EGR MOD

DAMO1.9TDI

130BHP+,A4+ K & N Filter, Tuning Box.
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone tell me how to reduce the EGR to a minimum, I know that it is explained on the Ross-tech website, but when i enter the adpations screen it does not give me the option as per the instruction. I have a fully registered KEY-USB interface with Release 607.

:hubbahubba:

I didn't think you could do this on the PD engines?

Probably why you can't see the bits that enable you to make the adaptation?

:applaus: Figured out my problem, didnt enter the 12233 code.

I was studying my ross tech manual, and I read that you couldn't alter the EGR operation on these PD engines, hence my post, but I guess it needs updating!

A stupid question now, what does it do anyway? Why is it a good thing to minimise the EGR? :eek:)

I read that you couldn't alter the EGR operation on these PD engines

In North America, all PD engines have EDC16 egine management systems and on those, there's no EGR tweak.

In Europe, you guys got PD engines long before we did, and many of them still had EDC15, where the EGR tweak is no problem.

-Uwe-

Why dont you just take the pipe off from the exhaust to inlet manifold and block the holes with some metal.Thats what ive done and now have no EGR at all.

To those who are asking what EGR is: Its exhaust gas re-circulation. To reduce emissions you can pass some of the 'used' air back into the engine so that the unburnt fuel in it has a second chance to combust. Problem with this is that their is less 'new' air by proportion so you can end up with poor combustion, which means more smoke and less power. Partly combusted diesel also leaves sticky ming on everything which coats the turbo, manifold etc, which isn't good for the engine in the long run.

You can still adjust the amount of EGR and still be within emissions compliance apparently. But seeing as cars ar'nt tested in the same way for emissions compliance when they are on the road it doesn't really matter, and in any case it can reduces particulates in the exhaust gas which can only be a good thing.

I wasn't having a pop at anybody who's done this by the way, I was just after an explanation of why it was worth doing, and icenutter has explained that very nicely! Thanks.

I'm going to get on and do this to my car I think.

To reduce emissions you can pass some of the 'used' air back into the engine so that the unburnt fuel in it has a second chance to combust.
Not exactly. On a diesel, the main reason for EGR is to reduce the amount of excess oxygen in the combustion chamber. At high temperatures, excess oxygen combines with nitrogen (air is ~80% nitrogen) to form various oxides of nitrogen ("NOx") which are a pollutant. EGR significantly reduces NOx emissions. It has nothing to do with giving unburnt fuel a second chance to combust.

-Uwe-

this is how to do it on an audi a4 AWX engine,
Select -> 01-Engine -> Login -> 12233 -> Do It -> Adaptation -> Channel 03.
Increase the New Value as high as it will go. On most ECUs this will
be 33768 (from the default value of 32768). Then Test -> Save.

Avoiding the Need for Intake Manifold Cleaning - Recalibrating the EGR System - this vehicle is equipped with a CCV (crankcase vent) system and an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system. Oily fumes from the CCV system can combine with carbon particles from the EGR system to form a black sticky tar in the intake system. This eventually starts restricting the amount of airflow into the engine, resulting in gradual power loss as the vehicle ages and the intake clogging becomes worse. In rare cases a MIL ("check engine" light) may be tripped, with an intake manifold pressure control code set, but normally this does not happen and no codes are set. Operating conditions, fuel quality, oil quality, driving habits, and general condition of the engine all have some effect on how long the intake system survives before clogging up. It can be prevented and this recalibration is highly recommended for all TDI owners.
A VW specific scan tool such as VAG-COM is required for this procedure. With the engine warmed up and running at idle in neutral with all major accessories such as air conditioning turned off, connect the scan tool cable and start the scan tool software. Select engine control module. "Login" using 12233 as the access code. Select "adaptation" and go to adaptation block 3. Give the accelerator pedal a quick "blip" to ensure that the EGR remains turned on for the next minute while you perform the following steps. Note that the display shows a default adaptation value of 32768 and shows approximately 250 +/- 20 mg/stroke of air intake volume. (If it does not show this, you are either on the wrong screen, or you have an older ECU that differs slightly - see next paragraph.) If all is well, enter 33768 as the new adaptation value, and select "test". Note that the displayed air intake volume changes, usually to about 370 mg/stroke. The specification limit is 370 mg/stroke, so if you want to remain within OEM shop manual specifications for emission control reasons, you might have to enter a number slightly smaller than 33768. (If you don't care about road-legal NOx emission limits then leave it at 33768. [Depending on the usage cycle, NOx at this setting can be increased by as much as 40%]) If all is well and you have a seting that you are happy with which results in an intake air volume of 370 mg/stroke or just a hair less, enter "save". Now your intake manifold either will never clog, or will take so long that the engine will wear out first.

