rear.

I've never personally rotated tyres and changed all 4 at once, however I do see your reasoning behind doing it

It is often un-related / unaffected by the drivetrain format.

See some opinions below:

http://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/car-tyres

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-rotation

All suggest new at the rear. I have just realised I have gone slightly off the rotation topic though.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
At 14000 mile oil change front were 4.5, rears 5.5 so expecting 18000 from fronts 20000 for rear, can't be bothered with swapping, rebalancing etc for 2000 miles saving on rubber so will change all 4 when fronts go...simples

Always expect more wear on fronts for FWD....my previous non Quatrro A3's typically needed changing after 17000 from fronts and 22000 for rears so performance on S3 is pretty much in line with my expectation given extra power of S3 and bias of Quattro on the front wheels

I changed all 4 at 16k, the fronts were gone and the backs had 2.5mm

I use launch control daily so I'm happy with 16k :)

Reactions: pburv and Psyman79
My granddad has the standard 225/40/18 continentals, he has just turned over 18k and needs new on the front! That's good going for continentals, my experience is that they don't last very well.

I've always put the 'older' tyres on the rear and new ones on the front on my cars (all FWD). Mainly because I'd rather have the better traction and steering from the newer rubber and I'm quite happy with abit of oversteer now and again. Keeps it more adjustable and fun. But that's me and probably going against the grain or recommendations of the professionals.

Reactions: batch, RSS-S3 and azibux1
Currently at just over 22,000 miles on the original tyres (Conti Sport 5), back are around 6mm and fronts are almost on the 3mm wear marker.

Longest I've ever had a set of front tyres! Will change at 2mm, so hoping for 25,000

Reactions: Mark_86
Always change my tyres when down to about 3mm. That said, I average 14k on fronts and 16k on rears.

All that on Conti's (which I love) ;)

Interesting reply....I have driven a lot of front wheel drive cars and always rotated front to back and vice versa, as per manufacturers recommended service intervals which are generally every 12 months. Asked the Audi service manager why the Audi services do not include this requirement. The answer was 4 wheel drive and I find this strange as the S3 quattro is very front wheel drive biased. I will still rotate the tyres every 12 months regardless of Audi's policy, mostly to even out tyre wear.
I really do not want to be buying tyres two at a time and I also like to try different tyre manufacturers tyre designs which would be pricey when only the fronts are worn to the point of replacing, as I would replace all 4 rather than mixing brands and tyre design and I do not want to be stuck with what came on the vehicle.
I also asked my tyre store which I have used for years and he agreed with my thoughts and was surprised at Audi' s reply for the S3 vehicle.
Do any of you have reasons to say why I should not be following this procedure? Also the S3 is setup for pronounced understeer from the get go with its front wheel drive bias

Sounds like Audi has the same philosophy as BMW does regarding not rotating tires. I previously had 2 AWD BMWs and like Audi they do not recommend rotation due to the cars being AWD. Personally I've always suspected this philosophy is more of a ploy to sell more tires than any other logic. Fortunately I install separate winter tires/wheels each winter which allows me to rotate the tires during the changeover.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
Im my current car ...........erm....................10k and the fronts are dead ........ whoops ......

Reactions: Jassyo06
Sounds like Audi has the same philosophy as BMW does regarding not rotating tires. I previously had 2 AWD BMWs and like Audi they do not recommend rotation due to the cars being AWD. Personally I've always suspected this philosophy is more of a ploy to sell more tires than any other logic. Fortunately I install separate winter tires/wheels each winter which allows me to rotate the tires during the changeover.

I do the same thing winter and summer tyre/rims are rotated at every change, which is once a year. As I still have not received my car as of this date, dealer says the next two weeks for sure. I am going to take a chance on no winter tyres for about 3 weeks left for winter here (Vancouver). Save me a few bucks on tyres and rims, plus no snow tyres available in size I need.....sold out due to a very unusual wintery snap we had for 4 weeks and seasonal weather here now +7 to -1

Currently at just over 22,000 miles on the original tyres (Conti Sport 5), back are around 6mm and fronts are almost on the 3mm wear marker.

Longest I've ever had a set of front tyres! Will change at 2mm, so hoping for 25,000

That's amazing if true. Might have to consider this tyre next time round.

That's amazing if true. Might have to consider this tyre next time round.

100% true unless someone's switched my tyres free of charge without me knowing :pride:

My last set of tyres on my previous car lasted just over 19,000.

I guess I'm just lucky

I am still on the original tyres at 21000 miles but l don't drive the car hard, should get another few hundred miles out of them, Ps only used launch control once

I thought I drove reasonably sedately, but I've never had a pair of tyres last more than 10k :(

albeit I average about 5-6k/year (Michelin pilot sport 2/3, tried pirelli Pzeros once, hated them, no grip, awful wet handling...)

Last edited:
My best with a set of tyres was 27k and believe it not they were Nankangs. Superb wearing tyre. I'm at 15k and have 4mm at the front and 5.5mm at the rear. Well, one rear has 8 as I got a side wall puncture, but it was at 5.5 when it required changing! Think I've driven this car harder than I have others but tyre wear isn't too bad. That's on Pirellis.

On my 1.4 COD after 15.5k miles the fronts are c.4.5-5.5mm and the rears are c. 5-6mm (all were 7mm when new)
My expectation is the fronts will need changing at c.25k miles and the rears at c.30k miles (down to around 3mm)
So, will probably change all 4 at 25k miles which I think is quite a good life.

