2015 A3 8V to 2016 S3 8V - MMI SD issues

kc1174

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hello all - so I moved from a 2015 A3 with MMI basic/low (no Connect, 1 SD slot, Sirius radio (it's a US car), backup camera, no navigation, with B&O), to a 2016 S3 with MMI high (Connect , touch, 2 SD slots, DVD, navigation etc., again with B&O). For some reason using the exact same SD card that was in my A3 in my S3, it's missing a whole load of MP3s. I go into a folder and it tells me "no playable media found" or words to that effect. Did Audi downgrade SD functionality between the low and high MMI? :) I tried the SD card in both slots btw and threw tracks it couldn't find in the original SD card onto a second card and it found them, so I have no idea what's going on. It's odd.. Also, the old MMI had an option to shuffle tracks within a folder. The MMI high - shuffle means shuffle everything it finds on the whole card, not just the folder/directory. Loving the car so far - just wishing I had the same basic media playback functions the old one had..

In my MY 2015 A3, the shuffle (random play) only shuffles on the whole card. I think, unless someone can point me to an option I haven't found.

In my MY 2015 A3, the shuffle (random play) only shuffles on the whole card. I think, unless someone can point me to an option I haven't found.
Yeah in media go to settings, check shuffle, then under repeat, make sure directory is checked. Up the top you should see an SD icon, then a picture of a folder with arrows showing the directory option you chose, then a box with the word mix in it for the shuffle.
My supposed better MMI high from a newer car doesn't have the directory option for repeat which is why shuffle shuffles the whole card. As well as missing tracks the older MMI plays just fine.

IMG 4681

Hello all - so I moved from a 2015 A3 with MMI basic/low (no Connect, 1 SD slot, Sirius radio (it's a US car), backup camera, no navigation, with B&O), to a 2016 S3 with MMI high (Connect , touch, 2 SD slots, DVD, navigation etc., again with B&O). For some reason using the exact same SD card that was in my A3 in my S3, it's missing a whole load of MP3s. I go into a folder and it tells me "no playable media found" or words to that effect. Did Audi downgrade SD functionality between the low and high MMI? :) I tried the SD card in both slots btw and threw tracks it couldn't find in the original SD card onto a second card and it found them, so I have no idea what's going on. It's odd.. Also, the old MMI had an option to shuffle tracks within a folder. The MMI high - shuffle means shuffle everything it finds on the whole card, not just the folder/directory. Loving the car so far - just wishing I had the same basic media playback functions the old one had..

I has same issues moving to a 2016 S3 from A3 tfsi quattro. But I found it was a problem wit the card slot, and eventually it started working with the SD card I's always used (ExFAT 128G). But there are software glitches with the Tech Pack High MMI - after 8 month's, 6 visits, 2 new buttons and a software upgrade they still can't figure out why the programmable * steering when button that I use for switching drive select mode just stops working, and maybe then starts working - and drive select mode doesn't show up in the instrument cluster, only in MMI screen.