Hope this answers all the questions. :rock: :nyah:

Air Intake System, EGR, PCV - Air is drawn through a conventional air filter and into the so-called MAF, or mass-air-flow meter. A hot wire (older models) or hot film (later models) is contained inside this sensor and is maintained at a constant temperature. The electrical current which is required to maintain this temperature is an indication of how much airflow is passing over the sensing element. After the MAF, a hose connection comes from the valve cover where crankcase fumes are drawn into the intake air. From there, the intake air is drawn into the compressor of the turbocharger (see below) where it is compressed, but the compression process also increases the temperature of the air. The hot compressed air passes through a small heat exchanger known as the intercooler. When heat is removed, the density of the air increases, thus increasing the amount (by mass) of air which is drawn into theengine. The objective is to make the air going into the engine cylinders as dense as possible (pressurized and cooled) to allow maximum power output. From the intercooler, the pressurized and cooled air goes to the intake manifold where it is mixed with a proportion of exhaust from the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system for emission control purposes. (The EGR system is connected on the high-pressure side of both the exhaust and intake systems.) This mixture then goes into the engine cylinders. Unlike with a gasoline engine, there is no throttle in a diesel engine. Power output is governed using the fuel supply only. The lean air/fuel mixture is one of the reasons that the diesel engine is so efficient, and the lack of intake restriction due to absence of a throttle reduces pumping losses, and that is another reason that a diesel engine is more efficient when running under part load. The A4 engines have an added intake manifold flap to reduce shudder and compression pressures on diesel shutdown. Previous A3 TDI's did not have this feature.
Every Thing you need to know can be found Here:
http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/

Im gonna try this VAGcom mod and if it makes a difference I may try the EGR blank off mod..... do you think it would still pass an MOT with the EGR blanked off??? hmm....

just tried this just now,except the maximum figure I could save was 33638 which showed erxactly 370 on idle...... I'll see how it goes

I was all geared up for doing this, but have now read elsewhere that fuel economy has got worse. Some posters were saying that when EGR was re-enabled, their MPG went back up again.

Any comments from someone on here who has changed the setting?

Well, I tried it today - used VAGCOM to alter the value to the recommended one on www.tdiclub.com and the flow rate was still well within tolerances. Can't really comment on economy or smoke yet but the engine does seem to pick-up slightly better from low revs.

I disconnected my EGR with what was a success. No smoke and better pickup. Since doing this I had a constant whine at idle. I decided the turbo was still spinning. I put the pipe back on gave it some revs and then it settled down and the noise went! Hmmm I'm not convinced about fully removing the EGR pipe. Instead I have done the above mod and also increased fuelling adaption ch1 from 32768 to 32784.

In North America, all PD engines have EDC16 egine management systems and on those, there's no EGR tweak.

In Europe, you guys got PD engines long before we did, and many of them still had EDC15, where the EGR tweak is no problem.

-Uwe-

i read that you couldnt do the egr tweak on the pd engines aswell, but if what your saying is correct does this mean you can alter injector quantitity aswell? if so is there any gains to be had?

this is how to do it on an audi a4 AWX engine,
Select -> 01-Engine -> Login -> 12233 -> Do It -> Adaptation -> Channel 03.
Increase the New Value as high as it will go. On most ECUs this will
be 33768 (from the default value of 32768). Then Test -> Save.

Avoiding the Need for Intake Manifold Cleaning - Recalibrating the EGR System - this vehicle is equipped with a CCV (crankcase vent) system and an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system. Oily fumes from the CCV system can combine with carbon particles from the EGR system to form a black sticky tar in the intake system. This eventually starts restricting the amount of airflow into the engine, resulting in gradual power loss as the vehicle ages and the intake clogging becomes worse. In rare cases a MIL ("check engine" light) may be tripped, with an intake manifold pressure control code set, but normally this does not happen and no codes are set. Operating conditions, fuel quality, oil quality, driving habits, and general condition of the engine all have some effect on how long the intake system survives before clogging up. It can be prevented and this recalibration is highly recommended for all TDI owners.
A VW specific scan tool such as VAG-COM is required for this procedure. With the engine warmed up and running at idle in neutral with all major accessories such as air conditioning turned off, connect the scan tool cable and start the scan tool software. Select engine control module. "Login" using 12233 as the access code. Select "adaptation" and go to adaptation block 3. Give the accelerator pedal a quick "blip" to ensure that the EGR remains turned on for the next minute while you perform the following steps. Note that the display shows a default adaptation value of 32768 and shows approximately 250 +/- 20 mg/stroke of air intake volume. (If it does not show this, you are either on the wrong screen, or you have an older ECU that differs slightly - see next paragraph.) If all is well, enter 33768 as the new adaptation value, and select "test". Note that the displayed air intake volume changes, usually to about 370 mg/stroke. The specification limit is 370 mg/stroke, so if you want to remain within OEM shop manual specifications for emission control reasons, you might have to enter a number slightly smaller than 33768. (If you don't care about road-legal NOx emission limits then leave it at 33768. [Depending on the usage cycle, NOx at this setting can be increased by as much as 40%]) If all is well and you have a seting that you are happy with which results in an intake air volume of 370 mg/stroke or just a hair less, enter "save". Now your intake manifold either will never clog, or will take so long that the engine will wear out first.

Hope this answers all the questions. :rock: :nyah:

Has anyone tried this egr mod on a 2.0 fsi engine and is the procedure the same?

any help on the 2.0 fsi egr please chaps? My emmissions light is on and I have a divergence error.