I swapped out the front Conti's on my S3 at 19k and the rears at 20k about a month or so ago. They probably had about 3mm left on them, but with the crappy weather I was happy to change them and move onto something with more grip.

Still on the standard continentals from new - currently on 21k and probably 3mm left on the front...

It all depends on what sort of driving you do, I don't do any motorway driving and usually get about 12K from a set.
The S3, although supposed to be FWD biased, is wearing them all down at the same rate
I drive in Dynamic 100% of the time so maybe that uses more rear than the other modes.

Reactions: TYb
I have Kumho 225/40/18s on my 1.6TDI SE, both front and back have done nearly 30k miles now

Perks of long motorway commutes and having the power of a sewing machine :D

Reactions: Terminator x
Just to add another data point, the fronts on my 1.4 COD S-line lasted 25k miles (contisport5, A-road and country lane driving). The 1.4 seems relatively easy on tyres both due to lightness and reduced torque compared to the diesels.

Rears still fine at 35k.

It all depends on what sort of driving you do, I don't do any motorway driving and usually get about 12K from a set.
The S3, although supposed to be FWD biased, is wearing them all down at the same rate
I drive in Dynamic 100% of the time so maybe that uses more rear than the other modes.
Yeah the tyre wear between front and rear on the S3 will wear almost at the same rate, l got 1000 miles more on the rears than the on the fronts

on my PFL S3 I got 17k from the Contis, and both front and rears were worn pretty close to the same - very little difference...

I reckon I could have got another 1k at least from them, but a massive nail in my offside front put pay to that! I changed all four at the same time with Audi price matching Quik Fit.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
on my PFL S3 I got 17k from the Contis, and both front and rears were worn pretty close to the same - very little difference...

I reckon I could have got another 1k at least from them, but a massive nail in my offside front put pay to that! I changed all four at the same time with Audi price matching Quik Fit.
£405 fitted for all 4 tyres fitted from quick fit last year

Reactions: Tej13

Yeah I always get a price match by Audi. Don't touch tyre centres with a barge pole after previous bad experiences. At least my dealership come out to confirm no damage on alloys and will sort it if they cause any issues. As long as they keep price matching, I'll keep using them.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Tej13
I still have 4-5mm left on my fronts after 31k miles! MPSS.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom.H and Jassyo06
Yeah I always get a price match by Audi. Don't touch tyre centres with a barge pole after previous bad experiences. At least my dealership come out to confirm no damage on alloys and will sort it if they cause any issues. As long as they keep price matching, I'll keep using them.

yep, exactly this.

Audi quoted me £675 for four new tyres!! Matched Quikfit's price at £397.97 fully fitted without any quibble, and I also had the comfort of not having worry about arguing over any damage to my wheels.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
yep, exactly this.

Audi quoted me £675 for four new tyres!! Matched Quikfit's price at £397.97 fully fitted without any quibble, and I also had the comfort of not having worry about arguing over any damage to my wheels.

I've had issues with Kwik Fit causing damage, losing locking nut etc and also made Farmer Autocare buy a new split rim wheel for wifes Z4 previously as their idiot fitter dropped the wrench into the rim then tried saying it must've happened when we were driving. Whereas as, because we're such good, repeat customers at our dealers, they wouldn't dream of not taking responsibility.

Every time l visit quick fit for new tyres...... A few Diazepam are required lol

Reactions: Tej13
I wouldn’t go anywhere near kwik fit if they paid me, horrendous stories from more than one person I know about them not properly tightening wheel nuts etc.

I swear by Barum Bravauris 3HM tyres and once my new A3 needs tyres I shall be getting them again. Barum are made by Continental but don’t come with the ridiculous ‘premium tyre’ price. They are superb in wet and dry and seem to last forever. The 3HM stands for ‘high mileage’ by the way. I had them on my previous A3 and after a good 10,000 miles they still easily had 6mm tread left. No Michelin or Pirelli tyre I’ve had has ever been that good.

I’m happy to watch tyre snobs spend ridiculous amounts on ‘premium’ brands whilst I pay a lot less for the same (if not much better) quality.

Barum (Continental) Bravauris 3HM, you read it here first.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t go anywhere near kwik fit if they paid me, horrendous stories from more than one person I know about them not properly tightening wheel nuts etc.

I swear by Barum Bravauris 3HM tyres and once my new A3 needs tyres I shall be getting them again. Barum are made by Continental but don’t come with the ridiculous ‘premium tyre’ price. They are superb in wet and dry and seem to last forever. The 3HM stands for ‘high mileage’ by the way.

I’m happy to watch people spend ridiculous amounts on ‘premium’ brands whilst I pay a lot less for the same quality.

Barum (Continental) Bravauris 3HM, you read it here first.
Sorry I'll pay for the tyres that l like over value although l don't like to get ripped off in anyway at all but Pzeros will be fitted to my car until l sell it on if there good enough for lamborghinis well that's fine by me

Reactions: MattSedg
Fair enough, and I never got them because of value I tried them after a recommendation having spent years paying through the nose for so called ‘premium’ brands that were frankly sh!t.

Some people turn their noses up at Lidl or Aldi because they are classed as ‘value’ supermarkets..... doesn’t matter that they nearly always win brand of the year for certain products they sell.

Oh, and if Lamborghini use Pzeros then they simply must be good right? Either that or Pirelli offered them the biggest backhander or laid on the best dinner spread. Like it or not, that’s how business works these days.

Folks, don’t always believe the hype.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbo10