Diesel smell around/in car?

ValiantSaint

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Ever since I picked up my A4 1.9 tdi Quattro last week, I have been unable to use the heating/air-conditioning (unless on re-circulated air) due to a lingering smell of diesel in the car, with the blowers on, at low speed. I took the car to a local garage, and after putting the car on diagnostics has said that the car has a small exhaust leak near the turbo assembly and an oil leak near the thermostat housing. Could these two things cause the smell? It even smells really strongly of diesel, when the window is open, and the smell of diesel lingers around the car for a while, after shutting off the engine. Is this normal? Could it be over fulling? Would cleaning the egr valve help with the constant smell of diesel? (I feel bad for people who are sat behind me in traffic!) many thanks ;-)

Edit: I've been told by a mechanic to change the cabin filter for a new one that's infused with Charcoal, as if the old one has perished, this might not help with the fumes . . . . . .

Had a similar problem with a Bora which was caused by the Tandem pump leaking.
Niether an exhaust or an oil leak would show up on diagnostics. Find another Garage.

Thanks, Paul. I think the garage I took it to, found nothing after diagnostics, so went looking elsewhere and then found the oil and exhaust leaks....

Thanks to all of you for the help, so I've taken the car to my mate's garage, and between us we've changed all the filters (air, cabin, oil, fuel) new oil, flushed the injectors with injector cleaner straight into the new fuel filter (lots of black smoke!) and washed the engine down, as it was covered in loads of oil (All down the LHS of the block) And, I'm still getting the diesel smell! I know that the basic service wouldn't help that much, but made me feel better!

My mate also checked the exhaust, which had no visible leaks (back pressure was good etc) the wire gauss 'step down' near the downpipe did let out a small amount of bubbles when doused in soapy water, but not too much. And the only oil leak he could possibly find is on an oil pipe off the turbo? I did notice that after I moved the car off my driveway today, that there's a few small circles of oil on the floor, so something's leaking.......I've included the invoice from the first garage's assessment of the problems - can't understand a word of it!

Also, the two-piece plastic under tray's fecked (Where can I get one from?) The cheeky buggers I bought it from, just tie wrapped it to the car!

Attachments

• _20161116_202656.JPG
    _20161116_202656.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, Gaz. I think the front part of the undertray is ok. Is the second piece (gearbox cover?) that's fecked. What is that called? And does it matter that it's a Quattro?

EDIT: I forgot to put in my previous post, that the smell of diesel is also quite strong when I have my window down, at slow speeds - is this normal for an old PD lump? It smells of diesel around that back of the car, as well.

Last edited: