3-door vs 5-door - owner opinions? any regrets/issues?

Beauty is definitely subjective, I loved my Sportback, really easy to get passengers in and out, my issue was that I never had any passengers, 99% of the time I'm the only one in the car so a 3 door, when I was changing the car was the obvious choice. Absolutely no point in me buying a Sportback or Saloon as the additional cost for me, in no way, out-ways the practicality.

I do think that the 3 door looks a bit "fatter", if that's the right word. Again that's my eye, the smaller shape isn't to everyone's taste.

@ Jass : The Photos above were taken at Ti22 fresh from a detail session with crystal serum black applied by James. Thanks for the comment though mate, you gotta love a fresh squeaky clean car.

Back on topic, If there is one huge regret that plays on me, it's not the lack of doors or additional space (not that much more in SP/SL form anyway) it's the no B&O system. The standard Audi Sound System, even with Technology Pack, is utter "y fronts"! I've even contemplated retrofitting it, it's bothering me that much. No fun listening to music anymore

We live and learn eh! Next car will definitely have B&O, without question, worth the small cost.

@ OP, Whatever you decide to go for you'll no doubt enjoy it very much, nothing like the feeling of having a new car.
G

Reactions: Jassyo06
Beauty is definitely subjective, I loved my Sportback, really easy to get passengers in and out, my issue was that I never had any passengers, 99% of the time I'm the only one in the car so a 3 door, when I was changing the car was the obvious choice. Absolutely no point in me buying a Sportback or Saloon as the additional cost for me, in no way, out-ways the practicality.

I do think that the 3 door looks a bit "fatter", if that's the right word. Again that's my eye, the smaller shape isn't to everyone's taste.

@ Jass : The Photos above were taken at Ti22 fresh from a detail session with crystal serum black applied by James. Thanks for the comment though mate, you gotta love a fresh squeaky clean car.

Back on topic, If there is one huge regret that plays on me, it's not the lack of doors or additional space (not that much more in SP/SL form anyway) it's the no B&O system. The standard Audi Sound System, even with Technology Pack, is utter "y fronts"! I've even contemplated retrofitting it, it's bothering me that much. No fun listening to music anymore

We live and learn eh! Next car will definitely have B&O, without question, worth the small cost.

@ OP, Whatever you decide to go for you'll no doubt enjoy it very much, nothing like the feeling of having a new car.
G
Well we are poles apart mate lve got the bang&olufsen thing in my car and l am not much into music at all the ***.. Pardon the pun would have done me well fine lol seriously lt came with car.expensive leds for jassy

I get ya mate, the thing is I do like good quality sound and the fact this standard sound system isn't up to much is very frustrating. Couple that with the weird crackle and bass cutting nonsense it does when it's above volume 18, it's a ****** nightmare.

Not much I can do about it either as retro fitting B&O would be around 2k I think. Silly money!

Other than that I'm really really happy with the car. You still hankering after that 5 Pot RS3/TT S mate?

G

I get ya mate, the thing is I do like good quality sound and the fact this standard sound system isn't up to much is very frustrating. Couple that with the weird crackle and bass cutting nonsense it does when it's above volume 18, it's a ****** nightmare.

Not much I can do about it either as retro fitting B&O would be around 2k I think. Silly money!

Other than that I'm really really happy with the car. You still hankering after that 5 Pot RS3/TT S mate?

G
Yeah we live and learn... Hankering you betcha....but trying to more patient....mate but willing to wait another wee while

Reactions: Mr.G
Hold out Chief, you'll be much happier in a properly naughty, loud and raw RS3, rather than a primarily woman owned car (TTS).

I get ya though mate, while I do really like the TTS, seeing one go past on the road or one parked up somewhere while you walk past admiring it is a different thing than owning one. Living with one daily...I couldn't do it & Once you've committed and bought a TTS there's no chance changing for an RS3 shortly after (once the novelty of new car wears off) unless you are willing to loose money all over again.

If I could afford one I'd buy an RS6, maybe if I win the lottery lol, for now I'll keep on day dreaming and enjoying my Sepango Fandango Y Front stereo S3.

