2mm tread in 6000 miles, bad/good?

oli356

Reaction score
Car was in with Audi earlier and they have reported 5mm tread on front left and front right (no mention of rears).

I bought 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 in January and have only covered around 6000 miles since. I think new tyres have like 7mm of tread so I'm surprised to hear that I've gone through 2~mm in 6k miles.

The continentals which came with the car, I replaced at 17k miles but I believe they still had 3mm left maybe (I'm assuming they were the originals as I purchased the car at 13k).
If I lost another 4mm in 12000 miles I would be on 1mm at 18k miles, which seems rubbish?

Anything to be concerned about? Do tyres wear faster to begin with and then slow down or anything?

Just ordered a battery for my digital gague so I can keep a closer eye on them...

A few launches and occasional spirited driving but the majority of driving is boring 'easy' driving.

Good tyres wear faster and the previous owner might have driven like ms daisy.
I got around 15k on my PS3 on the A6 and it needed a set all round.

Reactions: oli356
Why should you be concerned at all, a lot on here can nearly go through a set of tyres in 6k miles so your doing well

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolly12, Daveotto, NevMan and 3 others
Car was in with Audi earlier and they have reported 5mm tread on front left and front right (no mention of rears).

I bought 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 in January and have only covered around 6000 miles since. I think new tyres have like 7mm of tread so I'm surprised to hear that I've gone through 2~mm in 6k miles.

The continentals which came with the car, I replaced at 17k miles but I believe they still had 3mm left maybe (I'm assuming they were the originals as I purchased the car at 13k).
If I lost another 4mm in 12000 miles I would be on 1mm at 18k miles, which seems rubbish?

Anything to be concerned about? Do tyres wear faster to begin with and then slow down or anything?

Just ordered a battery for my digital gague so I can keep a closer eye on them...

A few launches and occasional spirited driving but the majority of driving is boring 'easy' driving.

Sounds normal . I can get 10 to 12 k out of most . Yes the wear initially is slightly more pronounced in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: oli356
Why should you be concerned at all, a lot on here can nearly go through a set of tyres in 6k miles so your doing well
£££ :D I'm tight haha.

Sounds like I'm doing OK, was just expecting more like 18k from a set without being below legal limit.

It is what it is at end of day :)

I always see it as anything more than 10k is a bonus. It was more painful in the A6 as all 4 wore pretty evenly at £230 each. The s3 should be more fwd so fronts will go first and being a smaller tyre it should be cheaper than the PS3 on the A6.

I always see it as anything more than 10k is a bonus. It was more painful in the A6 as all 4 wore pretty evenly at £230 each. The s3 should be more fwd so fronts will go first and being a smaller tyre it should be cheaper than the PS3 on the A6.

Fronts and rears tend to wear evenly it's not mostly fwd bias mate

£££ :D I'm tight haha.

Sounds like I'm doing OK, was just expecting more like 18k from a set without being below legal limit.

It is what it is at end of day :)
18 " tyres ain't that expensive unless you go for them fugly noisy Michelin" s like you have lol
I paid £105 a corner for Conti’s got 23k miles out the front ones and 24k out of the the rears

Fronts and rears tend to wear evenly it's not mostly fwd bias mate

I think steering and braking are a bigger influence in a typical situation hence fronts wear quicker in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 " tyres ain't that expensive unless you go for them fugly noisy Michelin" s like you have lol
I paid £105 a corner for Conti’s got 23k miles out the front ones and 24k out of the the rears
I've not really got much to compare the noise to really, I didn't notice any difference between the Contis and the Michelin (I don't find noise to be an issue anyway). But yeah the 18s don't cost too much, I think I was £420 for a set of 4.

I must admit though the P Zeros are a good looking tyre haha.

They also said my rear pads are 65% worn and "Rear disk pads are pitted and slightly coroded" so don't know when I will have to replace them and the cost either... not kept a car long enough or it been at the mileage to need any work done lol.

Sepang looking purple in the video the tech sent..
Upload 2018 8 28 21 19 38

Reactions: Jassyo06
I've not really got much to compare the noise to really, I didn't notice any difference between the Contis and the Michelin (I don't find noise to be an issue anyway). But yeah the 18s don't cost too much, I think I was £420 for a set of 4.

I must admit though the P Zeros are a good looking tyre haha.

