Gearbox problem

SamHendry

Reaction score
Hey people. As the title suggests I have an issue with my box. i was only 6 laps into a 4 hour session at knockhill today In my s3 and devastatingly I lost drive from the gearbox! Gutted!

The box is behaving very strange. I have no drive from 1,2,5,6 gear and nothing from reverse gear. Third gear still works. But if I try to select fourth gear or neutral its still in third gear! Hopefully that makes sense. Basically stuck in third.

I don't trailer my car to the track so I had to make the 150 mile trip home in third gear! Lol

good effort with the drive home :)

not an expert, but surely the selector fork?

Was one of the less pleasant drives home! That's for sure. 40mph at 3500rpm for 3/4 hrs.

Yeah most likely the the rivets on the selector fork? It's second time it's happened to me in 20k miles. I think I'll strengthen the next box I put in.

Was one of the less pleasant drives home! That's for sure. 40mph at 3500rpm for 3/4 hrs.

Yeah most likely the the rivets on the selector fork? It's second time it's happened to me in 20k miles. I think I'll strengthen the next box I put in.

drive slower? just clean it and admire its rear?

why doesn't everyone just slow down and take in the view once in a while.

Reactions: Jeriho
With a bit of luck, it might only be the linkage.

I removed the the linkage from the top of the gearbox and manually selected gears, but still suffered from the issue I mentioned already. That ruled out linkage. Was strange it felt like it was selecting gears but I either had no drive or only third gear.

Frustrating to loose track time but doesn't really change much. I already planned pulling the engine gearbox out together after knockhill to rod it and go hybrid.

Cheers dude. I'm going down the aet 380 route so I'm really buzzing. It's gonna cost a lot of money but I know it will be worth every penny when I get it back out on track!!

Reactions: Alex C