Brake pedal goes to floor - OK?

alfiejts

Reaction score
Now I can't believe this is right, but I'd appreciate others trying this and seeing what happens....

My brakes work just fine. No issues whatsoever. I know what spongy brakes feel like from servicing and bleeding brake systems for 20 years - however this is a new one on me....

Whilst sitting stationary at the lights or at a junction with my foot on the brake to keep the car still (DSG gearbox.....), I've discovered that if I gradually apply more pressure to the pedal, I can gradually press it further and further down, until the pedal is actually against the floor.

Now all my knowledge of hydraulic systems and "normal" brake systems tells me this is impossible, unless there's a massive amount of air in the system, but the brakes don't act like that when driving on the move.
The pedal doesn't "pump up" like you'd expect with air in the system.

The brake fluid was repalced at the 2-year service by the dealer, so they have been "fiddled with" since new, but that was just beforfe I bought the car, so I don't know what they were like before.

Can someone else please try this and see what happens? Is it just a feature of the ABS/EBD systems fitted to the car or have I something to worry about?

i used to ahve a tt 3.2 DSG and when stopped with foot on pedal it would slowly be able to be depressed more and more BUT it never when to the floor.

so sound sort of normal but not if you know what i mean. some extra movement yes...to the floor no.

i would go get it checked.

skooby

mine used to be able to be depressed to the floor when stationary - didn't really think much of it - heres a test for you.... drive at 30 then try and press it to the floor - if you don't have the balls then the brakes are fine! ;-)

I'm pretty sure that on every car i have owned (old and new), with enough pressure you can push the pedal to the floor when stationary. So i would say its normal. You would never need that kind of brake pressure when moving anyway - even an emergency stop would only require only moderate brake pressure - enough to overcome tyre grip and activate ABS anyway

Not quite an answer to the original question.....but if I press the brake pedal when stationary, it seems very spongy and nearly touches the floor, press it again and the resistance increases dramatically....it this normal?
When driving I find quite a lot of slack before the brakes are effective and this has caught me out on a couple of occassions........
I used to drive a LCR with Brembo brakes and they had awesome stopping power and I am now thinking of upgrading the A3's brakes to something inbetween normal and Brembo....any suggestions?