G

Sportback is perfect for my needs always had hatches 5 doors make it easier with little lad - no regrets or issues here.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and batch
Thanks so much for all your input guys. I went to look around for offers and now I'm giving myself this weekend to decide and ordering on Monday haha

All those pics look great. I just don't want to regret anything, y'know how It is! Good point about the sound system though! I wanted to tick that *** box but just couldn't decide.

I had a trawl around the forum and there were a couple of topics regarding the choice...since I like music I think I will tick that box. Won't go for B&O though I don't think.

Will definitely let you know what I choose and then you can bash me for picking the wrong one/options later :D lol

@Mojave96 just wanted to point out (just making sure) I believe @Mr.G is saying he has the *** (one level up from standard as far as I'm aware) and he isn't too keen on it (many many similar posts on this forum)... And he wishes for the B&O

If you're really into your music I'd go for the B&O... Mainly because there seems to be a LOT of people here who have gone for the *** and regret not upping it one more level to the B&O - There are a few/couple of people retrofitting parts from the upgraded systems but it obviously is costly and isn't the same overall

Reactions: Jassyo06, Mojave96 and Rob2k68
@Mojave96 just wanted to point out (just making sure) I believe @Mr.G is saying he has the *** (one level up from standard as far as I'm aware) and he isn't too keen on it (many many similar posts on this forum)... And he wishes for the B&O

If you're really into your music I'd go for the B&O... Mainly because there seems to be a LOT of people here who have gone for the *** and regret not upping it one more level to the B&O - There are a few/couple of people retrofitting parts from the upgraded systems but it obviously is costly and isn't the same overall

Thanks for that but I don't think I will be able to stretch myself to tick the B&O sound system tbh. I found myself ticking nearly all the boxes on the configurator and even though many cost under 1k, they do add up.

Also, I keep myself in check by remembering that I am coming down from a 2005 A3 so anything is better lmao

Reactions: azibux1 and Jassyo06
Thanks for that but I don't think I will be able to stretch myself to tick the B&O sound system tbh. I found myself ticking nearly all the boxes on the configurator and even though many cost under 1k, they do add up.

Also, I keep myself in check by remembering that I am coming down from a 2005 A3 so anything is better lmao
So what boxes have you ticked l am sure we could help you to refine them just a little

Reactions: Mojave96, Simon L and pburv

If you really like good music in the car DO NOT skip the B&O. I've said it loads of threads before and to be honest there's been a fair few caught in the 'retrofit nightmare' after really regretting not speccing it.

Assuming I stay with Audi it's the one option I will tick every single time.

To use a young man's (or lady's) phrase..........................it's bangin!! lol

Reactions: Rob2k68, Jassyo06, Mojave96 and 2 others
So what boxes have you ticked l am sure we could help you to refine them just a little

Right so here's the full overview current options and quote I have.

Audi A3 1.2TFSI 3door Sport S-tronic
Privacy Glass
Deletion of badges
Delete sport suspension
Xenon package + comfort pack
Non smoking pack

That's all coming to around £216 pcm
With £1k cash deposit and about £2500 part exchange.

Now if I can, I will add on top of that the B&O sound system and see where the quote comes at. Shouldn't be much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
Right so here's the full overview current options and quote I have.

Audi A3 1.2TFSI 3door Sport S-tronic
Privacy Glass
Deletion of badges
Delete sport suspension
Xenon package + comfort pack
Non smoking pack

That's all coming to around £216 pcm
With £1k cash deposit and about £2500 part exchange.

Now if I can, I will add on top of that the B&O sound system and see where the quote comes at. Shouldn't be much more.

The B&O should add about £20/25

If you really like good music in the car DO NOT skip the B&O. I've said it loads of threads before and to be honest there's been a fair few caught in the 'retrofit nightmare' after really regretting not speccing it.

Assuming I stay with Audi it's the one option I will tick every single time.

To use a young man's (or lady's) phrase..........................it's bangin!! lol

Aye ye where on Song this morning mate way de banter....Charmer ye arelol

Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv and Simon L
The B&O should add about £20/25

Yeah I set my budget up to £250 per month so that's about right I suppose.

Also, the car was £2k part exchange, not 2.5, so there will be some room for deposit haggle as it is now valued at 2.5 which I didn't take into consideration :D got told there's roughly £50 depreciation each calendar month so still looks about right anyway. Hopefully when I order, the car comes as quickly as possible. Hoping before august...