They also said my rear pads are 65% worn and "Rear disk pads are pitted and slightly coroded" so don't know when I will have to replace them and the cost either... not kept a car long enough or it been at the mileage to need any work done lol.

Sepang looking purple in the video the tech sent..
View attachment 163960
Burple.....lol Good old sepang its only minus point it had? Was its popularity

Reactions: NevMan and oli356
Just for comparison a health check on my car at 7000 miles recently showed the tyres at 62% worn front right and 47% for the other tyres.

Reactions: Jonny B
Only when l select "R" lol
Doesn’t R stand for race mode? :readit:

My last car I got 22k out of my front ContiSport5’s, and 34k out of the rears

Current car I’ve only done 6k and front tyres are down to 4mm, I’m pretty disappointed with the stock Hankook tyres that came on the car

Reactions: Jonny B
Brand New tyres should come with around 8mm of tread.
My previous car an FK8 Type R had 20" Continental Sport contact 6 tyres which wore at the rate of 1mm per 1000 miles....and that was driving gently. :worried:

Reactions: NevMan, Jassyo06, AlS3BE and 1 other person
My previous car an FK8 Type R had 20" Continental Sport contact 6 tyres which wore at the rate of 1mm per 1000 miles....and that was driving gently. :worried:
Should consider myself lucky then! At 12k miles a year you'd be going through like 2 sets a year... Ouch!

I've had a health check at 15k miles and rear tyres are 55% worn. Fronts not worth mentioning as got them swapped out after I got a puncture. They're about 40% worn and have probably done around 5-6k miles on them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I know this is a thread regarding performance tyres and quicker car than I am about to mention, but...

On my prvious car, I was a complete cheapskate and went for "Dayton" summer tyres (never heard of them before, seems to be a French brand) and "Sava" winter tyres (Slovenian brand). Both sets were 225/45/R17 and I changed from one to another on 1st of November and 1st of April every year.

I **** you not, they lasted for 50 000 miles combined on a tuned 2.0 TDI 8P and the total combined cost of both sets (so 8 tyres) was about 1000 Euros. Did I mention they had well over 4mm of thread when I sold the car?

On my 8V, I went with Continentals as winter tyre and Matador Hectorra 3 as summer tyre as it has amazing reviews, is supposed to be a performance tyre and it doesn't break the bank.

I have done 14k miles in my 2.0 TDI-184 quattro on Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 225/45 R17 tyres from new and when they were checked by my dealer yesterday all still had 4.5mm of tread left.

Yep, FWD only certainly gonna wear through fronts fast with that power.
Dreading to see what we manage to get out of wife's JCW (she drives it harder than me...sometimes :) with P-Zero's on. Currently only 1800 miles on however.

Reactions: Ron240
Yep, FWD only certainly gonna wear through fronts fast with that power.
Absolutely, but what shocked me was the fact that I was generally driving in a gentle manner and was still getting that horrendous wear rate. It's like the tyres were made of treacle!
I rotated front to back so that all 4 would need replacing at the same time....something i have never done.
I estimated at approx. 6000 miles I would fit a better wearing tyre, but I ended up trading it in with only 2400 miles on the clock.
I am happy that the tyres on my S3 will last much longer because my annual mileage is only around 5000, so there's every chance I will never need to replace them. :)

Reactions: NevMan
Absolutely, but what shocked me was the fact that I was generally driving in a gentle manner and was still getting that horrendous wear rate. It's like the tyres were made of treacle!
I rotated front to back so that all 4 would need replacing at the same time....something i have never done.
I estimated at approx. 6000 miles I would fit a better wearing tyre, but I ended up trading it in with only 2400 miles on the clock.
I am happy that the tyres on my S3 will last much longer because my annual mileage is only around 5000, so there's every chance I will never need to replace them. :)
odd, have always heard that Type R's have always been quite hard on rubber (that just sounds wrong). LOL, so you not gonna keep the S3 more than a couple years then. Still enjoying it?

Yes definitely still enjoying my S3. :)
To be honest I don't know exactly how long I will keep it or what I'll get next, but ideally 2 years seems about right.

I am MAKING myself keep my Q5 2 years....I know I can....I know I can....I think I can :worked till 5am:

Reactions: Ron240 and Adam14
20k+ on a set of tyres is good going IMO. Even with 4wd the fronts will always wear more than the rears due to the weight of the engine and scrubbing caused by the steering. Its a good policy to rotate them round several times to even out the wear during their life.