My A3 S line TDI

bigdavevw

Reaction score
Hi guys, not been on here in a while! thought I'd post up pics of my car.

I have recently got it (less than a week) picked it up for £1550. Has 160k on the clock but goes well and the body is in great condition.

I intend to do all the little jobs on it myself, such as pads, discs, wheel bearing, wiper blades, servicing etc.

I'm getting the alloys refurbed next week as they are kerbed to f#ck.

There is a strange noise coming from the steering rack tho. I jacked both wheels off the ground today and turned the road wheels back and forth. The is a sort of whirring noise, sort of like noisy gears meshing. This happens when the engine is on or off.

I will try and post a video of it as my description isn't the best haha.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-27-23-14-49.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-27-23-14-49.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 163
  • Screenshot_2016-11-27-23-14-58.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-27-23-14-58.png
    778 KB · Views: 199
  • Screenshot_2016-11-27-23-15-12.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-27-23-15-12.png
    704 KB · Views: 147
Nice car and nice leather seats - looks like a bargain and a 2.0 TDI still going strong at 160K - what's not to like. :yum: As you say, a video clip on the steering noise might give everyone a better clue

Nice, quite a bit of car there for the money.

Always difficult to guess these things via video clips and forums but in my opinion it's not an obvious failed steering rack clicking/clunking noise. As you recorded it when the engine was off, the only other thing I can guess is that it is the scratching/scraping noise of a failed top mount bearing twisting as you turn the steering wheel.

Yea hard to diagnose from crappy phone videos!

There is some play in the steering side to side, could this indicate the rack and pinion is worn?

could this indicate the rack and pinion is worn?
Could be. Just a process of observation and elimination. A common and relatively cheap-to-fix problem is just worn track/tie rod ends. Plenty of videos on Youtube about diagnosing worn track/tie rod ends