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
I went for the SB for practical reasons. Have had several 3 door courtesy cars and perhaps my imagination but they seemed to be less twitchy.

Am more than happy with my ***, but the standard system is a bit flat.

Reactions: Simon L, Rob2k68 and Mojave96
If you compare *** and B&O side by side make sure you play with the B&O settings otherwise it sounds a bit flat on standard settings. With a bit of playing around it really comes into its own and there's no way I'd be without it now but it's obviously down to the budget and how much you like to listen to tunes whilst in the motor.

I've never heard *** to be fair just making a point that standard settings won't give you the best from the B&O.

Reactions: nickk709, Mojave96, pburv and 1 other person
It's official, it's on order! Thanks to Jonathan at carfile.net.

Here's what I've decided to go with (I can always change it later or something if I decide I want something extra or delete something);

A3 3dr Sport 1.4 COD Ibis White S-Tronic
- Privacy Glass
- Deletion of all badges
- Xenon light pack
- Comfort Pack
- Deletion of sport suspension
- Audi Sound System
- Non Smoking Pack

I'm absolutely chuffed! Can't wait. It will take around 12 weeks but Audi reps will get in touch to confirm soon.

All of this for £260pcm with px+cash at £3000 + audi deposit of £2500

Now...do I want the sport suspension or not...do I want the B&O system? Lol...

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
3dr manual all day long however still looks a little heavy over the rear wheels
5dr looks compromised and too 'estatey'
real reason no 3dr RS3 is two fold, historically not many mass market hatches sell for £40k+ and the assumption has always been that people who buy these cars are a little older than the hot hatch brigade hence DSG and likely kids......3 dr is for cooler people init ;)

Reactions: Mojave96 and froggyr32
It's official, it's on order! Thanks to Jonathan at carfile.net.

Here's what I've decided to go with (I can always change it later or something if I decide I want something extra or delete something);

A3 3dr Sport 1.4 COD Ibis White S-Tronic
- Privacy Glass
- Deletion of all badges
- Xenon light pack
- Comfort Pack
- Deletion of sport suspension
- Audi Sound System
- Non Smoking Pack

I'm absolutely chuffed! Can't wait. It will take around 12 weeks but Audi reps will get in touch to confirm soon.

All of this for £260pcm with px+cash at £3000 + audi deposit of £2500

Now...do I want the sport suspension or not...do I want the B&O system? Lol...
Sports suspension ie s-line suspension,it should sit that bit lower,ergo it should look better
You're above spec is great mate you really don't need anything else

Reactions: pburv and Mojave96
Sports suspension ie s-line suspension,it should sit that bit lower,ergo it should look better
You're above spec is great mate you really don't need anything else

Thanks for that Jassy, I did think I should just leave it haha.

Meanwhile, I know you've seen it but for anyone else who hasn't seen/heard the news regarding the rumoured facelift A3...

I was speaking to an Audi rep a few moments ago and he told me that my curent A3 order couldn't go through the order system.
Then he told me that this is due to the facelifted models coming through, and he will let me know sometime this month (depending when the official info comes on their system) when the new facelift will be available for order.

He did say the new A3 is getting the virtual cockpit and a few other things but doesn't know how much they will be or what will be optional or standard.

Thanks for that Jassy, I did think I should just leave it haha.

Meanwhile, I know you've seen it but for anyone else who hasn't seen/heard the news regarding the rumoured facelift A3...

I was speaking to an Audi rep a few moments ago and he told me that my curent A3 order couldn't go through the order system.
Then he told me that this is due to the facelifted models coming through, and he will let me know sometime this month (depending when the official info comes on their system) when the new facelift will be available for order.

He did say the new A3 is getting the virtual cockpit and a few other things but doesn't know how much they will be or what will be optional or standard.

Hope he's right mate,if he is?l think l might join ye on a new order lol

Reactions: pburv
Hope he's right mate,if he is?l think l might join ye on a new order lol

Yeah same here buddy! Otherwise I might have to slap the f*er Haha
And do it lol

I've got a 3dr because the mrs said we'd need to get a 5dr when a nipper comes along. My plan is to upgrade to RS3 :)

Reactions: Mojave96