Rear wiper active with fronts

Matt268uk

A3 Sportback
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help. My rear wiper used to come on when the fronts were active and I selected reverse. Recently I've noticed this has stopped happening. They work fine if I use the stalk for the rear wiper. Ive checked the coding and have checked the box for the rear wiper but is still doesn't work. Any ideas?
Thankyou Matt.

Do your reverse lights work?

May be an issue with a switch.

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help. My rear wiper used to come on when the fronts were active and I selected reverse. Recently I've noticed this has stopped happening. They work fine if I use the stalk for the rear wiper. Ive checked the coding and have checked the box for the rear wiper but is still doesn't work. Any ideas?
Thankyou Matt.

My car has this feature (AFAIK it's only on cars with auto wipers?) and I leave the front wiper stalk permanently in the on/auto position.
In my experience though, it only wipes the rear screen when reverse is engaged if there's actually water on the windscreen, so it seems to be a fairly intelligent system?
Does yours work in the wet?

I didnt mention lights, only wipers and merely state what my car does.
My rear wiper only operates automatically when reverse is selected, the wipers are switched on and it is wet.
It never wipes a dry screen.

No auto wipers on mine. It always wiped my screen hen reverse was selected and the fronts were on. Recently I had a rear reversing bulb go but that was fixed and both lights work again but no auto rear wipe. Not sure where to even start looking.

No auto wipers on mine. It always wiped my screen hen reverse was selected and the fronts were on. Recently I had a rear reversing bulb go but that was fixed and both lights work again but no auto rear wipe. Not sure where to even start looking.

Bit of a long shot, but I'm positive that when playing around with VCDS when plugged into my A3 I've come across the 'rear wiper activated when reverse gear selected' somewhere in the adaptations? (Or whatever you call them!)
Could yours have been accidentally turned off?
Might be worth a look?

Bit of a long shot, but I'm positive that when playing around with VCDS when plugged into my A3 I've come across the 'rear wiper activated when reverse gear selected' somewhere in the adaptations? (Or whatever you call them!)
Could yours have been accidentally turned off?
Might be worth a look?
Yeah id possibly go with this have you had your battery disconnected for any amount of time it may of reverted back to factory settings if it has, hopefully someone will know