General washing and detailing for a beginner

Toblahoe

Reaction score
Hi all, I've had my A4 a few months now and I want to start cleaning her properly and properly applying wax/Polish as I'm a novice at the moment.

I don't have any auto shops near me expect for halfords so I want to get the best out of it.

What products are really good that are easily found, and what kind of material should I be using to dry the car? I don't have a pressure washer but I have a outdoor hose with an adjustable head so I can change to high pressure, flat, cone etc.
And it means I can attach things like demon foam to the end. (used demon foam a few times, the result wasn't that great).

Thanks for any help.

Hi, you may have stumbled on to a slippery slope of detailing.
There are so many makes etc it's confusing and even everyone in here will recommend different products.
Check out detailingworld website has lots of Info and hours of reading.

Washing the car with the right 2 bucket method and drying it properly will limit surface scratches. A pressure washer is very handy, and a pre wash soak wash a good snow foam can help loosen dirt and remove extra before washing.

Auto smart, do a great tar and glue remover called TARDIS, and the APC cleaner is called G101 and both highly rated.
The APC ( all purpose cleaner) is diluted to a certain strength and can be used for hundreds of stuff, even in the home.

Good luck..

Hi all, I've had my A4 a few months now and I want to start cleaning her properly and properly applying wax/Polish as I'm a novice at the moment.

I don't have any auto shops near me expect for halfords so I want to get the best out of it.

What products are really good that are easily found, and what kind of material should I be using to dry the car? I don't have a pressure washer but I have a outdoor hose with an adjustable head so I can change to high pressure, flat, cone etc.
And it means I can attach things like demon foam to the end. (used demon foam a few times, the result wasn't that great).

Thanks for any help.
The reason being to make snow foam work effectively you need a pressure washer, a hose off a tap will not work correctly.

Product wise ... its more personal preference but I would have to say I am a big fan of autobrite products, find it very easy to apply and remove with cracking results.

From a process point of view I always
Snow foam
Rinse
Hand wash
Rinse with rain water
Dry with thick autobrite microfibre towel
Thts my basic process, if I am detailing a car I will then
Iron x
Rinse snow foam
Rinse
Detar (if needed)
Rinse
Claybar
Rinse
Handwash
Rinse
Dry with mf towel
I will then machine polish (autobrite or menzerna polishes)
Add sealant (finishkare or sonax)
Add hard wax (harly wax)

c74aceb2e16d7e8140c09d6e4e3d6750.jpg

bbcd23f2796d26ee185bad83397bfab8.jpg

Little before and after from a car I did at the weekend. Obviously you dont need to go to that level.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alex jb
A citrus pre wash applied before you snow foam can help for lower area. Auto finesse do a complete kit and they deliver. Claying you car every 2 - 3 months removes surface contaiminents so leaves a glass live finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch clay bar is not tot rough as you will need to polish afterwards as it will leave tiny scratches which will only be seen under certain light, a better option would be a clay mitt.

Watch clay bar is not tot rough as you will need to polish afterwards as it will leave tiny scratches which will only be seen under certain light, a better option would be a clay mitt.
If you keep the panel wet, the claybar folded every time its dirty, I have never had an issue. I only clay when needed, and tbh if u clay u should really polish and wax after anyway.
I only clay 1-2 times per year
Polish 2 times per year
Wax now probably 2 times per annum
Seal when I hard wax so twice a year
Top up with a good quick detailer as necessary.
I think if a car is polished correctly first time round, sealed and waxed effectively there should really be no need to clay or polish multiple times per year especially as fundamentally they are an abrasive product. Follow good washing techniques and u should see minimal scratches added back into your laquer. Thats what I find and have found over time, using the right products, using good technique saves you money and time and time, well thats priceless.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

My maintenance wash is:

Rinse
Snow Foam
Rinse
Wash using 3 bucket method
Rinse
Dry with drying towel

I'd seriously consider investing in a pressure washer and ultimately a snow foam lance, my first pressure washer was only about £50 and lasted me a couple of years, might even be some Black Friday deals kicking around - damage is done to paint by moving dirt/grit around with your washing media

Rinsing with a pressure washer will remove a lot, snow foam helps pull even more off (and it looks cool)- I basically don't like to even touch my car until it looks clean

If you can't get a pressure washer using demon foam is better than nothing - then I'd be looking to get a really deep pile wash mitt that can pull dirt away and trap it - and a decent shampoo to provide plenty of lubrication

There are many many products out there and it's a minefield choosing the right ones (or the ones you like!)

Many places such as Slim's or Cleanyourcar sell online, so it's not difficult to get products not sold in Halfords - but Meguairs and Autoglym aren't bad products

Wow guys thanks a lot for all the info!
I'll spend a few hours on detailingworld and I'll start washing it properly!

You'll be on DW till the spring lol

I'm lucky to know a few good detailers so tend to ask them if I'm unsure, if you want anymore pointers just shout :)